Shift problems

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06 polaris 800 when shifting into reverse sometimes does not engage immediatly just rattles works good for a few then not again for a few :confused:

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you got to make sure you are fully in reverse and not between gears. i would bet that you have stripped the gear in the transmition. this happend to my dads old 500 excpet in forward gears. to many times of being between gears and giving it gas then grinding the gears.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many possiblities for your problem. The most common are a broken front engine mount or worn primary clutch bushings. Other possibliities are shifter linkage out of adjustement, belt deflection too tight (incorrectly shimmed secondary, or the wrong belt), or sprague clutch hanging up a bit.

Ultimately the secondary (and thus the transmission) is turning too fast for the reverse gears to mesh properly every time. The hard part to firgue out is why is the secondary turning too fast.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many possiblities for your problem. The most common are a broken front engine mount or worn primary clutch bushings. Other possibliities are shifter linkage out of adjustement, belt deflection too tight (incorrectly shimmed secondary, or the wrong belt), or sprague clutch hanging up a bit.

Ultimately the secondary (and thus the transmission) is turning too fast for the reverse gears to mesh properly every time. The hard part to firgue out is why is the secondary turning too fast.

So this bike had clutch kit previously installed before I bought it.Likely that is were the problem lies because I checked the front mount and it is good. The idle sits at around 1150rpm witch I was told was normal.If I pull off the belt cover is there anything there I can look for besides the right belt?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt deflection should be 1-1/4 inches. The sprague clutch should lock in one direction and offer little resistance in the other direction. Primary clutch should not begin to engage (no lateral movement) until well over 1600 RPM )maybe closer to 2000RPM depending on the clutch kit). With the belt removed the primary should close and then open smoothly in both directions when reving the engine from idle to 5500 RPM and back to idle.

The secondary should be turning slowly when idling in netural.

Your idle speed is correct.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure when you are standing on the side of the bike you can read the polaris letters on the belt. it may sound wierd but having the belt on backwards can cause problems.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled the cover off and the belt looked like it was smoked pretty good so cleaned the cluches a little and put on a new belt.Have not rode it yet but seems better,the secondary is not spinning as fast. Is there any product to clean clutches that anybody has used?:d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
soap and water. you don' want to use anything that will leave a filmy residue. it will just cause your belt to slip.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot soap and water with a scotch-brite pad. Use a circular motion when cleaning the sheaves. Use compressed air to dry when your done cleaning.

Top Bottom