Running without a headlight/hood

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are heading up to do some spring riding and will end up taking off our hoods. I was going to buy the resistor but was told that the 2009 and newer M's do not need it. The fella that told me said they run lots of new iron and have not had one issue. I have heard this about them but am unsure. Please let me kmow hat you think or of any experienses you have had with this issue.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a headlight delete on my 08 M1000. I did not install a resistor. Have had no problems to date.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BDF900 has a delete kit on his newer M1, says the resistor is required. PM him for details maybe. pretty sure he said it will eventually burn out the stator. I think Deano670 may know something about this as well

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrong. Don't need it after 2007 on an M sled. That's when they added proper voltage regulation with the chassis control module.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have found that with the 09 m1000 even with the updated ccu if you are removing your head lights it is required you install the resistor in the headlight circuit. We saw that without the resistor the gauge cluster starts to do funny things like quit working all together, reset itself constantly as i does at start up and so on. I can only attribute this to huge fluctuations in voltage due to the lack of resistance provided by the headlights. Install the resistor, problem solved. Just my opinion, but far cheaper than stators:beer:

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A resistor cannot hurt but as i stated before, i did a headlight delete without a resistor with no problems. I do run egts and leave my hand warmers on low just to be safe.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A resistor cannot hurt but as i stated before, i did a headlight delete without a resistor with no problems. I do run egts and leave my hand warmers on low just to be safe.

You are running an 08 Yes?? Aswell running egt's and keeping hand warmers on do change things. Keep in mind it was in 09 that cat changed to what they thought would be an upgraded electrical system. Ironically enough its the 08 ccu unit that is now the upgrade for the 09. Just food for thought always more than one way to skin a cat.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running an 09 so I hope that it has the issue taken care of. Even if I wanted to I cannot find the resistor anywhere in Alberta or BC. If anyone knows where I can get it please let me know.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can buy it through boondocker

I finally heard from them and ordered a couple up. I was on the fence as half of the responses I got where you didn't need it and half where you did. the way I look at it is I have wasted $60 on alot worse products than this lol.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are running an 08 Yes?? Aswell running egt's and keeping hand warmers on do change things. Keep in mind it was in 09 that cat changed to what they thought would be an upgraded electrical system. Ironically enough its the 08 ccu unit that is now the upgrade for the 09. Just food for thought always more than one way to skin a cat.

So they fixed it in 07/08....then changed it again in 09? Way to go AC! That was dumb! :nono:

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would have changed in 09? Run in reverse probably required new ccu, maybe? Not so dumb maybe.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here we are a whole bunch of months later and I need to install the resistor , can anyone give me some tips on the install? Pics would be nice to.

Thanks J.:beer:

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could someone please post some pics on the install ? I am not quite clear on where to install

Thanks J

boondocker14

Reaction score
Does running a couple of smaller spot lights from an automotive application on a custom hood work for a constant resistance instead of the boondocker resister, lights are about half the price. Anyone try this?

Top Bottom