rocky mountain house atv trails/camping

six buck

Reaction score
Planning an atv trip somewhere west of rocky. roughly Aug 1-10 period. Dont know much at all about area but looking for info on random camping or suitable general camping as well as average difficulty longer trip rides. Will be just my wife and I so looking into teaming up with other riders. New 800 commander and lots of expierience.

Fun Riders

Reaction score
We've ridden quads west of Rocky mtn hse at Horberg /Chambers creek area. Miles of cut lines and trails, not groomed but open and not overused. Random camping. We were recently told about an area a few miles further west called Saunders mine. Have to check this one out ourselves. Further west yet, about 30k past Nordegg on hwy 11 is bighorn dam riding area, random camping and lots of excellent groomed trails and loop rides. Best family trail system we've seen. We're going to be in that area on a quadding vacation aug 3-12, maybe we can hook up for some rides or camping. We are a husband and wife team also.

six buck

Reaction score
It would be great to hook up with you. Any idea how busy the random camping gets there? Ive travelled on highway 11 past nordegg but have never got the chance to do any riding there yet but it sounds like it might be a nice area. If you are interested in making further plans shoot me an email. kramerscustom@gmail.com Thanks.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some trails in the bighorn area have been closed, suggest you acquire a pluz map from srd. available from most atv shops in the area. u don't want to be paying" extra riding fee's", if ya know what i mean.

six buck

Reaction score
When SRD closses trails do they not post them. Without signage it would be near impossible to avoid the fee. But ya thanks for the heads up and we will be getting all our info lined up. Must be a visitors centre in Rocky with trail maps etc.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just Home from out there !!!!
Awesome weekend there and great weather !!! Got an awesome spot to camp...down in the bottom !!
The SRD posted a map at the GATE on the dam (it's small so watch for it), it highlighted the trails that were open and closed.
The RCMP AND SRD were at "the ravine" on Saturday ....checking everyone out!!! The SRD said they had issues with people ripping the maps off the board by the dam...and people removing flagging on closed trails. They said it was up to US to know which trails are open and closed !! They also said it is sad when innocent (riders that don't know) people get fined for others stupid actions !!!

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've ridden quads west of Rocky mtn hse at Horberg /Chambers creek area. Miles of cut lines and trails, not groomed but open and not overused. Random camping. We were recently told about an area a few miles further west called Saunders mine. Have to check this one out ourselves. Further west yet, about 30k past Nordegg on hwy 11 is bighorn dam riding area, random camping and lots of excellent groomed trails and loop rides. Best family trail system we've seen. We're going to be in that area on a quadding vacation aug 3-12, maybe we can hook up for some rides or camping. We are a husband and wife team also.

Been to Saunders twice and love it. First time we were out there we explored the old town for a day as well as the mine and a few other ruins. You can also ride the old rail line to Nordegg you just have to make your way around a few areas where there use to be trestles. We were out the beginning of July and most of the trails were drier than last fall.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be even wetter out there now with the monsoon we have had.

sent from my htc

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
suds buds are planning on going out there for the sept long weekend, should be a good ride.

Top Bottom