Safety....

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So today on the new job site went through safety orientation and they make us wear harnesses on the lift even if I have to go up 6 inches and on the baker I have to have 4 locked wheels I know it's for safety which is good but it sure is a pain in the a***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it basically boils down to the lowest common denominator. There are some really stupid people out there who would hurt themselves getting off a stepstool. The problem is that these same idiots put in claims to get off from working as a result you have to so safety conscious that you don't dare move.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it basically boils down to the lowest common denominator. There are some really stupid people out there who would hurt themselves getting off a stepstool. The problem is that these same idiots put in claims to get off from working as a result you have to so safety conscious that you don't dare move.

Yup pretty much I guess on guy hit his head in a crawl space and got knocked out cold hahah

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will get increasingly ridiculous as time goes on. We see this trend with various programs for safety, quality, evnvironmental shhtuff, etc.. Usually, if you are being certified in one of these areas, you also get audited on an anual basis. Since certification usually requires that you demonstrate and attempt to continually improve, you have to prove in an audit that you have made an attempt to improve since your last audit, even if you've had no incidents.

Quite often, that's where a lot of this B.S. comes from. ...but in some cases, it's just a product of all those morons out there, many of which will be sure to earn a Darwin award one day.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will get increasingly ridiculous as time goes on. We see this trend with various programs for safety, quality, evnvironmental shhtuff, etc.. Usually, if you are being certified in one of these areas, you also get audited on an anual basis. Since certification usually requires that you demonstrate and attempt to continually improve, you have to prove in an audit that you have made an attempt to improve since your last audit, even if you've had no incidents.

Quite often, that's where a lot of this B.S. comes from. ...but in some cases, it's just a product of all those morons out there, many of which will be sure to earn a Darwin award one day.

Couldn't agree with you more

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It's not the employer nor the site that is making you tie-off in the lifts...

been that way since February 2009..

Alberta OH&S code section 9

156(2) An employer must ensure that a worker on a scissor lift or on an
elevating work platform with similar characteristics uses a travel restraint system consisting of a full body harness and lanyard
(a) connected to an anchor specified by the manufacturer of the scissor
lift or elevating work platform, and
(b) when connected to the anchor, the lanyard, if reasonably practicable,
is short enough to prevent the worker from falling out of the scissor
lift or elevating work platform but is long enough to allow the worker
to perform his or her work.

156(3) Subsection (2) does not apply if
(a) the manufacturer’s specifications allow a worker to work from the
scissor lift or elevating work platform with similar characteristics
using only its guardrails for fall protection, and(b) the scissor lift or elevating work platform is operating on a firm,
substantially level surface.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not the employer nor the site that is making you tie-off in the lifts...

been that way since February 2009..

Alberta OH&S code section 9

156(2) An employer must ensure that a worker on a scissor lift or on an
elevating work platform with similar characteristics uses a travel restraint system consisting of a full body harness and lanyard
(a) connected to an anchor specified by the manufacturer of the scissor
lift or elevating work platform, and
(b) when connected to the anchor, the lanyard, if reasonably practicable,
is short enough to prevent the worker from falling out of the scissor
lift or elevating work platform but is long enough to allow the worker
to perform his or her work.

156(3) Subsection (2) does not apply if
(a) the manufacturer’s specifications allow a worker to work from the
scissor lift or elevating work platform with similar characteristics
using only its guardrails for fall protection, and(b) the scissor lift or elevating work platform is operating on a firm,
substantially level surface.

Hahah I knew you would post in here yea sure it's allgood for safety reasons but it's just annoying and locking the wheels on a baker is a pizz off for doing hangers

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the epcor tower they got an exemption by putting side rails on the baker platform is this not a possibility?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit some of the regulation and code goes overboard... But once it becomes law an employer along with supervisors can be charged if an incident results while in violation...Lucasik is looking for people/companies to make examples of since implimenting the 10 step (now 14 step) road to safety. Its like the warnings on hairdryers not to use them in the shower and warnings on bleach not to drink it....you'd think it would be common sense but somewhere sometime many people (not just one) have tried....

Idiots created my occupation and their offspring keep it alive

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit some of the regulation and code goes overboard... But once it becomes law an employer along with supervisors can be charged if an incident results while in violation...Lucasik is looking for people/companies to make examples of since implimenting the 10 step (now 14 step) road to safety. Its like the warnings on hairdryers not to use them in the shower and warnings on bleach not to drink it....you'd think it would be common sense but somewhere sometime many people (not just one) have tried....

Just like these guy's huh.

Attachments

• PIC00032.JPG
    PIC00032.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 128
  • MVC-437F.JPG
    MVC-437F.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 123

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup you know it but it's getting sad how times are changing for the worse in the trades world jar cause of some idiots not knowing what they are doing

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the epcor tower they got an exemption by putting side rails on the baker platform is this not a possibility?

