Mountain Cat 1000 should be in perfect running condition soon and other good news!

summit1000

Reaction score
I'm doubting that anyone really cares that much, but I'm very excited about this so I thought I would make a post :D.....that should just be a new category on here. Instead of snowmobile chat, just have a spot specifically called "random banter no one else cares about." lol....Anyways, I haven't been out riding in like 4 weeks because the snow sucks. But I finally took my sled to a mechanic friend to have a look at. Apparently from doing a lot of sitting (it is a 2001 with less than 1000 miles on it) the carburetor on the right cylinder (not the clutch side) is a little gummed up and the float is stuck. That explains why it was boggy and getting 2.5 miles per gallon.

However, there is some very good news. Mechanic buddy did a compression test.....122 psi on all three cylinders!!! :D....Pretty happy about that. (I hope someone doesnt come and tell me now that, that is way off where it should be). My mechanic said 125 psi in all three cylinders would've been what an absolutely perfect out of the box one had.

Also good news, I am going to be getting a four place (28 feet long, 8.5 feet wide) V-Nose, black trailer with shelving in it for $5000. I'm good friends with the guy who is selling it and he wants to get a car hauler so that he can haul sleds and snowmobiles (not at the same time obviously). So that is great because around here it seems mint condition four place enclosed V-Nose trailers with shelving and other extra go for like $8,000....sometimes even $10,000-$12,000.

Now I just need to go buy myself a diesel truck. Not that I "need" one, but I'm tired of the 9 miles per gallon my 1995 Chevy K1500 with a gas guzzling, heavily modified 5.7L TBI gets while towing. It has the power, it just likes to guzzle the gas while providing the power. I'm hoping to find a 1994.5-2003.5 F250 or F350 with the 7.3L.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congradulation on your new purchase, Cat 1000 triple. I had a 98 or 99 model of that sled with nitrous back then and it was a great sled. It was one of the first sleds to pull the monster and the fingers in Revy. She is a MANs sled, not alot can actually ride them you needed to be in shape and strong.
It was a very popular sled with hillclimbers, CR-racing customized alot of them and it was common to see several in Revy heading for the big chutes. Chad at CR and i and several other pulled some of the biggest chutes found in Revy inclueding a couple first ever climbs with the 1000.

Last edited:

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe was you Lund. I remember way back probably around 99. We were back in Turttle and a guy on a highly modded cat 1000 triple was doing an insane pull in waist deep powder when his Primary exploded. It was funny watching from the bottom as the skis dropped. Rider does a handstand on the bars then what seemed like forever you could hear the bang and the engine quit. Anyway. Just saying that was one sweet sled. And quite the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take the sound of a triple two stroke any day over a four stroke!!Those 1000's made power but they were a hand full!Good deal on the trailer!But be careful I had good buddies screw me on some deals!But for what you paid for it you could definately do the bearings and brakes if needed for that price!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe was you Lund. I remember way back probably around 99. We were back in Turttle and a guy on a highly modded cat 1000 triple was doing an insane pull in waist deep powder when his Primary exploded. It was funny watching from the bottom as the skis dropped. Rider does a handstand on the bars then what seemed like forever you could hear the bang and the engine quit. Anyway. Just saying that was one sweet sled. And quite the show

I did spend alot of time riding in Turtle but no that wasn't me.
I ran a 1250 in that thing and Chad from CR ran his 1300, we spent alot time pulling the finger chutes off the lake in Turtles.
For a couple years there was a good group of modified Tcat's going around to big riding area's. We would hit Turtle, Monster, Bullpen, Airport on Boulder and Are51 one weekend. Then on another head to Pemberton for even bigger stuff.
Once you welded the cranks on these, they were pretty solid and made monsterous power.

We went away from the big triples once the 4strokes came.

Last edited:

summit1000

Reaction score
Suppose to be 300 hp but hard to believe .

I don't know a lot about modding sleds, but 300 horsepower without a turbo seems unlikely......is it possible to get 300 horsepower out of a sled without adding a turbo?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep race gas and displacement

1250 price triple, 325 hp

Detuned a hole bunch, on pump gas is 240 , with a torque curve the same from 7000 - 8000

Buddy has one

It's awesome

sent while I should be drinking tea's

summit1000

Reaction score
Yep race gas and displacement

1250 price triple, 325 hp

Detuned a hole bunch, on pump gas is 240 , with a torque curve the same from 7000 - 8000

Buddy has one

It's awesome

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Wow.....the power you can get out of a 2 stroke never ceases to amaze me. 260 horsepower/Litre of displacement is insane. That'd be like a 5.7L making 1500 horsepower without any power adders.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did spend alot of time riding in Turtle but no that wasn't me.
I ran a 1250 in that thing and Chad from CR ran his 1300, we spent alot time pulling the finger chutes off the lake in Turtles.
For a couple years there was a good group of modified Tcat's going around to big riding area's. We would hit Turtle, Monster, Bullpen, Airport on Boulder and Are51 one weekend. Then on another head to Pemberton for even bigger stuff.
Once you welded the cranks on these, they were pretty solid and made monsterous power.

