Scrap Metal Business

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just seems like a conflict of interest as the guys would over order and underuse to make the scrap pile bigger - but if the boss is ok with it then that seems like a good deal you have going - always nice to have cash in the pocket.

The best is when the electricians are being paid by foot of cable pulled, and intentionally leave about 50ft on each end of a pull extra just to bump up their paycheck, then bump up their copper pile share at the end of the job. Been there, seen that.

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
Does anyone on here deal in scrap or know someone who does?The wife has an inlaw who does and I can't wrap my head around where they're making all this money!Only a year or two ago they were damn near on welfare suddenly they seem to have money falling out their azz!!New vehicles,trips to Mexico,US,Jamaica,just getting back from Spain,all within a couple months!I told the wife that I think their up to something because how can you go from barely having a pot to piss in to blowing money all over!I told her it was weird how they suddenly started making money with the scrap business about the same time the copper thefts in our area increased!Plus he offered me a couple thousand bucks for a pile of scrap I have that I was just going to bury with a hoe!!So is there that much money in scrap dealing or maybe they are just plain 'dealing'?They say they are just scrap brokers but they don't seem to have the proper equipment for all this scrap they handle!Something smells funny!!:confused:
Probably a farmer as a sideline Government handouts eh???

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best is when the electricians are being paid by foot of cable pulled, and intentionally leave about 50ft on each end of a pull extra just to bump up their paycheck, then bump up their copper pile share at the end of the job. Been there, seen that.
I'm running bid jobs 90% of the time....that means the prints have a estimated cable length on them for our bidders to price, any difference between my measurement and the original prints have to be approved by the client. Sounds like you're familiar with union jobs!

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most shops have a scrap metal bin too, Mine sure does and throw a couple old clutches in there and the weight goes up pretty quick

Top Bottom