Riding with my son

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This post is nothing more than sharing my enjoyment I get from riding with my 6 year old son. I'm sure that any other enthusiest would share this sediment and want, as I, for him to excel at the sport. I started sledding 3 years ago now and I can see him showing me a thing or 2 soon enough. he is rideing a 440 srv and rides like he's been doing it for years. he even wants to hang out in the shop fix'en what's broke. I stop and wonder if he helps me become a better rider because how closely I see he watches me and takes my lead. I look forward to riding with him for years to come and wrenching on sleds ;)

jockdoc

Reaction score
Cool. I've got my 2 boys, ages 7 and 12, into it also. The one guy seems a bit more interested, but overall its fun to see them learn to ride and have fun in the snow!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love to read this. I have my 10, 12 and 14 year old hooked. All started on a 340 long track with paddles which has been awesome as it never gets stuck and can take them everywhere. Now 10 year old on 600 RMK, 12 year old daughter still likes 340 and 14 year old riding 14 800 Pro. Soon he will be outriding Dad and nothing makes me happier. Mom loves riding too.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree. All my kids ride and wife too. 17yr old boy on a 14Xm 154. 14yr old boy on a 12 Pro Rmk. Wife and 14 year old daughter on a 13 and 14 XM 163s. Poor old dad on a Boosted 08 Nytro. The boys are getting pretty good already. My girl just started riding this year but her brothers took her under their wing and now she's doing great too. Love having the whole family out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol. tying to get the wife to ride too... slow progress. my 2 daughters 3 and 8 are out on the 340 together... a little more conservative than the boy... (the 3 year old in the calf sled usually but up in front learning the basics when she can and wants more!). I'm glad to see more dads are as proud as I am!

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rode with me years back before kids. She is just getting back into it Nd can't believe how the sleds have changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love this so much. My children are so much fun to ride with. The bigs are great mountain Riders, and hold their own, and the Littles simply have so much fun whether we are riding or I am playing chair lift for their skiing and boarding.
so wonderful.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am so bummed this winter, its been way too cold and windy around home to take my 4 yr old daughter riding and i was supposed to be taking her to crowsnest this weekend fo her first mountain ride but work got in the way.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started sledding with my dad when i was 11 years old and now 20 years later he is still my main riding partner. Over the years he has gone from being not only my dad but one of my best friends and mentor. Good on ya for starting your son young and getting him into this incredible sport.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started sledding with my dad when i was 11 years old and now 20 years later he is still my main riding partner. Over the years he has gone from being not only my dad but one of my best friends and mentor. Good on ya for starting your son young and getting him into this incredible sport.

I started taking my son out to the mountains when he was 8. Just riding in front of me. When he was 12 He rode his 99 670x out there and did great. at 15 he moved up to a 06 rev 800 151. This is when i realized I was in trouble. last year he got on an 09 xp and I was on a 12 etec and well The only place i stood a chance was in the trees. He is 18 now next trip we are taking his moms sled 12 M1100 lol well that what we tell her. haha and my XM. It should be interesting watching him on 220HP. He and his sister race MotoX in the summer so we spend alot of time together as a family. These sports arent cheep but they sure are awesome. He is actually racing in Saskatoon this weekend.

Last edited:

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many of my favorite days have been out with the kids. When we moved out of town and fresh snow fell, I'd hear "Mom, are we sledding tonight?" as we came in the driveway. The answer was always "Yes."

I love their excitement when they reach new abilities. I had a video on my screen of a rider carving, my daughter looked over my shoulder to ask who it was. I said "It's YOU!" She was giddy to see how cool she looked.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I am with you all the way. My daughter and I have a blast together. My Dad came out to Alberta last year and I got him on a sled, the three of us went out so I got to ride with my dad, dad got to ride with his son and grand daughter , daughter got to ride with her grandpa and dad. This will probably never happen again in our lifetime, it was a special day for all of us.
Today we are gearing up for the Elkford newbie/woman's ride with the Betties network. Making a weekend out of it. Have a hotel booked. It's going to be a blast!

