Scam Ads on Kijiiji

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone..just wanted to post a reply I had on a boat ad on Kijiiji..it's pretty sad what lenghts these people go to to scam honest people of their money..I sent an inquiry on this "too good a deal to believe" ad and the following is the response..now they are placing ads on the trader as well, usually, bioats,cars,atv's, and Sleds..I try to waste as much of their time as I can...BE CAREFUL OF SCAM ADS!!:rant:

Steven Hutchyso
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: Subject: 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport- 17 Hours

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my boat.I bought this boat for my son but he passed away too soon to enjoy it.He died in Kandahar.The boat will be my gift,my gift in the memory of my son...Money is not problem,all i want is to find the right person who will love and take care of this boat.You may wonder why I ask this small amount for this boat.Well...the trust is that i decided to ask this amount only as a protest.This is exactly what we received as compensation after my son died serving his country.No more or less!!! This boat is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions. The price is not negotiable, $9700 firm.The boat is in excelent conditon, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport- 17, Engine type: Single inboard/outboard Use: Fresh water
Length (feet): 19.8 Engine make: Mercury Primary fuel type: Gas
Beam (feet): 7.3 Engine model: 4.3 liter A1 Fuel capacity (gallons): 21-30
Hull material: Fiberglass Trailer: Included.

2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport- 17
Well equipped, with matching bimini cover (not shown installed in pics or ever been used) snap out carpet, Clarion am/fm cd radio and speakers, matching painted trailer with swing away tounge for easy storage, Stainless steel prop installed, original black max prop also included, stainless steel skeg guard, sting ray hydrofoil stabilizer for faster planing, Aluminum wheels on trailer and original wheels with 2 spare tires included, cockpit and bow snap on covers, All the bells and whistles plus many extras. 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport- 17, Engine type: Single inboard/outboard Use: Fresh water
Length (feet): 19.8 Engine make: Mercury Primary fuel type: Gas
Beam (feet): 7.3 Engine model: 4.3 liter A1 Fuel capacity (gallons): 21-30
Hull material: Fiberglass Trailer: Included.

Thanks,

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the same experience on many occasions. Always the same BS answer, the guy moved to London and can't afford the taxes, so he'll ship his 2008 Outlander for $3500. What a freak. If he spent as much time working at a real job as he does coming up with these garbage scams, he wouldn't have to be a liar prick. Sadly, I know of a couple guys who got stung by the dirtbag, so a person has to use simple common sense when buying something sight unseen. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YA, I POSTED A COUPLE OF QUADS ON HERE, THAT WERE SCAMMERS.... PLAYED WITH THEM FOR QUITE A WHILE.... THEY EVEN SENT ME THE SERIAL # ON ONE QUAD, AND I HAD IT CHECKED, AND BELONGED TO SOMEONE FROM TEXAS, AND WE GOOGLED THE SERIAL # AND HE HAD IT ON E-BAY FOR SALE..... TOO FUNNY.....THE GUY WAS ADVERTISING HE WAS FROM ALASKA ON KIJIJI, WITH THE SAME PICTURE AND DESCRIPTION.... TOO FUNNY ........ THESE GUYS SHOULD BE CHARGED HEAVILY!!!:mad:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've bought legit items off Kijiji and sold some too. You sure do have to watch, but it's pretty obvious usually which ones are scams. Lots of stolen items and non-legit items. Not sure why Kijiji doesn't pull these ads or monitor more closely, you can spot them once you know what they do. It's going to do thier site harm in the long run.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just tend to avoid the site completey :nono::nono:

It's really too bad that one or two petty criminals make a person avoid the site all together. I make a good portion of my living selling aluminum decks. I primarily use Kijiji for advertising because it's cheap, and covers a lot of viewers. I have bought lots of stuff from there as well. It's a great site, just too bad that it is accessable to douchebags.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any atv or sled on kijiji that is a year or two old that is for $3500 or so is a scam, i dont know what it is but when i was looking for a new sled i seemed to come upon alot of them for that price range, very well typed up and too good to be true. then a couple hours later they were removed. went on for a couple weeks

you would have to be dumb to believe a almost new sled is $3500. one i sent an email and hes like im moving bla bla bla will ship no extra charge. im like so your letting a $9000 sled go for $3500 and shipping is included? hes like yes when i receive payment i will ship but in a email that was nicely typed up and almost half a page long, then i replied with only "nice scam" and never heard from him again.

