Road conditions. Wow!!

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just witnessed a red dodge pulling a mirage enclosed black. At RR 224 heading west. Those guys are lucky as hell!! Not once but twice they had the truck sliding from one side of the 2 lane hwy to the other. I'm in shock they didn't slow down after the first time it happened. Thought they were coming through the ditch and right at me. After they gained control looked back in my mirror only to see them lose it again. Like seriously. Slow down guys. The hill isn't going anywhere. If ya seem them out there this weekend they got off lucky. But then again there's still 550km to go. So ya might see them in the ditch still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya. Was just leaving the park heading to my acreage on 223. It's blowing like crazy. Once you come over that hill on 16 heading west hwy turns to shear ice up to clover bar road. People are always in the ditch. These guys were hauling. Not gonna lie I was scared for them and everyone else. Can't imagine how they were

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya. Was just leaving the park heading to my acreage on 223. It's blowing like crazy. Once you come over that hill on 16 heading west hwy turns to shear ice up to clover bar road. People are always in the ditch. These guys were hauling. Not gonna lie I was scared for them and everyone else. Can't imagine how they were

i dont care how hard it is on a truck...when its like that im in 4x4 so at least the truck wont break loose climbing a hill etc/

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much 90% of 4x4 trucks that you see in the ditch got there cause they were in 2wd on icy roads. Only time I take my truck out of 4wd in the winter is if I want to fit in a parking stall. I Tried driving in 2wd once and man I don't get how people can do it, lol nothing like spinning on a green light not going anywhere and going sideways all the time

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much 90% of 4x4 trucks that you see in the ditch got there cause they were in 2wd on icy roads. Only time I take my truck out of 4wd in the winter is if I want to fit in a parking stall. I Tried driving in 2wd once and man I don't get how people can do it, lol nothing like spinning on a green light not going anywhere and going sideways all the time

some of the guys that ive riden to valemount with refuse to put it in 4x4. when i see the roads getting slick ill click it on for them. pretty disrespectfull for the other 3 guys lives.

the road conditions can change so fast and with high HP diesels they break loose so easy and if your not ready for it your done.

really like you said its only hard on it when they are turned sharp IMO.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost never drive in 4x4. It doesn't help you stop or keep you from sliding off a curve you took too fast. IMHO it can give you a false sense of road conditions. When a rear tire breaks traction that's a wake-up call to stay sharp.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost never drive in 4x4. It doesn't help you stop or keep you from sliding off a curve you took too fast. IMHO it can give you a false sense of road conditions. When a rear tire breaks traction that's a wake-up call to stay sharp.
Agree and if you need 4 x 4 to stay out of the ditch then you need to learn how to drive.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When in he city and it's slick I run it in 4X4 just to keep it moving w/out spinning.. On the highway I'm the same, use it as required so I don't kick the back end out, lose it on a corner in 4X4 you have a much better chance of getting it back under control... Drive to conditions for stopping distance and visibility.. All good..

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Days like today where the wind & blowing snow creates random icy sections I'll drive in 2wd till I feel the first sign of breaking traction then I'll go into 4wd because the truck is so much more stable and less likely to get tail happy. So I kind of use 2wd as an indicator to the road conditions. If you go in 4wd the whole way it's not so easy to sense the traction available. I'll also say today's conditions are one of the few times an open rear diff is nice as you can easily sense the traction loss without the rear end shooting sideways like it would with a limited slip.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One ton crew cab long box with good tires ?
Glare ice and drive as you should you have a hard time having any trouble.
It's the other drivers that I watch all the time.
Put thousands of Kms on a year and see some crazy chit.
Small all wheel drive units that are always over driving the conditions and off into the brambles.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least my diesel it wont kick out on ice in 2wd due to the traction and stab control, but you cant get going either so instead of polishing the intersection for everyone else its in 4wd or if theres not many people around or behind me ill leave it in 2wd and put a couple tires against the curb in the snow and crawl away till it bites then giver. The problem with a diesel is once it starts sliding its like a curling rock, hard to stop due to the weight.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree and if you need 4 x 4 to stay out of the ditch then you need to learn how to drive.

So if I drive in 4x4 on icy roads I need to learn how to drive? Id rather be safe and keep my truck firmly planted to the road than have it kicking out in every patch of ice and risk hitting the ditch or loosing control into oncoming traffic causing a head on.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm empty I normally always run 2 wheel drive. Feel that you know the road conditions better. If roads are ****ty and pulling usually kick in the 4x4, or in the city as to not hold people up at the intersections.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run winter tires then you don't need 4wd, it's the tards with "all terrain" tires that are likely to have problems and need 4wd. The thing with running in 4wd is you do not stop any faster when it's slick.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm towing my enclosed trailer on icey roads with my long box dually it's in 4x4 for sure. Can spin out on steep hills easy. But If I'm using the sled deck with two sleds on it the truck is almost impossible to spin out on icey roads, I got winter tires and a giant slip tank under the sled deck so the weight helps a ton

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I drive in 4x4 on icy roads I need to learn how to drive? Id rather be safe and keep my truck firmly planted to the road than have it kicking out in every patch of ice and risk hitting the ditch or loosing control into oncoming traffic causing a head on.
Why would your truck kick out on every patch of ice?

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dude was probably checking out the valemount thread for grooming conditons or pouring road pops for his buddies,
Most likely wasn't the wind, ice, being in 2x4, or from the HID's

Top Bottom