Rino 650 or 655T

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Look for some feed back on which rino to get for use around Revy area. Anyone know if the topo maps that come preloaded on the 655T work for in the Revy area or should I just get the 650 and load topo. What's you thoughts, is the 655T worth the extra $100

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im in canada and i just bought a 655t but i got a good deal, i payed the same for the 655 as tyhe 650, The maps on the 655t do not cover canada, so i would go to the 650 and load your maps, i have not added the birds eye on it but i think i might, if you have the maps the camera is not worth the extra, i have not had a chance to use it on the sled yet, would be good to get some feed back on it, i have used the 530hcx for a few years

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. exactly what I was looking for. I was leaning towards the 650 and now I know it's the way to go. Thanks.

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where does a guy get some maps for the revy area?

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
cabela's or wholesale sports in Edmonton will sell you the SD card to go in your garmin. I bought them at bass pro in vegas the last time I was down there for like $40. I think they are a lot more here. Look online and you'll find a good deal somewhere.

bailer

Reaction score
Advantage of the 655t is it transmits at 5watts, (v 2 watts for the 650), has a camera, us topo maps, and has more built in memory.
Main advantage of the 655 is double the range (rated 20 miles v 8 miles for the 650) but it isn't licensed for Canada.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our whole group just bought the 655t's and they are awesome. We had a couple guys get off track and when we got into contact with them they were about 12km away. I don't think the 2w version would work that far but i'm not sure. As said earlier, the camera isn't worth the extra $$$ as far as the picture quality goes but its great for taking landmark pics to attach to your way points.

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
If your going to buy a rino just get the 650.
Would be nice to have 5 watts but 2 is the law.
Also revy maps are top secret.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah my 650 I bought from the states has 5w. Just saying, it depends where they are bought, that's all.
Advantage of the 655t is it transmits at 5watts, (v 2 watts for the 650), has a camera, us topo maps, and has more built in memory.
Main advantage of the 655 is double the range (rated 20 miles v 8 miles for the 650) but it isn't licensed for Canada.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Believe the Canadian models have 2watts only. US version is 5 watts in the 650 and 655t. I bought the 655t. But I got it for the same price as the 650. So why not. The 610 is lower watts in the US and canada

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get some vendors on eBay to ship the 5 watt radios into canada but the bigger retailers like GPS city or Cabela's won't because of the federal regulation on the radio

Thegeneral

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a couple 650's from GPS city. Getting them shipped to some family in the US and then back up here to get the 5w versions. Going to be looking for maps as soon as they get up here too

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of retailers will ship to canada, as well as ebay, i have been using my 5watt recently with a couple of 2watt units, there is a differance for sure

giddyup

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can download the US ofA download to the canadian radio and have the 5 watt upgrade so i hear.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of retailers will ship to canada, as well as ebay, i have been using my 5watt recently with a couple of 2watt units, there is a differance for sure

giddyup

they are a line of sight radio, any real world numbers, side by side comparrisons, of range.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are a line of sight radio, any real world numbers, side by side comparrisons, of range.

Two of us on 655t rino's. one at top of cut block at oasis ghe other still at the road by the river and clear as a bell. Distance is probably close to 8-9 miles

Thegeneral

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two of us on 655t rino's. one at top of cut block at oasis ghe other still at the road by the river and clear as a bell. Distance is probably close to 8-9 miles

Thegeneral

any comparison with the rhino 530/520 chx in distance. or with a 2 watt radio. is what i'm looking for. not the store literature, but real world experience 6-8 miles is good range.

DonKiddic

Reaction score
you can download the US ofA download to the canadian radio and have the 5 watt upgrade so i hear.

I contacted Garmin Support and was told that there is no software upgrade or download to convert a 2 watt radio to 5 watt,

Top Bottom