Rusty nuts

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baa ha ha ha ha ha haaa..... I'm thinking you don't want my advice on this one... haa ha haaa!!

One word.. OWCH :D

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok.. holy man.. I tried to be a grown up.. but now my makeup is running because I'm crying.

I asked Marc what would be best to use... He suggested Copper coat or Nickle anti seize.. never grease your nuts.....

K I was giggling.. remember.. Never Grease your Nuts or they could back off and fall off... It would be horrible to loose a nut.

Then Scott added something that put me over the edge...
Don't even use Copper coat.. You need dry nuts... if you go to a racetrack and they see anything on your nuts they'll make you wash your nuts right there...

K boys... Be careful if you go watch the races....

K Happy Monday all!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello folks I jus got new wheels put on the truck and the fancy smancy wheel nuts are rusty after like 900Kms any suggestions on how to stop this or maybe a better nut to use?
Do you wash your nuts regularly? Maybe you just got a cheap set of nuts. So far my nuts look as good as new. And I have had my nuts for quite a while..........

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your nuts are inadequate! why not just return them where you bought them, they know they sold you junk, Im sure they will get you some new ones of better quality. I had this happen to me on my last set of wheels, your supplier is just trying to make a few extra bucks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hello folks I just got new wheels put on the truck and the fancy smancy wheel nuts are rusty after like 900Kms any suggestions on how to stop this or maybe a better nut to use?

I'm a little late with this response but are you sure you really wanted to ask that question?

There is no going back now. Momma is even involved and that could lead to a Joydigger article. It should be a great read but honestly I don't know if you will get the honest answer you were hoping for!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nickel anti seize, is the best for your nuts, but be careful that you don't over torque your nuts. With the extra sliptivity, nothing worse than too tight of nuts!!! Too tight nuts, could cause you to be off balance, and slip in some chit. When your not expecting it.........

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Nickel anti seize, is the best for your nuts, but be careful that you don't over torque your nuts. With the extra sliptivity, nothing worse than too tight of nuts!!! Too tight nuts, could cause you to be off balance, and slip in some chit. When your not expecting it.........
I had my nuts re-torqued and the kal-tire dude said the tech that put anti-seize on them was an idiot. Said you should never coat your nuts with that chit???
If I were you I'd go back to where you bought them, slap your nuts on the counter and tell them you want them replaced.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they chrome lugnuts that are rusting? Take a small pale of water and a SOS pad and scrub down the surfaces. Lot of people used to do that to remove rust from there mag wheels back in the day.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't believe he has tried to delete the thread, unfortunately the cat is out of the bag as it were. Were you really expecting adult answers from this bunch? You must be nuts to think otherwise ( sorry couldn't resist!)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem may be excess moisture on your nutts, you may haveto get them rubbed down, and use a couple sprays of wd40. have them blow dried, before putting them back in use, could be a real problem getting them off if they become slimy or rusty before you look at them next time. i'd suggest you take better care of your nutts in the future.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the OP, for an honnest answer, try "neverseize" then toque them.
The threads do nothing for locking the lug nut into place, so neverseize can be used with no problem on the threads only. Its the lug nut TAPER that locks the nut on.

For the guy at KAL-Tire, he's full of BS.

Top Bottom