Rivet Guns

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Okay, here comes the stupid question for today...

Im a pipeliner, so I have used a rivet gun maybe 2 times in my life...We weld everything, if we cant weld it, we throw it out!

Here is my question, I decided that I had to change a few things on my sled, and of course need some rivets so off to the store and bought a manual, swivel head rivet gun. Using 3/16 rivets, and to be honest, I cannot squeeze the damn rivet gun. Now is it ME, the GUN, the RIVETS, or what??

Why are these so darn hard to intall???

Tips? Suggestions?? Thanks...

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If their stainless tunnel rivets you'll never be able to pull them with a hand gun, I broke my hand gun when I tried to pull the first stainless I used, and depending on the length of the shank on the aluminum it may be tough to pull be should still be able to do it. Do yourself a favor and go to Princess Auto and get a pnuematic gun and pull away.

But then again being a welder maybe your just weak. jk:d

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy it from Canadian Tire? I did, and what a peice of sh!t. I'm not a great big guy, but I'm not a total puzzy either, but I have a hard time with it. I bought another one from Gregg's, don't recall the name, but it's not a swivel head, works awesome.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If their stainless tunnel rivets you'll never be able to pull them with a hand gun, I broke my hand gun when I tried to pull the first stainless I used, and depending on the length of the shank on the aluminum it may be tough to pull be should still be able to do it. Do yourself a favor and go to Princess Auto and get a pnuematic gun and pull away.

But then again being a welder maybe your just weak. jk:d

Ditto pneumatic is the way to go. I'm going to buy one when I do my Mac Tools 1/2 off deal later this year.

Sissy welders:p

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too hard to pop a 3/16 rivet....does the gun squeeze without a rivet in it? See if it will pull a 3/16 drill bit through it. If it does, then it's you.:d

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have head all brands of hand ones they all suck with the sudden snap when it let's go bought a pneumatic off the tool truck love it still have a big hand one but it's for larger ones that the air one won't fit

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Well, I knew I was gonna take some chit LOL...

Tust me, its NOT me...Its a JET, not Canadian Tire one, supposed? to be decent, and yes Stainless Steel rivets. The gun physically works, just seems to not be powerful enough...squeezed it so hard, I have bruises at the edges of my palms from last night. I think an air one is in my future...

Thanks for the replies!!

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the tip it might be too small for the rivet size you want to pull or go buy the aluminum rivets there allot easier of a pull. hope it helps.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I used a hand one was on a tractor trailer van trailer used two pices of pipe over the handles till I broke it and pinched my finger just then the tool truck showed up and you can guess what I bought

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long horn, PA has the air one, works really well, they also have a larger one that you will probably need. It is a scissor action one, something like 35 bucks or something, maybe a bit more. The air one is 60 or 80, but I know mine will not pull in the stainless or even the larger steel ones, and that is on service truck air at 150psi....

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im a pipeliner, so I have used a rivet gun maybe 2 times in my life...We weld everything, if we cant weld it, we throw it out!

Here is my question, I decided that I had to change a few things on my sled, and of course need some rivets so off to the store and bought a manual, swivel head rivet gun. Using 3/16 rivets, and to be honest, I cannot squeeze the damn rivet gun. Now is it ME, the GUN, the RIVETS, or what??

B...It's OK...I'm fugging ripped:d and I can't do the stainless ones by hand either. Air riveters are dreamy:d

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I work with rivets all day long I fix aircraft

Go to princess auto and buy yourself an air riveter (about $70) or hydraulic riveter (they might have discontinued the hydraulic riveter)

I bought the air riveter and have not regretted it saves a lot of pain

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just saying.

Attachments

• hand_exerciser.jpg
    hand_exerciser.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 195

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also use good qaulity rivets. The Hemlock design i believe is the type that guys like CR Racing use. The aircraft guy would know better i just have a bag i dont remember excactly what they are called. I leaves a nice little button on the back and has a higher shear strength.

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also use good qaulity rivets. The Hemlock design i believe is the type that guys like CR Racing use. The aircraft guy would know better i just have a bag i dont remember excactly what they are called. I leaves a nice little button on the back and has a higher shear strength.

The Structural rivets we use are called Cherry max rivets they are far superior to pop rivets but in the larger sizes you need a C/max gun to pull them

Top Bottom