Satellite Phone

JDmotorhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me out as to which satellite phone is the best bang for your buck, and how well they work. Thanks

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tridon down by A.M.P. in fort mac sells different kinds of satillite phones. I dont know much about them, but they would be a good place to start. I always borrow one for my dad when I head into the backcountry, so I can call the wife/ incase of an emergency. He has had 2 now. The first was expensive and had a higher monthly rate but you could get reception anywhere. Then he decided to go for a cheaper one that you only paid for the minutes you use and you can only get a signal some of the time.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
It's not a sat phone, but for Christmas Mrs. Claus picked up a Delorme inReach for me. Supposed to be able to do two way texting via the Iridium satellite newtwork through either a Android phone or a Delorme PN-60W GPS (inReach model specific), in addition the SPOT like tracking and SOS signalling. Only problem I currently have is I do not have an Android phone to go with my Android specific inReach to let you know how well it does or does not work.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
I've got the iridium 9555, been a great phone and never have an issue getting a signal. My buddy has a global star one and he can only dial out at certain times of the day, he prints off a schedule that states what times he will be able to dial out. With that being said, apparently they are launching more sats to help improve this. I carry a sat phone mainly for emergency situations, if myself or someone else is hurt I want to be able to dial out NOW, not wait around for a specified time! Here is a link to the phone I have:

Iridium 9555 Satellite Phone

Indy245

Reaction score
I have the Iridium Extreme. It has a SOS button so you can one touch send out for help much like the SPOT but it calls and messages the rescue provider at the same time, you can buy the rescue insurance as well. It two way texts. It has so far worked everywhere I have tried it. My current plan is $55 / month + the minutes I use it. All the people I know with the other brands of satellite phones have switched to Iridium. Not cheap to buy but they seem to be very rugged and should last a long time & they do hold a decent re-sale value if you ever decide to get rid of it. The older Iridiums can be picked up pretty cheap.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI - dialing 911 on an Iridium goes through to the states. Be sure to store proper emerg. #'s for your area's.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI - dialing 911 on an Iridium goes through to the states. Be sure to store proper emerg. #'s for your area's.
The 911 feature on the SPOT also goes to a dispatch centre in Texas where they notify the authorities most local to the area of the message sent.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iridium 9555 is the only way to go. Global Star's do not work all the time so they are useless as a emergency device in my mind. I go through Infosat in Calgary. I have 7 phones for work and they have treated me quite well. You are looking at about 60 dollars a month for a plan plus about a buck a minute for air time. The phones are in the 1100 to 1200 dollar range. Pricey but worth it I think. Spots are a way cheaper alternative if you just want an emergency device.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your reseach as some changes coming out in the near future as far as Global Star. The Uridium works good but pricey. There is another one just can't remember what the name is but it has been around for years and has been used on ships and marine. Works good and no service plan required.
Have used the Global Star but the last 5 years haven't been great but they promise that buy the first quarter they will be running at 99%. If you want cheap you can buy the older GS for around $250.00 and then go on web site and print off call times. Works perfect everytime and some of the call times are up to 55 minutes.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have used the Global Star but the last 5 years haven't been great but they promise that buy the first quarter they will be running at 99%. If you want cheap you can buy the older GS for around $250.00 and then go on web site and print off call times. Works perfect everytime and some of the call times are up to 55 minutes.

For the record Global Star has been saying this for about 5 years. I own 7 Global Star phones that I can't use as I can't send them out with my crews if they don't work 100%. Imagine being in a real emergency and you don't have service for an hour. Whats the point! Seriously as a person who works in remote areas Iridium is the only choice.

If you want to go the Global Star route I will sell you one of mine for almost nothing......

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to work in remote areas and you are correct about GS all i saying is to do your research. No phone works 100% of the time including Iridium as i as well have tried all of them.
Terrain and different areas all effect Sat. service so don't go telling people that they will work 100% of the time.
Cheers and Happy New Year.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the record Global Star has been saying this for about 5 years. I own 7 Global Star phones that I can't use as I can't send them out with my crews if they don't work 100%. Imagine being in a real emergency and you don't have service for an hour. Whats the point! Seriously as a person who works in remote areas Iridium is the only choice.

If you want to go the Global Star route I will sell you one of mine for almost nothing......

I have been hearing the same horseshit for 5 years about globalstar putting up all these new sats etc and service will be perfect. All been lies I guess

Top Bottom