Shattered Ego= 52 Cents .... Not injured: Priceless !!!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a little whoopsie and got damn lucky it wasn't worse. Aside from the pretty bruise on my leg which is growing daily, the overall damage to my ego has been assessed a monetary value of 0.52 cents ;P Considering what could have happened, I consider the outcome priceless...

Saturday at Mountain Mania was pretty foggy. No one in our group was uber-familiar with Renshaw, but we had a general idea of where to go... Trying to make our way over a small ridge line and around to (hopefully) better snow in the valley and trees below, we had been going nowhere for a while. My husband and I were leading another attempt to find the trail down. He slowed up and my impatience **might** have pushed the throttle sending me nose first over cliff/cornice. The sled stopped about 25 feet down, nose first and sent me over a second wind lip to the bottom. Thank goodness the sled didn't follow and there was a lip to break the distance of the drop...

In all fairness, I did hear him say "stop" as I went over, but I was certain I could see the seemingly small cornice we were on rolling out into a gentle run out below. NOT SO MUCH :(

This is where I went over, as seen from across the valley the next day :) (Sorry about the crappy iPhone photo)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359095720.929268.jpg

Looking at the photo from Ron's thread where the Sledder broke his leg and having seen the leg first hand, I consider myself pretty lucky to be able to laugh about it...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359096164.059089.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i HATE that. been way back in an area a few times and the weather closed in on us. going over the ridges was just a guessing game. i know the feeling but ive never fell off accidentally yet lol. nice work

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a guys sled do a similar thing at Allen last year. Were sitting below this drop off (couple of hundred meters away) and out of the corner of my eye see this sled come over the top, attempt a lawn dart into the hard pack, bounch once and land on its track still running. Hanldebars all bent up and chit. Look at the top and see a guy standing on the ledge with both hands on his head. when his buddies brought him down he said he couldnt tell where he was on the ridge, when he got close enough to see it was too late, no stopping so he bailed. Good thing, buddy from here broke his back at the same place several years ago.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a guys sled do a similar thing at Allen last year. Were sitting below this drop off (couple of hundred meters away) and out of the corner of my eye see this sled come over the top, attempt a lawn dart into the hard pack, bounch once and land on its track still running. Hanldebars all bent up and chit. Look at the top and see a guy standing on the ledge with both hands on his head. when his buddies brought him down he said he couldnt tell where he was on the ridge, when he got close enough to see it was too late, no stopping so he bailed. Good thing, buddy from here broke his back at the same place several years ago.

I did get a lecture about the broken back scenario on the way back to the hotel ... At the time I laughed it off. Seeing the ridge the next day made me eat crow a little.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I did get a lecture about the broken back scenario on the way back to the hotel ... At the time I laughed it off. Seeing the ridge the next day made me eat crow a little.

definitely think you put a scare into that big tough hubby of yours.....

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Had a little whoopsie and got damn lucky it wasn't worse. Aside from the pretty bruise on my leg which is growing daily, the overall damage to my ego has been assessed a monetary value of 0.52 cents ;P Considering what could have happened, I consider the outcome priceless...

Saturday at Mountain Mania was pretty foggy. No one in our group was uber-familiar with Renshaw, but we had a general idea of where to go... Trying to make our way over a small ridge line and around to (hopefully) better snow in the valley and trees below, we had been going nowhere for a while. My husband and I were leading another attempt to find the trail down. He slowed up and my impatience **might** have pushed the throttle sending me nose first over cliff/cornice. The sled stopped about 25 feet down, nose first and sent me over a second wind lip to the bottom. Thank goodness the sled didn't follow and there was a lip to break the distance of the drop...

In all fairness, I did hear him say "stop" as I went over, but I was certain I could see the seemingly small cornice we were on rolling out into a gentle run out below. NOT SO MUCH :(

This is where I went over, as seen from across the valley the next day :) (Sorry about the crappy iPhone photo)
View attachment 147866

Looking at the photo from Ron's thread where the Sledder broke his leg and having seen the leg first hand, I consider myself pretty lucky to be able to laugh about it...

View attachment 147867

Now I'm feel'n bad about the fifty Two cent assessment.
Hope you heal fast.
At least I the Tall Beautiful Redhead part right. :)

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fella that broke his back a few years back, was he with the RCMP? If so, I was there & witnessed that one, cornice jumping in the premier range? I made the call for the chopper.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh my gawd Chelle. Super scary, and super lucky. I hate it when it's socked in. Kinda like that trip last winter with you guys and Terry at the Torpy....even though we know the area like the back of our hand it was fricken scary not knowing which way was up. Could you imagine going over the cornice just above the first bowl? Ummmm....that's be like a 200 foot drop in! Eeeeeek! That skinny ridge isn't fun to negotiate at times on a clear day, let alone one where the vis was chitty. So glad that you're ok crazy girl!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I'm feel'n bad about the fifty Two cent assessment.
Hope you heal fast.
At least I the Tall Beautiful Redhead part right. :)

I think my ego just suffered from inflation ;) A buck-0-four now!!

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey lady...glad all it good. You should post up those bruises in the injury thread in the hunny's....

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
No one wants to see these chicken legs and sparrow's kneecaps splashed with yellow and green. Tis a grisly sight for sure :)

Hmmm, guys seemed pretty pleased hav'n you on stage at MM6.
Tall, slender, long legs, high boots, red hair....OMG....I think I need a cold shower....lol.

Top Bottom