Riding area exposure a good or bad thing?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I wish the police would set up a check stop to catch some of the morons but don't crucify the area or stereotype the people. I have pulled guys out that I don't even know, and would help anyone who is stuck. The area has some of the best riding in the world just a little harder to take because of the trail in and out. The last few years it hasn't been bad with the amount of snow we have had the groomer has had more to work with. The publicity really won't hurt.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem with Beaver creek and Powder king is coming back to your truck with your window smashed out and your sh!t stolen... I can ride Kakwa all day and leave my super clamps laying on my deck, when I come back and the end of the day they are still there.

They could be "all drunks out there" but at least they aren't druken theives!!!!

there are thieves everywhere. buddies have had lots of stuff stolen at kakwa.

as for windows smashed...leave your doors unlocked. been riding there for a few years, no smashed windows yet. take my valuables with me (wallet, cell). you cant stop a thief. if they want it, they will get it. id just rather not have it cost me $1000 bucks and a cold ass ride home.

still rather a window smashed than to be killed on the trail or walking in the parking lot to visit a buddy by some loser pissed idiot. i hear ya though....fackin thieves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowest did an issue highlighting Kakwa years ago and it never increased the amount of people coming to Kakwa, I wouldn't worry about bringing out some "Allstar".

If those "pro" guys are serious about coming to Kakwa in the future they would be better off coming in from the Mcbride side anyways. That way they could stay in a hotel in Mcbride and have a bunch of other areas to ride as a plan B if Kakwa didn't work out for them.

As far as the folks drinking and smoking it up... It may not be for you or me but those people are everywhere. To some driving all the way to the cabin just to get high/stoned/drunk then driving all the way back home may be the highlight of their week... I hardly see it because we are generally first ones in and last ones out.

you nailed it.

as for them being everywhere...absolutely. but far more drinking/drugs being that they know they have a warm place to stay at camp. ridden kakwa a few times, have buddies that have ridden there for years and years....they all say the same thing....its getting "BAD"

i wont beat a dead horse. hopefully tantrum and his pro have an epic ride without incident!! cheers to that!

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly I wish the police would set up a check stop to catch some of the morons but don't crucify the area or stereotype the people. I have pulled guys out that I don't even know, and would help anyone who is stuck. The area has some of the best riding in the world just a little harder to take because of the trail in and out. The last few years it hasn't been bad with the amount of snow we have had the groomer has had more to work with. The publicity really won't hurt.

agree on the policing!! right on the trail!! its one thing to have a beer or 2 through out an entire day but some of these mooks!!

snowho

Reaction score
I am putting my head on the chopping block but here we go anyway. One of the things I dislike about the sport is the fact that there is allot of secrets. Knowledge should be shared because it can help both the experienced and inexperienced. There are valid arguments that support each side and could be debated for an eternity with no resolution. Showing riding areas to rude people is not a good idea, but showing them to industry heavy weights is in my opinion. I guess this where the problem lies because giving good information to someone you do not know can be trouble even if they are known who are they telling. I am one of those optimistic idiots that still believes there is still hope for humanity and decent people do exist so weather it is a good fishing hole,secret hunting spot, great new sport climbing area I spill the beans and you never know maybe one day the knowledge given is returned.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never rode kakawa area before but am i reading this correctly?? you guys drive in 100km in the back bush, sled another 35-40 km to a "camp" and then ride? And to boot you spend the night out at these "camps"?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never rode kakawa area before but am i reading this correctly?? you guys drive in 100km in the back bush, sled another 35-40 km to a "camp" and then ride? And to boot you spend the night out at these "camps"?
lol...sort of. it's actually 160 kms on the two lakes rd to the staging area and campsite, then 40k or so of groomed trail, and then another 20 or more to get to the fun stuff. some of the camps are quite well equipped, dudes have hot tubs and all kinds of amenities....it ain't that bad but like I said, it takes a certain commitment to ride out there. once you're in the good stuff you forget all about the other part. 100 miles a day on the sled is pretty easy to do out there.

I'm by no means any regular Kakwa rider, but try to get there once a season. awesome riding area

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The little exposure you'll get from anyone coming up to enjoy a ride will be pretty minimal if any. Most spokesman or promoters are going to be talking about their products rather than where they just rode last weekend. It'd be different if it was a magazine editor but it's not.

If you really want to limit the exposure.... stop groomin g the d#mn trail. There will be a ton less exposure/closures/people/litter/drunk riders out in Kakwa if the trail wasn't groomed. There would be so many less asshats out there because they won't ride a bumpy trail. And that much more untouched pow pow for me.

But on the plus side it keeps all those asshats there and out of the other play areas that I'm starting to enjoy. The whole idea of camps used to be to beat the trail. Now it's "Let's make this as easy as we can so every newfie and his dog can have a camp out in Kakwa right side by side so we can all walk around drinking and camp hopping and we'll never have to even fire our rainblow wedges up"

The glory days of Kakwa are gone with bordertown. It still befuddles me why anyone would want a camp in the d@mn parking lot. You still have to ride the whole friggin trail smooth or not. Agh I hate Kakwa and the people there. You can keep them. We've been broke down, tow bumpers wrecked halfway back and watched 100-200 people sled by without stopping to help. Just last year I nose dived into a creek with just my girlfriend and I and a group of 12 people roll up, stop 30 meters away, watch me dig for 15 minutes then take off. The groomer brought out the best douchebags of GP into Kakwa.

