Rode Renshaw yesterday!-Dec 3.09

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a proper way to ride up a trail. I must have missed that training course.

I'm sure this will get something going. If riders wouldn't wick on it the woops would not be nearly as bad. A nice constant on the trottle ride up and down would make for a better trail all around.
No training course on this.

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its more of a common sence thing, when you roost on her its just like on the hill, youll dig, which results in those big ruts and bumps, i had guys fly past me on the trail up only to stop, roost on it again and keep that up. Why?

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd get this started. And the "course" comment was rhetorical. It doesn't matter how you ride on the trail, it will always end up bumpy like that. It is no different than a gravel road. Over time and use it gets rough. The worst is to hear people complain about it! On a good weekend the trail will see 800 sleds at Renshaw. Thats a total of 1600 up and down on a trail that at the most is 10 feet wide. Multiply that by 2 days and you get one rough trail. It wouldn't matter if we all did 10 kph.
But if you still need someone to blame; its gotta be the Polaris guys. lol. Doo's don't make ruts.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd get this started. And the "course" comment was rhetorical. It doesn't matter how you ride on the trail, it will always end up bumpy like that. It is no different than a gravel road. Over time and use it gets rough. The worst is to hear people complain about it! On a good weekend the trail will see 800 sleds at Renshaw. Thats a total of 1600 up and down on a trail that at the most is 10 feet wide. Multiply that by 2 days and you get one rough trail. It wouldn't matter if we all did 10 kph.
But if you still need someone to blame; its gotta be the Polaris guys. lol. Doo's don't make ruts.

I agree with you but the difference between a gravel road and the trails are that the trails get a groom almost everday on the weekends and therefore should be in good shape if all would just take it a bit easy on the trottle. I know it is a hard sell, but with managed speeds like in Ontario and Michigan the trails stay in very good shape. Yellowstone as well.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A credit on your next visit for groomer surcharges.

This does not sound like a good thing, but i am always happy to pay for grooming , even if the trail is crapped out , sure he grooms he also take up propane, drags down the garbage. A man/woman that never gets a pat on the back. Rep for the groomer

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, the often unseen hero..... Like y'all said, just cruise at a nice constant speed..... I know lotsa mod sleds, that have to burp all the way up and down the trails to keep them from running too lean/hot......they should pay double, and reduce our prices.......just throwin' that out there......... Lol

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A speed limit on the trail sounds like a good idea but in my opinion will only cause more problems. Who will police it? What will the limit be? What will this cost the riders? Who makes this decision?
In the end we all have to realize that snow is light and fluffy and gets bumpy. It won't matter what is changed to try to cure it. Adding more rules to this sport is not the answer.
And for the record, I wasn't dissing the groomer. Props off to him. Working nights in the cold for us. He does a great job. Many a times I've seen a broken sled or a wounded sledder hitchin a ride. They deserve a pat on the back!:beer:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there will never be rules like that, I was just showing a comparison that is all.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like trying not to stay in the 5-6500rpm range too long because of the lean condition due to the 07 mid alt programming eh Ric? I know I do!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, notice how bell and lucile seem to be always good? Even if 30-40 people are there, i've never seen the trail bad. Renshaw, even when they was 80 up all day when I was there, it was extremely pounded out. It's all how you do it. Like said the guys who feel the need to WOT to slam on the brakes. There is no reason to ever touch the brakes the whole trail up. The people riding like idiots are just pissing off everyone else and making more work for the groomer.

Most likely the same guys leaving all the beer cans in the cabin :rolleyes:

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
It's the fools racing up and down and slamming on the brakes at every corner.I see it every time i ride that trail.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the fools racing up and down and slamming on the brakes at every corner.I see it every time i ride that trail.

I'd say about 70-80% of the riders use excessive speed at the Renshaw trail. Not stupid speed but excessive to the point where the bumps are created. Most of which don't even know that they are to blame for this but are quick to blame everyone else! By my math that makes a lot of FOOLS.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, the often unseen hero..... Like y'all said, just cruise at a nice constant speed..... I know lotsa mod sleds, that have to burp all the way up and down the trails to keep them from running too lean/hot......they should pay double, and reduce our prices.......just throwin' that out there......... Lol

You mean like that one guy with the polaris 800? the really loud one? Oh and that rev 800 that keeps blowing the engine? Yea i think he should pay more! :beer::d

I'd say about 70-80% of the riders use excessive speed at the Renshaw trail. Not stupid speed but excessive to the point where the bumps are created. Most of which don't even know that they are to blame for this but are quick to blame everyone else! By my math that makes a lot of FOOLS.

It depends on the riders mood. I know in the morning I do like to hammer on the throttle a bit, Showing off my purdy sled. But in the afternoon, (And it's not just me, Our whole group does it) We do ride fast, But we dont slam on the breaks to just crawl around the corners, the coming out of the corners slam on the throttle.. We take the corners quickly to.. We do pass people because we go fast, But not in a hysterical irresponsible way.. On a typical day on the trail up or down, I would say we only pass about 1 or 2 groups doing a constant smooth speed, And one of those 1 or 2 groups is probably going up for snowboarding or just to sit at the cabin and have a few drinks and enjoy them selves.

No one can say they dont do it. I'm sure everyone likes to come out of a corner and burp the gas every once in a while. :cool:

Regulating the speed of the trail would just deter business. Then everyone would go to valemount, Revelstoke, Blue river, Trout lake, Golden, Sicamous....... Shall I go on?

All in all, I found it you stay at a constant fast speed, taking the trails fast and gradually accelerating, You can just float over the whoops =)

(Ps. Im not trying to say "Oh pinning the throttle is fine" But I'm trying to say that everyone does it. Im almost certain no one's innocent.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom