Sell The Brute and Buy an Outlander?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I've been doing some thinking lately, and I'm considering selling my Brute Force and getting an Outlander 800. The Brute has around 200 hours and is five years old now. I love the power the Brute is throwing out but, I`m told it doesn't even stand up to the Outlander.

So what do you think? Sell the Brute and get an Outlander? What are some pro's and con's on both?

mitty26

Reaction score
Outlander has a sweet motor in deed. The frame on the outy is a bad design , it can be made better by putting in the frame mod and running a set of skids. Some don't like the front lockup , it has gotten a lot better since 06. I had a 07 outy and a 09 renny 800's , i prefered the 07 . The 09 and up "R" engine has a lot of topend power but the 08 and down engine had awesome bottom end power.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlander has a sweet motor in deed. The frame on the outy is a bad design , it can be made better by putting in the frame mod and running a set of skids. Some don't like the front lockup , it has gotten a lot better since 06. I had a 07 outy and a 09 renny 800's , i prefered the 07 . The 09 and up "R" engine has a lot of topend power but the 08 and down engine had awesome bottom end power.

Would you rather ride an outlander or renegade?

mitty26

Reaction score
If i was to buy one again it would be the outlander , it's so much cleaner riding and the racks were nice. Both were great machines, not one warrenty issue with either.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my Brute and bought a 2010 Outlander 800. I haven't had a chance to do much riding, but the little I've done I like the handling way better than the Brute. I didn't like the Brute's handling at all. I always felt like I was going to tip over, even with the springs set to stiff. The Can-Am is much more stable. I also hated the diff lock lever on the Brute, and the lack of ground clearance. Power seems similar, but the Can-Am's do have more HP, maybe they have a higher tourque curve or something. Not sure. I got a three year power train warranty on the Can-Am, which is one of the reasons I chose it. Haven't ridden the machine in deep mud yet, so can't comment on that. I didn't get the power steering, but I find the steering quite light anyway, I found myself oversteering a bit (used to the Brute) because it is so easy to steer. I find the battery in the Can-Am a bitch to get at though. Anyone find this as well?

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the battery is in a bad place. The main problem I had with my 800 is that when I go through the mud, it gets onto the starter solenoid at the back by the battery, and if you don't rinse it thoroughly, it will short out through the moisture and your starter won't shut off lol. You just have to make sure there is no mud on the solenoid where the wires hook up. Other problems I have had are as follows, and some of them have been taken care of on the newer models, as mine is an 08. The trailing arm nuts had slacked off, causing play in the rear trailing arms (dealer repaired in minutes and on warranty with no trouble after). My tapit cover gaskets leaked, and they replaced them with no question and no problem. I blew a belt in the middle of the bush, because I had got it wet a few too many times in the past. I think that is about it. I have about 2500 kms on this quad and I have bagged the crap out of it. If I were to buy another one now I would upgrade the tires and snorkle it right away. I don't have a snorkle on mine right now, but I don't do too much deep mudding. I don't think that the power can be beat and the warranty is awesome!

garbage

Reaction score
i bought a 2010 500 outy max AND LOVE IT !!!!! not as agile off trail as my foreman , but the power stearing is awesome , it will out run a rincon , had it to 58 mph 600 miles on it no problems to date ,, putting tracks on it next month and a plow ,,,,, always owned honda's, this is the first brp product and i am impressed for sur e

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loved the power and sound of my Outty 800, but when the warranty is over, repairs get real spendy real quick. Replacement parts through BRP are ridiculous... $38 for a plug cap, $166 for a rear u-joint, just to name a few. If you plan on riding though mud or water deeper than 6", snorkle it right out of the gate. All in all, they are a great machine, I would buy another one for sure.

Top Bottom