Yea and also kick boards sure it's safe but it's just a pain to get on and off with all the extra especially when you have to lock up all 4 wheels not even aloud to do the baker shuffle any more

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Not just a couple idiots ben... Unfortunately it takes a large percentage to get laws introduced and changed... From a production point of view its been prooven over and over that taking the time to operate your company in a safe manner is more productive and proffitable. Our company operates under a very in depth safety management system and my boss pays big dollars to keep me around.... The past 5 years LTI free have covered my salary over and over....hmmmmm, now that I think about it I'm due a raise

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not just a couple idiots ben... Unfortunately it takes a large percentage to get laws introduced and changed... From a production point of view its been prooven over and over that taking the time to operate your company in a safe manner is more productive and proffitable. Our company operates under a very in depth safety management system and my boss pays big dollars to keep me around.... The past 5 years LTI free have covered my salary over and over....hmmmmm, now that I think about it I'm due a raise

Very true. But this is another way in looking at it I'm paid a set wage with my dad and another guy it's a real company not a fly by night deal like many are but my dad and the other guy just split what they make on the job so the faster they can get it down the more they get payed and well as do I cuz they give me a bonus lol

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same thing at the power plant i work at... u dont even have to be off the ground.. just driving the lift around u have to be wearing a harness

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most companies who claim accident free are funny, it's more like no accidents reported. I will say i've worked for a company who "says" they care about safety and push all the safety BS. I feel 1000X safer using common sense at work. Plus, the big company didn't give two shits about safety, it's just a big scam and pushing the blame to employees if something does happen. The good motto was "safety first, unless it costs money". And the amount of accidents was insane, not just minor stuff but near misses of major injuries, 95% which went unreported. But stupid people caused all the issues. It's a sad day when grown men need to use self retracting knifes so they won't cut themselves.

However some companies make the safety thing work......I guess. And some places employees just abuse it to get out of work.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If the program is managed properly then reporting should not be discouraged (I kinow it often is) The more we know the sooner the more options are available. I said we had no lost time incidents, not that we had no incidents...claims management is the most important part of a quality safety management system. get the worker proper treatment in a timely manner and implement a reasonable modified work program... this is better for the worker, better for the company and better for the industry as a whole. when a worker misses more than 6 months due to a workplace injury there is an 80% chance that worker will never re-enter the workforce.

Everything is a learning curve, I remember when I first started in the cooling towers..tie off was not common and when dow/shell/joffre started pushing 100% tie off it was a drag...BUT after 6 months of getting used to the harness I could scale a tower faster and safer than I could before hand.

The biggest flaw in the AB WCB system is that an injury becomes a LTI if the worker misses the next shift. Ontario has the right idea where an employer has 3 days to care for an injured worker before it's recorded as an LTI so long as the worker is still being paid. Many LTI's are short in durration but with our system the way it is we are forced to rush a worker back or manipulate the 72 hour reporting window in order to provide what is best for the worker while mitigating damage to our LTI rate.

the previous statement is 100% hypothetical

Just sayin...

Most companies who claim accident free are funny, it's more like no accidents reported. I will say i've worked for a company who "says" they care about safety and push all the safety BS. I feel 1000X safer using common sense at work. Plus, the big company didn't give two shits about safety, it's just a big scam and pushing the blame to employees if something does happen. The good motto was "safety first, unless it costs money". And the amount of accidents was insane, not just minor stuff but near misses of major injuries, 95% which went unreported. But stupid people caused all the issues. It's a sad day when grown men need to use self retracting knifes so they won't cut themselves.

However some companies make the safety thing work......I guess. And some places employees just abuse it to get out of work.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Bogger, I truly believe in being safe and getting home from the job. I am a huge advocate for wearing helmets and seatbelts (but we drive like maniacs on our quads hmmm gotta do a study on that) but sometimes it gets overboard. I know that Ben talks about doing the "baker shuffle" and at epcor they had to prove that what they were doing was in fact safe, the rig-a-marol they had to do was a little ridiculous(their feet were 3.5 feet above the ground. We are doing the Security system at the building and I feel that I spend more time in meetings then actually work on the job. Teach me to take a job of supervisor.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the few mines i've worked at i've seen a common theme

Companies will eventually go overboard of the safety policies, the workers get more and more discouraged because they feel the policies disable their ability to just do the work they are paid to do, moral goes down and complacency goes up, resulting in more and more incidents.

from what i've experienced, there is a fine line of how much and how ridiculous your safety policies can go.

Just remember the OH&S books and acts are written in blood.

Top Bottom