We went away from the big triples once the 4strokes came.

I rode all the same areas except Pemberton. Also loves the triples except I was running the 835 bender powered Viper. Went pretty good. Then went boosted 4 stroke too.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Split second built one a few years ago that made 300hp but was 2000 cc triple.
Think made the four stroke turbo boys at that time look .

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suppose to be 300 hp but hard to believe .

That bring back memories, i had that motor in my custom hillclimber back in 2004 and in 05 i wrecked during the Bigiron shoot out and that was the end of that sled...haha memories, it seems just like yesterday.
Its a PSI Genesis, it came in numerous displacements. I had a 1250 with the "dail a dome" cylinder heads. Yes they were capable of 300hp, though depending on your setup. Mine ran 245-250hp on mix, 270-280 striaght C12 and 300+hp with a 35hp shot of nitrous and C16 fuel.
They are a BRUTE of a motor, heavy and big. Much heavier then the Cat 1000 triple(BTW made a solid 170hp stock) These monster 2strokes were heavier then today's Yamaha 4strokes are.
You needed to know how to seriously ride to handle one of these, especially in climbs and in the the mountian's. Experience was a huge benefit, unlike today's pussy hero sled's.
Gee no wonder i like riding a Tnytro today hahaha, they are a dream compared to the old big iron, but i have fond memories.

I rode all the same areas except Pemberton. Also loves the triples except I was running the 835 bender powered Viper. Went pretty good. Then went boosted 4 stroke too.

I rode with a few with similar setup, the old triple Viper was a sweet sled, i also have a sweet spot for the old mountian Max. incredibly reliable and great mountian performer once setup.
I knew a couple of guys that had Mountian Maxes well setup and wow, they had the smallest displacement of the group but you would of never known.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the OP, i thought i put this on for ya.
If your looking eventually into getting more snort out of your 1000, here are mods that work extremely well with it and will get her into the 200hp range.
D&D triple pipes
Reed spacers
Vforce Reeds
Trail porting
If you have it appart, get the crank balanced and welded.
Jetting and clutching will have to be reset according to your area and style.

summit1000

Reaction score
To the OP, i thought i put this on for ya.
If your looking eventually into getting more snort out of your 1000, here are mods that work extremely well with it and will get her into the 200hp range.
D&D triple pipes
Reed spacers
Vforce Reeds
Trail porting
If you have it appart, get the crank balanced and welded.
Jetting and clutching will have to be reset according to your area and style.

Thanks! I haven't decided if I am just going to leave it stock or put some money into it. It is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to start tearing into it yet. I've got a quesiton regarding the ATACC system on there too. If it has ATACC, does changing the jetting do anything? Or will it just recalibrate itself with different jets in there? Like if I put in jets for it to run richer, is it actually going to run richer or will the ATACC just lean it back out because it'll be calibrated for stock. I don't really understand how ATACC works, sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven't decided if I am just going to leave it stock or put some money into it. It is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to start tearing into it yet. I've got a quesiton regarding the ATACC system on there too. If it has ATACC, does changing the jetting do anything? Or will it just recalibrate itself with different jets in there? Like if I put in jets for it to run richer, is it actually going to run richer or will the ATACC just lean it back out because it'll be calibrated for stock. I don't really understand how ATACC works, sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

The atacc only compensates for elevation and temperature changes (pretty sure its both of these but might only change for elevation so double check that) to maintain any baseline you set. So if you install leaner jets, it will correct whatever jetting for the temp/elevation, but if you are too lean to start with, it will still burn down. it does not monitor oxygen and input more fuel accordingly.

summit1000

Reaction score
The atacc only compensates for elevation and temperature changes (pretty sure its both of these but might only change for elevation so double check that) to maintain any baseline you set. So if you install leaner jets, it will correct whatever jetting for the temp/elevation, but if you are too lean to start with, it will still burn down. it does not monitor oxygen and input more fuel accordingly.

Okay, that makes sense! I was worried that if I tried to change the base jet to richen it up, it'd just lean it back out. And yeah, the ATACC does compensate for altitude and elevation....it stands for Automatic Temperature and Altitude Carburetor Compensator.

Thanks for the information :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense! I was worried that if I tried to change the base jet to richen it up, it'd just lean it back out. And yeah, the ATACC does compensate for altitude and elevation....it stands for Automatic Temperature and Altitude Carburetor Compensator.

Thanks for the information :)
Its is what has been mentioned and they are JUNK. Works in the same principle as the old HAC system from BRP, very poor regulating of the fuel system and personally i would remove it and jet the sled for the area you ride.
Just like the HAC it will have the tendency to make your sled run very rich and off balance, even flood the carbs.
The system works through vacuum pressure being applied to the float bowl, via a diaphram and spring assembly. Most of them after a few season didn't work very well. It was the first thing i ditched off my past Cats....the ATTACC.
If you know how to do plug chop checks, that is your best way to set your jetting. BTW stock jetting on most all mountian Cats is generally 2-3sizes to rich.

Top Bottom