Rumors about 5th wheel trailers

dooski

Reaction score
I was told that as of January 1, 2010, that all trucks hauling trailers longer than 24 feet will need to be pulled by a dual wheel truck. I think that if this rumor is true, that totally sucks! What is anyone else's opinion and has anyone else heard that this is going to be true or is someone blowing some smoke?!:nono::nono::confused::confused:

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see something like that happening in BC, probaly could happen in alberta seems like they always want you to have more wheels under you when your hauling heavy loads.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure something like that is in the future for us. Probably a rumor for now, but I think that any first timers for pulling larger trailers should have to go through a driver training course of some sort. In my 25years of camping I have seen alot of gongshows:eek: The bigger the trailer the bigger the gongshow:rolleyes:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with thump. one should have to qualify to pull any trailer.

would suck having to upgrade to dually. I love my truck, would hate to have to trade up because of some stupid law.

Last edited:

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think someone is blowing a big puff. 24ft is not even long. I do not see how they can base it on length ??? They make light weight 5th wheels that are 24ft that a half tonn can pull. If this did happen either #1 a lot of people would have to sell their 5th wheel or #2 there would be a huge surplus of srw trucks for sale
just my 2c

From my expirence the bigger the trailer the easier is is to back up

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think someone is blowing a big puff. 24ft is not even long. I do not see how they can base it on length ??? They make light weight 5th wheels that are 24ft that a half tonn can pull. If this did happen either #1 a lot of people would have to sell their 5th wheel or #2 there would be a huge surplus of srw trucks for sale
just my 2c

From my expirence the bigger the trailer the easier is is to back up
this is true, but one must first grasp the concept....of using mirrors. many have not....lol

and I agree....someone is yanking chain here. no way they will enact a law like this based on length. weight maybe....but would have to be a helluva jag.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I can see them clamping down on GVW. There has been rumors floating for the past 2 yrs in reguards to the two trailer combination rule that BC has. Alberta is suppose to adopt this rule also, but when?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a chance. My 5th wheel is about 25ft and only weights about 4500lbs. A single wheel 3500 pulls it just fine, no matter what it won't pull the truck around. I find it pretty much impossible to believe. Now if you said say 40ft I might believe it, but NOT 24ft. And the thing is, just because it's a dually doesn't mean anything. For example a 2wd will pull a bit better then a 4wd because it is lower, and for stability who says the dually can't have 12" of lift?

I don't ever see a law saying anything that says you need a dually, it just won't happen. I can see more restrictions coming in to get rid of half tons pulling 30ft+ trailers though.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A type of driver training for trailer towing.

You see that a lot people purchase a trailer and are unsure how to drive it.
Well forward on the hwy but that's it.

Even changing the 2 trailer towing would take years.
It's government it will change over and over.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't assume the gov't will use logic or common sense when making decisions.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they cant just expect people to change to a dually or buy a new truck?! never happen!! for one bc thrives off tourism of the red army(alberta plates) so if it took effect i wouldnt worry, one year of shitty campsite occupancy and the businesses related suffer THEY will change it back for us!!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they cant just expect people to change to a dually or buy a new truck?! never happen!! for one bc thrives off tourism of the red army(alberta plates) so if it took effect i wouldnt worry, one year of shitty campsite occupancy and the businesses related suffer THEY will change it back for us!!

I'm curious now, how long has it been illegal to pull the boat behind the trailer in BC?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm curious now, how long has it been illegal to pull the boat behind the trailer in BC?

As long as I can remember there have been signs at the border that say "3 vehicle combinations under 11000 kg are not permitted past this point."

Not sure if that's the excact wording:d

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
They should clamp down on weight for sure...And how many people do you see without adequate mirrors pulling trailers??I see alot of them.They are so hard on truckers and don't seem to regulate personal vehicles as much.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
truckers do it for a living, the rest do it for fun. tourism pays B.C.s bills, not truckers!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt mean truckers dont pay of course they do, but on the news you always hear about the tourism, not the trucker who didnt buy lunch at the greasy spoon!! just sayin!!

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that as of January 1, 2010, that all trucks hauling trailers longer than 24 feet will need to be pulled by a dual wheel truck. I think that if this rumor is true, that totally sucks! What is anyone else's opinion and has anyone else heard that this is going to be true or is someone blowing some smoke?!:nono::nono::confused::confused:

I don't know what the guy you heard it from is smokin but that is some good smoke he is blowin:eek: That is not happening. I went to the RVDA confrences in vegas and louisville and never heard a thing about it.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that will never happen. there is a reason we have gvwr,gcwr,gawr,gtwr......

Top Bottom