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is awesome riding with your family.taking my 13 year old to valemont this weekend for the fisrt time.did this last year with my 15 year ld and she loved it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is awesome!

I have three MOST MEMORABLE rides. The first was a full moon night ride right from the house with my dad way back in 1972. The second was an exploration ride with my son in 2002 to a place we'd been looking at for years and finally found a route to. The third was May 30th 2011 with my daughter and my nephew....22 degrees and bluebird....4km's of gravel to get to the snow. Those 2 had the best time of their lives that day!

Both my kids have been riding with us since before they could walk. My son was on his own sled at 5....an Elan he and I rebuilt from the ground up. He was a far better rider than me by the time he was 15. My daughter was pretty small and took a few more years to get on her own sled. I wish she had more time these days to get out with me. A couple of my proudest (and scariest!) moments were the first time I watched my son do the only successful ascent of a chute called The Hurdle in Thunderstruck 7, and the first ascent of the Redbull chute in Followcam 2. He hadn't told me about the Hurdle ahead of time. Holy butt pucker! Wasn't ready for that! I was there for Redbull, which was awesome! Watched him bounce down a few since then. Kinda glad he dumped the turbo and switched to tree riding actually.

Enjoy your kids while you can. Before you know it you'll wonder where the time went. :(

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG-20120428-00017.jpg Speaking of riding with family. Here is a Pic from two years ago at Clemina Cabin. My Dad and His Twin brother of 72 yrs,their younger brother of 71 years,their oldest brother think maybe 80?,3 of my cousins,4 of their sons and Me and My youngest boy 12 at the time,(My eldest son was playing hockey and missed out). Was a first time ever we all got together sledding and had a blast!! 3 Generations and 3 provinces represented so a lot of bantering back and forth and a lot of great stories told and new ones made. Miss all these guys and hope we can do it all again. Tough getting everyone to get time off together and any time we can get the older generation together is a blessing! Thank my cousin Doug for putting it all together!!

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My now 10 yr old is on his third sled. He started ridin a AC120 at 4. He is now on a 2007 F5 with a 136" track with a 2" lug. He wants to go to Valemount with me now but his mom won't let him just yet. He loves sleddin more than anything and he wants his mom's M6 so he got to go to the mountains then cause he has a mountain sled. At least that is what he tells his mom.lol.. I love watchin him try different stuff on his new sled and seein the smile on his face when he is sucessful. The new sled is harder for him to throw around as it's a trail sled but he is gettin better every time out. Soon he will be able to outride me and his mom.

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I am with you all the way. My daughter and I have a blast together. My Dad came out to Alberta last year and I got him on a sled, the three of us went out so I got to ride with my dad, dad got to ride with his son and grand daughter , daughter got to ride with her grandpa and dad. This will probably never happen again in our lifetime, it was a special day for all of us.
Today we are gearing up for the Elkford newbie/woman's ride with the Betties network. Making a weekend out of it. Have a hotel booked. It's going to be a blast!

That would be great... my dads health is not so great in his old age (COPD) but when he see's my kids riding around he wants nothing more than to be out there with them. I'de love to ride with my dad as he did not grow up sledding but when he watch's it he know's he would enjoy it.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great story's I have my own with my kids, started them riding he was 5 and she was 7 . They started on 440ss then their was a 340 at 8 and 10 they were in the mountains with me. By then they were both on 500 phazers now my son has a m8 and my daughter ride's my m8 and I ride my s/c apex. At the beginning I would lead going in now I follow them in. My son and I do he most riding and we have 2 young guys we ride with and we have some great times.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son been riding with me since he was 6 now he 21 we still ride every winter together with my dad, myself and my son.This season I took a friend of mine and his son to mountains for first time and another friend son for his second trip there all hook on the mountains now.Its amassing how great it is riding with family and friends .Its a great sport after 41 yrs riding hope there another 30yrs to go i figure time i hit 80yrs old i might have had enough

Top Bottom