Also seen alot of corvettes and such on autotrader for like $15,000 and they are a year or two old as well, claiming they need to get rid of because of the economy, yet the pictures are in a driveway of a couple hundred thousand dollar home

its funny i wrote this before i read the whole post and my story matches a few others hahah

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy at my work was telling me about this awesome deal on a 08 outlander he found for 3900. I was laughing at him tellin him it was a scam. He phones the guy and he says he's in whitehorse. Just happens we have a salesman in whitehorse that day, so they try and set up a time to come see it then all the excuses start. People are such db's. If it sounds to good to be true, it is.

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a Craigslist scammer send me an email about the wife's car last year. Usual we'll send you a check for 10 grand more than you want and you send back the extra 10K. So I played along and sent him a response asking him to call me. DB called from Oklahoma, i kept him on the phone for over an hour, while the wife was callin my cell whenever i needed an interruption. Finally i said send me a check and when it clears the bank in 10 banking days, I'll be glad to send the money to you and release the car. Then the excuses started about being sick need money for chemo etc. My wife is a IT pro and sent him so many virus's that comp of his will have the swine flu forever. I kept calling him Ph.# collect for weeks afterwards but he never accepted the calls???? Also reported him to state cops, Craigslist and the FBI (interstate commerce div). Guy could make more dough goin to work. Had fun with him but was surprised he wasn't in Nigeria!

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to found a couple of quads that just turned into to good to be true :nono: but I did end up buying my daughter a nice little quad off of Kijiiji froma nice couple in Sherwood park it just took a long time to find a legitimit deal that it almost wasn't worth it

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto trader is getting bad also. My next door neighbor is Mexican (excellant neighbor) was looking at a 2009 Ford F350 fully loaded for $9300. He asked my wife how to do a money transfer. (luckily she didn't know how. When I got home I went and saw him. We googled earth the address it was in England, the fax number was in New York and she was in California. I told him it was a scam and he let it go at that. But then I started to play, e-mails for weeks on end then let them know I was only wasting thier time because I had nothing better to do. I have an ad on Kijiji (no its not a scam) and had an email about it(no sale though) and we have gotten stuff of Kijiji a free topper, a pontiac Sunfire GT (just bought tonight for $200) with a blown motor, and tomorrow heading to Sasketchewan to probably buy a truck. But yes, there are many scams out there, just do your homework and if its to good to be true, it probably is.:d

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have used Kijiji with some good results, buying AND selling..but you'd think that they would have some way of making sure ads a legit..like maybe becoming a memeber to list ads..i posted the same response on heir site with the heading beware of scam ads..and they struck my ads..like they didn't want me to warn others..i find this somewhat discouraging..auto trader is the same when you report scam ads theyre still on the site a week later..i know whtas going on re scams when i see these ads but there are alot of unsuspecting consumers whom are getting sc@*ed otherwise these losers would give up...so..if you come acrosss their ads PLEASE waste their time and maybe they will move on to something else...:rolleyes:

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that some people actually fall for the scams. I guess they are just hoping that it is legitimate. To people who won't go to the site because of this, that is not necessary. The best thing to do is see the product you're buying in person.

I have only used Kijiji once and that was to sell my Harley and it was a very good experience. Got along very well with the buyer who turned out to be a great guy. And he was happy with it also.

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya Kajiji, is turning into alot of that. i have had numerous experiences with that aswell on some seadoos and such. the sad thing is some people get ropped into that stuff.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres one on kijiji edm right now to ski-doos low miles with a trailer for cheap
the guy says i cant see them as they are in whitehorse so i asked for a address
needless to say the address doesnt exist still flipping emails back and forth wasting as much time as i can

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard about a new scam yesterday, long story short guy agrees to buy a quad cash and meet at a small town gas station as it is easier then finding the sellers farm. The buyer gets to the gas station and is approached by a couple guys with guns...say they want his money, so he hands over wallet, the robbers say No we want all your money you've got more, they obviously knew he was supposed have to cash to buy this quad. Be careful, you never know what can happen. :beer:

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard about a new scam yesterday, long story short guy agrees to buy a quad cash and meet at a small town gas station as it is easier then finding the sellers farm. The buyer gets to the gas station and is approached by a couple guys with guns...say they want his money, so he hands over wallet, the robbers say No we want all your money you've got more, they obviously knew he was supposed have to cash to buy this quad. Be careful, you never know what can happen. :beer:

:mad: People need to learn to respect others.

roland

Reaction score
There seems to be one on BuySell that looks too good to be true. It is an 08 RZR with loads of extras for $3,500. No phone # or address. Only and e-mail reply for contact.

Top Bottom