Nope one little american that we don't even know his name isn't going to affect the douchebagness of Kakwa.

Completely agree here. I ride Kakwa alot but it's not by choice. For some unknown reason most of the guys I ride with don't want to go anywhere else but Kakwa so I don't have much choice but to go with the flow. I think the trail is the worst part of that place. There is just as good or better riding in other areas like Hasler, PK, Core with next to no trail to get in. I've had my share of cold days getting towed out of Kakwa. I need to hook up with some new firends to ride with

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a camp out there it is 165km to the camp. We ride 30miles of groomed trail in then we split off to some of the best riding in the world bar none. Yes it takes commitment but it is worth it. Most trips are close to 200km a day.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completely agree here. I ride Kakwa alot but it's not by choice. For some unknown reason most of the guys I ride with don't want to go anywhere else but Kakwa so I don't have much choice but to go with the flow. I think the trail is the worst part of that place. There is just as good or better riding in other areas like Hasler, PK, Core with next to no trail to get in. I've had my share of cold days getting towed out of Kakwa. I need to hook up with some new firends to ride with
I like the area, trails not great but having a groomed trail is pretty nice to teach newbies mountain riding, my intro was in hasler on a typical socked in cant see six feet in front of you day, not a great way to start. I like the areas over in bc but the weather makes riding a challenge at times, we ride core a lot for that reason, fairly easy to find riding even in the worst conditions, but I had some amazing days this season there and in beaver, this season red deer is on the list and bull moose, I usually have room for another sled everytime I go and post in the conditions forum unless I'm going to kakwa, not a big fan of crowding our camp

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the area, trails not great but having a groomed trail is pretty nice to teach newbies mountain riding, my intro was in hasler on a typical socked in cant see six feet in front of you day, not a great way to start. I like the areas over in bc but the weather makes riding a challenge at times, we ride core a lot for that reason, fairly easy to find riding even in the worst conditions, but I had some amazing days this season there and in beaver, this season red deer is on the list and bull moose, I usually have room for another sled everytime I go and post in the conditions forum unless I'm going to kakwa, not a big fan of crowding our camp

just took my cabin down in the deer. know the area very well. unfortunately with the cabin gone...i will be too. its just too far for a day ride and i was spoiled with my cabin..lol.

any of you fawkers wanna hook up to ride this year...shoot me a pm. we have a great group of guys, no loser piss riding, all northern bc. we hit pk/hassler/tumbler lots.

HCR800<3

Reaction score
The thing about Kakwa is that it's all volunteer work to keep it going. Yes, with more people in there we can profit more but it's the fact that we need volunteers out there to collect money and sell passes for our club. Everyone is willing to pay the fee to camp and the cost to be out there but no one wants to give 4 hours of their morning to sell passes at the bus. Because they are out there to ride and have a good time, not work. I personally don't think that it's a good idea to expose the area but I also don't think it's a bad idea. Although I do think those who think it's a good idea to get the area out and about should have the motivation to want to volunteer and fundraise for the club and attend monthly meetings.

The trail can be brutal yes, but there's always gonna be something about it right. If you don't want to beat yourself up on it you'll haul a camp in as far as you can and cut down on the trail BUT you have to pull a camp in and out on the trail. And haul your supplies in on the trail. It's a give a little to get a little situation and it's not for everyone. Those who disrespect what is going on out there don't understand those other people who grew up out there and now have Kakwa as a part of them. Personally it pains me to hear people talking down to Kakwa, if you don't like it don't go. And if you don't like it and you do go respect those of us who are doing what we can to keep the relationship we have with BC Parks and SRD.

And of course the biggest thing is the alcohol consumption. All you gotta do is control it, save it for when you get back to camp. One bad apple will eventually ruin the batch of good people we have out there. There's hundreds of different personalities out there to get along with but swallow your pride and get over it we are all out there for the solitude and escape of everyday life.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
G
Lol what's that supposed to mean? I have my own camp I'm not too worried about yours but hey if you're inviting me over for a good old fashioned wobbly pop I'm all in.
Always welcome for a beer, I was lippin timber that we wouldn't let him sleep in camp;) still haven't hauled in ours yet, just too busy, only made one trip out and snapped a helix, snow is fairly low this year so far so it's not overly appealing to teach my gf out there, hopefully it starts dumping

HCR800<3

Reaction score
G
Always welcome for a beer, I was lippin timber that we wouldn't let him sleep in camp;) still haven't hauled in ours yet, just too busy, only made one trip out and snapped a helix, snow is fairly low this year so far so it's not overly appealing to teach my gf out there, hopefully it starts dumping

The snow is pretty pitiful out there compared to this time last year. But you can get into places that have some powder. Meadows between Cecille and the cabin have some if you venture off the trail a little. I heard Flat Top has some on the way in but the cornice up there is threatening and not many people pushed their luck on it last weekend.

Top Bottom