Road conditions. Wow!!

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4x is a MAJOR waste of fuel. Use AS necessary, to each their own. Highway I never use it, and done thousands among thousands of kms through icy steep park roads. 1st truck was a 2wd ranger with all seasons(which work fine), you learn fast how to drive properly on icy roads in a vehicle with no weight in the back end. Even with that I was never in the ditch passing by plenty of people dug in. They key: DRIVE to the conditions. If its REALLY ****ty and slippery, pretty easy trick. SLOW DOWN! no sudden ANYTHING (gas,brake,steering) If you ever want to learn the best way to drive in 2wd, go find a frozen enough lake and practice, try NOT to spin the tires at all. Then you will know EXACTLY what your truck can and can't do with NO traction.

just my 2c

DHB OUT!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish Alberta had a winter tire law. I go to lots of accidents and see vehicles with poor tires.
IMO 4x4 helps or awd. Both are great for snow and icy roads.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish Alberta had a winter tire law. I go to lots of accidents and see vehicles with poor tires.

I run Cooper STT's (not studded, MT) all year round on both my Dodges. They are a mud tire... I couldn't imagine my life on a set of Hakkipellita's or Blizzak's... I doo drive slow compared to most and stay out of the ditch. I mostly run 2wd but use the 4x4 liberally in poor road conditions... And if I feel nice, probably pull a few peeps out of the tulips along the way.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't think it would make any difference to the people who don't drive to the conditions. It would just make their false sense of invincability cause they are drivin a 4x4 even worse. JMHO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We all know there is no common sense these days and everyone is invincible and in a big hurry. Coming out of Calgary last Wednesday, the slushy wet roads were naturally going to turn to ice as the degree of traffic lessened. I could feel it getting progressively slippery (my first clue and slow down a little!). Oh, oh, first car in the ditch (my second clue and slow down a little more). All the while the left lane is a steady stream of people in a hurry to get home from work. Did they get the clues? Maybe, maybe not!

Winter tires make a huge difference, studded tires also make a huge difference, and 4x4 is sweet. Still, one has to drive to the road conditions and not what one "thinks" the vehicle can handle. Over driving the road conditions is way too common this day and age.

Four hours later (normally, an easy 3 hour drive) and seldom over 80 kms, as we were pushing 3-4" of snow nearly all the way, we made it home. A few tow trucks, many vehicles in the ditch, and white out conditions meeting vehicles, it was a slow and tedious drive.

Common sense, I like to think so!

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what they did 30 years ago when 2wd and rwd cars were the norm. Couldn't imagine driving in those conditions ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome you are a superstar and can drive in 2wd uphill on a skating rink pulling 8000lbs. all the power too you. i cant and dont want to. so into 4x4 she goes. obviously like mentioned you still have to drive to the conditions around corners, downhills braking etc. i will drive in 2wd all through the park passes when my sled deck is fully loaded. very good traction and it rarely brakes loose and even if it does its very easy to manage and keeps you sharp. but unloaded or pulling a fully loaded enlcosed is a different story to me. it wants to keep pushing your rear end around. its very clear that 4x4 does give some people a false sense of conditions i see it alot on my regular weekend trips to valemount from edmonton. uphill around a corner in a snowstorm passing with a 28ft enclosed...some people just have a death wish i guess.

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
If I'm towing my enclosed trailer on icey roads with my long box dually it's in 4x4 for sure. Can spin out on steep hills easy. But If I'm using the sled deck with two sleds on it the truck is almost impossible to spin out on icey roads, I got winter tires and a giant slip tank under the sled deck so the weight helps a ton

Gf learned the hard way that weight of sleds on the deck can also e your worst enemy if it does break lose.... Hard to correct when that weighted down back end starts to force ya around

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive a C/C LB diesel, the fact is empty pickups suck on snow and ice, especially duallys like I run. Even with studded Nokian Haks, it's poor compared to something like my wifes Yukon. I'll check my ego and run 4x4 thank you.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would make any difference to the people who don't drive to the conditions. It would just make their false sense of invincability cause they are drivin a 4x4 even worse. JMHO[/QUOTE
You have that correct. Have good tires and drive to the conditions and two wheel drive is all that is needed 80 percent of the time. Being in 4x4 wont help when bombing along at 130 pulling an enclosed and you hit black ice.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent seen any lately but I obviously dont travel the same roads as you.

You never drove Hwy 2 yesterday obviously. Sicamous doesn't get the ice like we develop here as well. Fine snow drifting at -15 being polished by 1000 cars an hour makes it slick. I busted 6 studded tires loose yesterday pulling away from one of the aforementioned trucks hanging off the wire yesterday, and my truck is a gutless old POS. Good thing I was driving, I probably couldn't have walked on it.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 4x4 most of the time, I spend the money to buy it, my safety and time is important to me and to me it is worth using.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

I agree. The new trucks now a days can handle the higher speeds in 4x4. And as for the fact it burns more fuel. I've ran 2wheel and 4x4 from Edm to mcbride numerous times this year on my 2014 ford. Honestly never seen huge differences in fuel usage. But I'm honestly not making the trips to manage fuel savings. Hauling a 30ft enclosed loaded to the tits. Can't really go into expecting great mileage. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgb117

Reaction score
Just have to drive smart IMO. 4x4 is great but not designed to travel highway speeds. You can argue that fixing it is cheaper than a new truck which is absolutely correct but remember that you can always slow down. If I'm in 4x4 I'm not going faster than 90kph... If you NEED to b in 4x4 then that means road conditions aren't good n u need to slow down

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4X4 is a waste of fuel???:confused:

50 g truck
15 g sled trailer
4 sleds inside ?? I don't sled so pick a number. 3 sxs's 60 g

Can't afford fuel??

Big investment buy good tires and run in 4X4

Rant over

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4wd is a tool to assist you if needed. If you plan on running all the time get awd.

Not saying that it doesn't help but you should drive to the conditions. I agree if pulling a trailer use it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just have to drive smart IMO. 4x4 is great but not designed to travel highway speeds. You can argue that fixing it is cheaper than a new truck which is absolutely correct but remember that you can always slow down. If I'm in 4x4 I'm not going faster than 90kph... If you NEED to b in 4x4 then that means road conditions aren't good n u need to slow down

forsure. however my 2013 gmc owners manual states NO speed limitation for 4x4 high. 70km/h for 4wd low

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4X4 is a waste of fuel???:confused:

50 g truck
15 g sled trailer
4 sleds inside ?? I don't sled so pick a number. 3 sxs's 60 g

Can't afford fuel??

Big investment buy good tires and run in 4X4

Rant over

X2 arff. Exactly what I was thinking. Drive for conditions always and if 4x4 is gonna help protect my investment....I will use it.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Top Bottom