Riding at the lake 4th addition !!!

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry I forgot, now that I'm going to be a Fort club member I better not leave that area out of my snow fall predition.
I'm thinking close to a couple of feet.
See u on the trails;)
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Good to be back, going home is great but, there's nothing like Alberta.
Now if you have been looking at my weather prediction and noticed I've been about a week out on the weather, not bad eh, now get your woolies out cause it's going to get coooold for the next 10 days.
The lake temp. is about 8 c so this will drop the temp to the freezing mark and then we can get on with winter.
The Snow Show is in a couple of weeks so if you don't have a wish list get out some paper and fill it out.

See you at the Snow Show
Don:)

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Check this site out if you have a few minutes to do some reading
GOOGLE (An Insiders Look At Trail Grooming)
I found it interesting
See you on the trails
PS- I tried to link it but it would't cooperate, if you guys know how to please make another thread with it on.
Thanks

Don

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
148.jpg Well I just have to do this every once and a while!!;)

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the lake on Sunday and rode the "trail" around the ball pit. This is BS that "trail is utter crap!" and why are they working so late at night, i though we were told weekdays only?

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well it seems the cold weather is right on schedule, all the small ponds in the area are frozen over and the little snow we have here is staying for at least another week. The lake has a little ice out from the edge in the morning which means the water temp. is falling fast. We are about three weeks ahead of the normal cold temps so the lake could freeze up a bit early this year.
On a side note, for those who enjoy a little out door exercise, I will be grooming cross country ski trails this year, the walking trail that parallels Long Lake Drive is not used in the winter time so I removed all the dead fall from it last weekend and it will make a good X country run. I will also groom down the lake shore from Blk 14 to Blk 1 to make it a 6 km loop.
I will have to build a track setter but there's lots of plans on the net. so it shouldn't be a problem. My phiso guy told me I need to keep the new knee working or it will sieze up and he recommended skiing. Good thing there is a few pop stops along the trail!!
See you on the trail
Don
Have a safe Halloween :i_need_snow::)

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Well we are all getting a little of the white stuff today, here at the lake it's looking like about three inches so far but the real surprise is the north end of the lake is totally frozen over. In thirty some years I have never seen the lake freeze over before the end of October. So what does that mean, best guess is that winter is here to stay, this is too early even for me.
See you on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hay Folks
So you thought I was nuts when I said we would be snowmobiling by the middle of November, we have a good 6 inches here at the lake and it just keeps coming down today. I was up in Wabasca and there is close to a foot in the bush there.
So the Lake is frozen over which is the worst thing that could happen to us right now, the snow will make it hard to freeze up and we will fight Top water all winter. But there is nothing we can do but be darn carefull.
See you on the trails
Don:)

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember how much snow was in the Calling Lake area from your trip to Wabasca?

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Well went down to the lake this morning, there is a couple inches of ice but the top water under the snow is about an in deep as well. I hope it gets warm enough in the next few days to knock the snow down an expose the top water so it will tighten up starting next week when it gets cold. The lake did open up in the big part so that will help freeze it safely next week.
There was a few out on their sleds this weekend, I'm sure they had a good time.
I was out on the X Country skis on friday, didn't brake anything but have a few sore body parts.
See you on the trails
Don :)

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Folks
We didn't get the big snow the city area got but thats ok I would like the cold first. We did get a few cm but that's it
See you on the trails
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hay Folks
First day of ice testing, 6 inches out in front of the beach, that's amazing for this time of the year, went about 100 meters out and it's all the same, should have 10 by next weekend
See you on the trails
Don:cool::i_need_snow:ok it's time!!

Last edited:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out doing some more testing on monday and the guys are ice fishing in the narrows, the perch they were catching are quite large, nice to see the lake so healthy again this year.
See you on the trails

When I test I don't go any where unless I test and find 6 inches or 15 cm
The( NWT Ice Construction guide 2007) says thats good for a sled and man, anyone travelling on ice should read that guide, just Google it and it will come up.
The next step I'm looking for is 20 cm or 8 inches and thats rated for around 1000kg
REmember if you don't see a 18 inches, or 45 cm of ice keep your pickup off the ice please
I use a cordless drill and a 1/2 inch wood auger bit, it cuts through the ice with little effort.

Don :i_need_snow:

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good the ice is getting thick, if no snow I wil go fishing.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks
It's been a couple of decades since I have gone for a ride in the middle of november here at the lake, we put 30 km on this afternoon and had a great time. The ice was tested to 7 inches today, measured from our beach to the approach on the far side of the lake.
See you on the trails
Don :cool:

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks
Started grooming today, the first few km are rough and we need more snow but it is a good start to the season.
The hunting season is on going at the Lake so if you are out in the forest be aware of the hunters around you.
See you on the trails
Don :i_need_snow::i_need_snow:

Top Bottom