Riding on Wabamun

ridndirty

Reaction score
I was out on a lake yesterday, LOTS of water under the snow. Has anybody been out on Wabamun or Lake Isle? The lake I was on only had about a foot of snow, there must be water on our lakes with the amount of snow we have around here.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the lakes in the area are like that, i was out on johnnys lake and jackfish and they had like 4 inchs of water on the ice. I am sure but i imagine lake isle and alberta beach are the same.

mikey11

Reaction score
was riding on wabamun on sunday, headed west towards seba from ascot beach, only a few spots where there was water under the snow and on top of the ice, but there was also close to 2' of snow and along the shore close to the weed beds i was hitting some deep drifts as well. but it has been warm all week....

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty common with this much snow.

Wabamun does have some open spots though, no??... from the power plant... or that's what I have heard.

ridndirty

Reaction score
Wabamun power plant is done. The hot water from Sundance is supposed to be contained in canals that are seperate from the lake, from what I was told. Should'nt be any open water on Wabamun any more. Just wondering about water between the snow and ice.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep first time in 54 yrs, i think it is that the lake is totally frozen over.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most lakes not all usually have a bit of water between the ice and snow from the heat coming out of the water.the snow acts as a insulator and keeps the heat there melting some of the ice it doesnt mean the ice is open but its definetly a bad feeling to look back and see water in your track:rolleyes:

Beaver

Reaction score
The water on the lake is from the weight of the snow pushing the ice down and water is coming up trough the cracks in the ice

ridndirty

Reaction score
Trailseekers poker rally is going to run from the town of Wabamun, across the lake to the trail at Jackpine grazing reserve, and back again. I cant imagine how much of a pain in the hump it would be to have 90 sleds stuck in slush, all at the same time.

Top Bottom