Shock upgrade

corey.greene

Reaction score
Have a quick question and have looked around on the forum with no results yet. So here it goes.

I'm looking to buy front and rear shocks from a 2014 rmk assault but am unsure if they will fit in my 2008 dragon. Anyone have any experience swapping these shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fronts will fit but you have to drill the bushings out to match the existing bolt in your dragon. im unsure of the rears.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vance is right, i would also double check to ensure the lengths are the same as well. I believe the 14's may be too short.

corey.greene

Reaction score
Thanks again. Will try get some measurements.

corey.greene

Reaction score
Alright now I'm confused. I have taken my front shocks out because I thought they were shot but here is what I found.

When the shocks are in the sled I can push down on the front end and bottom it out, then let off and it rebounds about 4" then I pull the front end up all the way extended let go and the sled drops 4"-5" under its own weight. To me this sled should stay up on its own weight. I took the shocks out and try to compress them with my body weight and nothing if I bounce on them a little bit I can get maybe 1/2" compression out of it.

Are these shocks in need of rebuild or recharge??

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds normal. If they didn't sag under their own weight, you'd have one terrible ride. I can bottom out my shock by hanging on the front, that's not how they work. They absorb the shock through the valving, not entirely the spring. If you have adjustable compression on the shocks, turn it up. (Not tightening the spring, that's preload)

Sent from my iPhone

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe assault front shocks will be 1" longer than dragon. So you might get funny geometery or have fitment issues. Length on the rears should be the same length. But yes the mounting hardware might need some tweaking to fit the dragon

Top Bottom