S36 kit

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long should I expect it to take me to install. Never done it before. Any special tools I need?

Went in to the dealer last weekend and the parts guy upsold my wife on this for her sled. I went in to get stuff for me..wasn't expecting to come out with this box of stuff to change out on her sled:eek:
looks like i will have some A arms and X package shocks to sell.

fox68sd

Reaction score
put this kit on my 08 xp ,it works great, sidehills with ease ,took me about 3 hours to install,hardest part was inner back a-arm bolts next time i would grind down a wrench to make it easier ,i pulled hood front nose plastic(2 screws) and exhaust,good luck

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put one in my freeride it took a little under 2 hours. X2 on everything fox said exhaust off and grind a wrench down.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put one in my freeride it took a little under 2 hours. X2 on everything fox said exhaust off and grind a wrench down.

grind 15mm wrench down. thats the only special tool. will take about 4 hours with some breaks.

ball joints need to be frozen and then pressed in this takes some time.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our kits came with the New ball joints installed. Haha must've gotten spoiled.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Check with Ferniesnow Bert. He did one on his own.

Hey man, that darn snopro just keeps throwing my name out there! Yes, I did the kit in the fall on a 2010 Everest. As said above, took off the hood, hood support, pulled the exhaust, and the skid plate. I didn't have trouble with any wrenches not fitting. I did have trouble putting in the wear washers on the upper A-arms (they were really tight). Directions were great and I used a ratchet strap to compress the shock springs. It was maybe 3 hours and I don't work fast, just steady.

My wife really likes the narrow stance for carving and boondocking. In fact, that in conjunction with the new Flex track, will cost me big time in the fall.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have air tools it makes much quicker work of busting loose the joints and installing them again. Not something I would tackle with hand ratchets unless it was an emergency. Air is your friend.

And like mentioned, a ratchet strap to compress the springs. If you are having issues securing the strap, undo the free end and feed it through the mounting eye, then apply pressure.

Its also a good time to put some lube on your ski bolt, and check the lower spindle bushings that the bolt goes through, replace if needed.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are left and right A-arms. They might look the same but they are different and have different part #'s on them. If you mix them up nothing will fit properly. I was lucky enough to get 2 right side ones. Took me more than an hour to figure out what was wrong. :censored:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are left and right A-arms. They might look the same but they are different and have different part #'s on them. If you mix them up nothing will fit properly. I was lucky enough to get 2 right side ones. Took me more than an hour to figure out what was wrong. :censored:

so how do you know lefty from righty

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how do you know lefty from righty

look at where the spindle mounts to the upper a-arm. that ball joint socket when sitting on the sled will either be pointed downwards facing forwards at an angle or downwards facing backwards at an angle. i cant remember which one it is.....have to look at another sled.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We are riding all next week. If we have a down day I may do the install other wise she has to wait until after this trip.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put it all together today. Put it up on the sledlift and ripped into it. R&R Took about 2 hours including pressing the ball joints in.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im glad I read this. It never even crossed my mind that the upper arms were different. I always thought the ball joints sat at a funny angle. Guess I found something to do this afternoon......change my upper a arms around! Thanks guys.

Side Show

Reaction score
Looking at doing this same upgrade to my '08. Is it worth it to upgrade the shocks the S36 kit comes with?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well worth it. We got fresh snow last week and it is a completely different ride for her. Takes less rider input to get up on edge.

Top Bottom