Sheeting with OSB

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if use OSB sheeting (Interior walls) for a stand alone shop does your insurance cover you as OSB sheeting is not fire rated as is drywall. Does it meet building code standards, any input would be appreciated :confused:

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used plywood painted over for the interior of the garage. Can't beat it IMO. No issues with insurance - don't know if OSB would be treated differently though.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Standard drywall that is used on interior walls does not have a fire rating, to some degree it has been burn tested. But is not like a 1/2" fireguard or 5/8's(all 5/8 has a fire rating).
All OSB has been burn tested, but I honestly don't know what it is? Yes you can use incadesent paint on OSB, and a lot of NEW house's have them on the exterior wall's.
I would check with your insurance to see if your perils does cover you for using OSB, I can't see why it wouldn't? But if you are using it on your demising wall to seperate your office's from your shop space, you will not be covered. By code, you will need a min of a 1 hour fire break. (and that can also depend on the County and your building inspector)
One more thing.... standard drywall has a very low STC rating(sound transmission class) for sound rating, so it's probably the same as 3/8 OSB.
Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Standard drywall that is used on interior walls does not have a fire rating, to some degree it has been burn tested. But is not like a 1/2" fireguard or 5/8's(all 5/8 has a fire rating).
All OSB has been burn tested, but I honestly don't know what it is? Yes you can use incadesent paint on OSB, and a lot of NEW house's have them on the exterior wall's.
I would check with your insurance to see if your perils does cover you for using OSB, I can't see why it wouldn't? But if you are using it on your demising wall to seperate your office's from your shop space, you will not be covered. By code, you will need a min of a 1 hour fire break. (and that can also depend on the County and your building inspector)
One more thing.... standard drywall has a very low STC rating(sound transmission class) for sound rating, so it's probably the same as 3/8 OSB.
Hope that helps?

Coverage isn't an issue with OSB, the issue is "Code". I've had Commercial shops with puck board on the interior and that doesn't prevent coverage

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put 1/2 inch osb on the inside of my garage just so i can hit the walls without it looking like crap after a few years the wife is a insurance broker and it is covered most areas require 2 layers of 5/8 drywall between a attached garage and a house just for fire wall if you are just going to park your car in there go with the drywall but if you need to move your toys around go with the osb

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put 1/2 inch osb on the inside of my garage just so i can hit the walls without it looking like crap after a few years the wife is a insurance broker and it is covered most areas require 2 layers of 5/8 drywall between a attached garage and a house just for fire wall if you are just going to park your car in there go with the drywall but if you need to move your toys around go with the osb

Yep, it doesn't take much of a hit to put a hole in drywall. I went 4' off the floor with osb, and drywalled the rest. OSB is a pain in the arse to paint, but it's a lot more durable than drywall. Next time, I'll be going with ag liner instead of drywall.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call 311, but I believe in a detached garage you don't have to have the fire proofing. Also, the Alberta building code is online that you can peek through. Library's also have a hard copy. I just finished putting OSB on the walls in my garage and drywall on the ceiling with the help of Trashy. OSB for the durability and ease of hanging stuff. Some tape and mud and paint and she'll be looking beautiful :D :beer:

422720_10151343746180111_666795110_22958282_92016483_n.jpg

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm super curious so I left a message with the residential safety codes officer in Calgary...once he gets back to me I will post what he says. Don't forget to have a fire extinguisher in your garage too!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on what you want to do, and if it is a free standing building or not? I do know my CODES, but if the inspector fails your building permit, good luck getting insurance!
The code book is also open to the interuptation of the inspector. So do your due dilegence and research it for what you need or want to do.
Res codes are totally different then comm codes, just like indust codes, and so on........
With a couple of quick calls, and a pre inspection from an inspector. Your good to go!!!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Line lots of shops with OSB, nothing wrong with it....TIP: Paint it right away,dap your seams and you can use 1x4 for trim and it comes out pretty nice(for the $). Use a good quality paint and spray it,heavy. Un painted osb sucks the light up, in a hurry..........

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still no word from the safety codes officer. Most City "workers" don't work Friday's so I expect to hear from him today or tomorrow.

jayew118

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah we painted or buddy Donney's shop gloss white. Sprayed her in 3 coats and backed rolled the walls and ceilings. Use a high build paint and put it on thick.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight from the Safety Codes Officer...

AB Building Safety Codes
Article 9.35.4.1 Interior Finish
12.7mm thick gypsum board, or lathe and plaster conforming to subsection 9.29.4 or any material that can prevent the passage of flames when subjected to the standard fire exposure and CAN/ULC-S101. (fire endurance test of building construction or material)

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah OSB is fine. I built a shed out of it. 6 x 10 x 12, shingled the roof, 3 or 4 coats of paint, and some trim, she works good.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outhouse at the lake is over 10 years old. OSB with oil based paint, 2 coats with extra attention paid to corners and seams.
No problems or failure.

I don't know...one good night of tequila and enchiladas, and that sucker is going up in flames...ya shoulda skinned it in tin...inside and out for extra protection.:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I don't know...one good night of tequila and enchiladas, and that sucker is going up in flames...ya shoulda skinned it in tin...inside and out for extra protection.:D

Summitric, rknight & Tylerg have all abused it and to date it has survived....lol
It will be "out of service" soon with our plumbing being hooked up.

Top Bottom