Shocks

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gong to be getting new shocks this year and have only ever had stock shocks on my '13 XM. What aftermarket shocks are you using, for the ski shock? What do you dis/like about them? I was looking at raptors as they look like a decent shock and are far less expensive compared to Elka or Fox.

Thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run raptor all around. The fronts work awesome and I'm sure the rears do too but there is just so much adjustability I never got the time to properly tune them. What I DONT like about the raptors is the adjusting nob. Looks super cool and trick and works great in a warm showroom but when your fingers are frozen and wet, it's -20, the shock oil is stiff and the shocks are covered in snow and ice those sharp small knobs are a pain to adjust and it hurts your fingers. I hope eventually they will give the option for different styles

EmEight

Reaction score
Im curious as well. I just bought a sled that has Elkas stage 5 front and back. No idea if they are any good or how to set them up. Not to hijack your thread but if anyone had some info for me it would be appreciated.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have raptors on one sled, Exits on another, Fox Evol R's on another - all are a significant upgrade from stock. Actually prefer the Exits over the others, Evol R's a close second (they are all custom valved for the rider, not off the shelf units). I had to source different shock springs for the raptors for my application - they don't have much for spring choices. Once resprung (in my case) they perform very well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im curious as well. I just bought a sled that has Elkas stage 5 front and back. No idea if they are any good or how to set them up. Not to hijack your thread but if anyone had some info for me it would be appreciated.

Talk to Oler on here, he is an ELKA dealer and can probably help you out.

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fox floats all around on my xm, float 3 rc2's on the skis and evols in the rear with nextechs torsion delete kit. Im on this set up for the second time, 1st was my 08 xp, and love it

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try and get ahold of him

Elka are a single rebound and a double compression adjustment. Adjust high speed knob for big hits, adjust low speed for small stutter. Rebound is really a preference as this can effect how a sled sets in a side hill or comes back after a jump or stutter bumps, in general if it is too loose and it will throw you and the sled around. To stuff and it doesn't allow the sled to reach full travel before the next bump. Hopefully the previous rider is about the same weight as you and carries the same amount of gear and has a Mtn/trail valving for your style.

love the Elkas for everything there worth. You get the best of both worlds with valving for big hits and can set it soft for small stutter bumps. Rolling through moguls at 80-100km just sitting is great ;). Screw grooming I say! The thing I don't like about mine is they are valved a little soft for a stock weight skidoo, dived in the corners and if I screwed a landing they would bottom. After I removed 33lbs basically off the front nose and it is much better. Another thing, Elkas are heavy compared to the stock summit x shocks.

Elka is a pricey shock but when comparing remeber to make a apppes to apples comparison. I think the exit X2 and some of the fox shocks offer the same adjusting features as elka, most have only a single rebound/compression adjuster OR just a compression adjustment.

Top Bottom