River Running

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why people screw around on rivers!This Whitecourt incident is prime example of why it's stupid!I live close to the Athabasca river and every year I'm amazed at the tracks I see on it!I cross that river on sleds,fish in it and boat on it and have been doing it all my life at can tell you with 100% certainty that it is different EVERY year!!Sand bars move in and out,levels change and open holes and thin ice move ALL winter!!Last week I was pushing snow on some land I have along the river and there was sled tracks right down the middle of it!!!....STUPID!!!...The river is at least 1/4 mile wide in that bend and has some crazy under currents a long there!!The only reason there was no open water showing was because of the recent snow and drifting snow!A thing I learned from the old timers and some trappers is if a moose won't cross the ice it's not safe!Sounds crazy but I've seen tracks go on the ice and for no reason turn and cross in a different spot and a few days later you'll see an open hole there!Pretty bad when swamp donkeys are smarter than some humans!Everyone has water skipped at one time or another myself included but don't do it where there is a current!!You'll never pull yourself out if it goes bad and you have current pulling on you!There is no reason to piss around on a river!In my books getting caught in an avalanche is more of an accident than breaking through on a river!But in either case it all comes down to using common sense!:confused:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why people screw around on rivers!This Whitecourt incident is prime example of why it's stupid!I live close to the Athabasca river and every year I'm amazed at the tracks I see on it!I cross that river on sleds,fish in it and boat on it and have been doing it all my life at can tell you with 100% certainty that it is different EVERY year!!Sand bars move in and out,levels change and open holes and thin ice move ALL winter!!Last week I was pushing snow on some land I have along the river and there was sled tracks right down the middle of it!!!....STUPID!!!...The river is at least 1/4 mile wide in that bend and has some crazy under currents a long there!!The only reason there was no open water showing was because of the recent snow and drifting snow!A thing I learned from the old timers and some trappers is if a moose won't cross the ice it's not safe!Sounds crazy but I've seen tracks go on the ice and for no reason turn and cross in a different spot and a few days later you'll see an open hole there!Pretty bad when swamp donkeys are smarter than some humans!Everyone has water skipped at one time or another myself included but don't do it where there is a current!!You'll never pull yourself out if it goes bad and you have current pulling on you!There is no reason to piss around on a river!In my books getting caught in an avalanche is more of an accident than breaking through on a river!But in either case it all comes down to using common sense!:confused:

I here you! Water skipping a puddle in the field is one thing, but the athabasca river is not smart!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly a lake/ pond or dugout yah cool but moving water sorry but Darwinism wins again
Condolences to the family In This situation but it was inevitable it was going to happen

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
What I found odd was the age of the riders. Younger guys is what I first thought. But when I found out it was older gentleman it surprised me. As young rebels tend to throw caution to the wind.

Seen lots of ponds and creeks with open holes on them this weekend ditch banging around home. could only imagine what the rivers are looking like. it's that time of year. Stay safe.

None the less Never want to see people go like that.

Rest In Peace

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I generally run the Athabasca a lot every season. I've been doing it for years from the Pelican Rapids to Smith. My biggest concern is a hidden ice heave or jagged chunk sticking up. I've seen my fair share of over flow and know when to stick to the edges.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised anyone does this. There are a lot of people on this site worried about getting wet when they're riding in snow and some rain never mind dropping into moving water. It's very sad when decisions like this cost so much.
My wife reads about these incidents and I have to reassure her that I am making decisions that won't affect my family when I'm sledding.
The number of trees I try to avoid is enough of a risk when I'm sledding.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1873_zps2c49c4cf.jpg

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why there are so many people that mix booze and motor vehicles. It is never a good combo. I too had to have the "chat" with my wife about my choices while out sledding. My sincere condolences to the family and friends!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
.......A thing I learned from the old timers and some trappers is if a moose won't cross the ice it's not safe!Sounds crazy but I've seen tracks go on the ice and for no reason turn and cross in a different spot and a few days later you'll see an open hole there!..........

First of all, condolences to the families and friends. RIP for the lost loved ones.

Secondly, follow the moose tracks! Many times in my early years of sledding in the north (and that was north of 60), it was follow the moose tracks around the skeg, creeks, and lakes. I too, learned this from an old trapper. The moose feels the "ground" and knows it is solid whether the ground be rock, dirt, ice, or mud. They know what is underneath them. Moose will cross the rivers much more freely in the fall and summer months than in the winter. Yes, we can learn from them.....:hmm:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deep condolences to everyone involved. Booze.. not a wise choice for anything motorsport related.

Many haters want us to be the sledders that simply ride the trails. Nothing wrong with that for some, but for many of us, we love the sense of adventure that goes along with piloting our braaap mobile.
Cornice Hucking, Climbing chutes, and water skipping all have an element of risk involved, so it is essential to have a clear mind, and a level of humble judgement when partaking in these activities. To say people "shouldn't" river run is an over generalization in my opinion. Perhaps Shouldn't in that particular place on the river, that river, that time of year, and intoxicated would be more appropriate.
We can become our own worst enemy by the choices we make, especially if it results in Death. There is no ap for your thinker. It's something you have to choose to use.

Trish :)

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all, condolences to the families and friends. RIP for the lost loved ones.

Secondly, follow the moose tracks! Many times in my early years of sledding in the north (and that was north of 60), it was follow the moose tracks around the skeg, creeks, and lakes. I too, learned this from an old trapper. The moose feels the "ground" and knows it is solid whether the ground be rock, dirt, ice, or mud. They know what is underneath them. Moose will cross the rivers much more freely in the fall and summer months than in the winter. Yes, we can learn from them.....:hmm:

I remember watching a big bull moose crossing the Slave River years ago. He made it most of the way and then broke through. After watching him struggle for over an our and breaking ice in a circle I finally shot him. I guess the moral of this is that it is not always safe to follow moose tracks. Or sled tracks!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can think of nothing less fun than the idea of riding your 5 - 30K sled over water where if you f' up you lose your toy and fall into frigid water while trying to swim with full winter clothes and boots on. I like adventure and do my fair share of crazy chit on sleds, skis, bikes, etc. but water skipping just makes me scratch my head.

And in terms of the booze comment I don't think there is enough in the world for me to think this is a good idea.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can think of nothing less fun than the idea of riding your 5 - 30K sled over water where if you f' up you lose your toy and fall into frigid water while trying to swim with full winter clothes and boots on. I like adventure and do my fair share of crazy chit on sleds, skis, bikes, etc. but water skipping just makes me scratch my head.

And in terms of the booze comment I don't think there is enough in the world for me to think this is a good idea.

Ya, I don't get it either.
But I'd like to try it.........in August........across Wasa lake........with someone else's sled! Anybody wanna loan me one? :whoo:

Top Bottom