5th Wheel Trailer Length

Burns

Reaction score
Okay - looking for some opinions. I am looking at getting into a 5th wheel RV trailer. Currently in a debate with the wife as to go to a 38' Open Range or a 35' Sabre.

Does anyone have any comments on length being an issue when it comes to finding places to camp?

How about brand quality? Was really impressed with the quality look and feel of the Open Range.

Both trailers weigh about the same dry (~ 10,000#).

Anything else I should consider before purchasing?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you planing to take toys with you and would a bumper pull be better than pulling a trailer behind the 5 wheel or are you looking at buying a toy hauler

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take storage space and easy of getting to it into consideration. Lots of cabinets and space for dishes, cutlery, food, books, games, spare bedding, etc....

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
I sold my 36' Everest last fall, and now we are buying a 40' toy hauler, both are fifth wheels, and personaly I would not pull anything else. If you tell the camp ground what your pulling usually they can put you in a stall that will work.
However there is the odd ding a ling out there so make sure you can fit, and remember the hight difference is huge so get your wife or a buddy to watch for branches and such above your unit.

Burns

Reaction score
No toys - mama limits me to winter toys only for now.

The layout in the Open Range is definately more friendly - just worried about the overall size I guess...

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Height....some forget :rolleyes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJF-b1u9_CU[/media]

Most campgrounds can accommodate when told the size of unit.

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also depends on the type of places you go camping, we dont go to resort type camp grounds any more, just the though makes my skin crawl...They park you one on top of the other, you might as well stay in the Walmart parking lot....anyway when we have, some of the older camp grounds had trouble with the longer tall unit....maybe thats changed....

Prefer out of the way places, so we raised the 40' work and play toy hauler by three inches and added a heavy duty skid plate to the back end. Have still used the skid plate getting into some places....we use it for just camping, racing, and even hauled the motor bikes, then did day rides out of it....... makes for a nice mud room when not storing toys....

Have even measured it for the roadster and it will fit, just havent done that yet....

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Consider that you have enough truck to pull a unit of that size. See to many on the road that are under powered. And causing traffic pile ups!

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the Open Range over the Sabre. I think it is a better built unit. As for the extra 3 feet I do not think you would notice the difference.

Is the Open Range 8'4" wide like their TT, if so you might notice that when towing?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go as big as your truck will allow, it'll be cheaper in the long run. As far as the campgrounds go, you should be allright. My truck and trailer is 64' long combined, and we stuffed it into Calaway Park campground without a problem. Won't do it again, as I hate camping with 500 other wankers, but it can be done.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
We had tow behinds in the past, the storage was never there. With fifth wheels you get lots of storage but loose the box of your truck for the most part. Now going to the Toy Hauler I think we have everything we need for now. You do lose living space because of the garage, but we have the carpet option so if we have to, the garage can be another room. I tag along trailer behind the Fifth Wheel is an option for your toys, but I only recommend an experienced driver attempt this. For me I don't like pulling something I can't see, and unfortunately for some newbie camper quaders as this site would put it, because they can't see it they forget it's there. I think everyone knows where I'm going with this. No matter what your decision ends up being, there will always be something bigger and better. So is life right. Take care and happy camping, we do it because we love it.

Burns

Reaction score
I would prefer the Open Range over the Sabre. I think it is a better built unit. As for the extra 3 feet I do not think you would notice the difference.

Is the Open Range 8'4" wide like their TT, if so you might notice that when towing?

I would agree on the better built end of things. Is the 8'4" width a big deal?

Burns

Reaction score
As well - what have your experiences been with buying in the states? How have any warranty/servicing worked, any issues coming accross? With upwards of $15-17k in price difference it is pretty hard to pass up.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the rv show last weekend in Calgary I think prices were down that much at the show.

I have had 8' and 8'6" TT and you will notice the difference (maybe not as much with a 5th wheel) Have you towed many trailers before?

As for buying out of the US I hear it is easy with a trailer just use a dealer that has done it.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love the toyhauler..once the quads are out you have the most expensive dog house ever made..and it makes a purdy good porch to get dressed in too!i installed a cabinet in there and you can put yer boots and gear in there and a stand-up toolbox(mounted to the floor of course).if needed it can be used as a spare room or if its raining you can put the picnic table in there and still enjoy the day!..mine is a 36ft kz sportsman sportster se..go toyhauler!

Burns

Reaction score
Did you look at the rv show last weekend in Calgary I think prices were down that much at the show.

I have had 8' and 8'6" TT and you will notice the difference (maybe not as much with a 5th wheel) Have you towed many trailers before?

As for buying out of the US I hear it is easy with a trailer just use a dealer that has done it.

Yeah we walked through the show last week. there was over 12k difference on the sale price up here and the best price I found down south. I am all for supporting the local guy but that's a lot of cake.

Last edited:

Burns

Reaction score
As well I have towed plenty of trailers just never a fifth wheel.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just curious because the Open range that I was thinking about was only about a $2000 to 2500 difference with the options that I wanted. But I have decided to stay with what I have.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Go as big as your truck will allow, it'll be cheaper in the long run. As far as the campgrounds go, you should be allright. My truck and trailer is 64' long combined, and we stuffed it into Calaway Park campground without a problem. Won't do it again, as I hate camping with 500 other wankers, but it can be done.

you should post photo's of your rig Todd.

Top Bottom