Ride Smart Be Safe

8hundyx

Reaction score
Today at Bell we had a rider break off on his own and stuck. He had a walkie but had no idea where he was and it took a large group of us joining in on a 2 hour search to find him before dark. We then arrived at the parking lot to find two other riders went into an unfamiliar area with poor snow conditions and we're stuck after nightfall.
Please always ride with a friend or group. And please don't drop into areas you are not familiar with. Especially in poor snow and weather conditions.
It was awesome to see Mcbride Search And Rescue respond in 20 mins and gear up and head out in another 10. I hope those riders are found and safe and I'm sure they will be with an awesome team OF VOLUNTEERS heading up to find them.
PLEASE EVERYONE RIDE SMART RIDE SAFE

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That one rider was with our group. Unfamiliar with the area and poor vis. And he took a poke up big belle. Didn't tell us where he was going. Couldn't describe to us where he was. A learning experience for him. Thanks to the two guys that found him.

Has anyone heard if search and Rescue found those other two guys. I talked with the RCMP a bit in the parking lot when we came down around 6 pm.

Wouldn't mind an update. Be good to Know that they are safe.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That one rider was with our group. Unfamiliar with the area and poor vis. And he took a poke up big belle. Didn't tell us where he was going. Couldn't describe to us where he was. A learning experience for him. Thanks to the two guys that found him.

Has anyone heard if search and Rescue found those other two guys. I talked with the RCMP a bit in the parking lot when we came down around 6 pm.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be a few people getting stuck late in the day on bell including myself and my riding buddy... huge thanks to RXN and a group of other guys that took the time to help out and make sure everyone was out...

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com

Has anyone heard if search and Rescue found those other two guys. I talked with the RCMP a bit in the parking lot when we came down around 6

All is good. Everyone is out and no injuries. They just needed a bit of extra help to get out of the spot they were in. Our SAR sledders are the best.

Dlo

Reaction score
I was one of the patrons stuck down at bell, rescue found us after dark all was good dropped into an area not ready for sleds yet was deeeeep and tons of trees, thx to rescue for showing us the way outt!! Kno your terrain, pack for an overnige stay you neverr knooo!!

Reactions: RXN

jerrydecoy

Reaction score
Today at Bell we had a rider break off on his own and stuck. He had a walkie but had no idea where he was and it took a large group of us joining in on a 2 hour search to find him before dark. We then arrived at the parking lot to find two other riders went into an unfamiliar area with poor snow conditions and we're stuck after nightfall.
Please always ride with a friend or group. And please don't drop into areas you are not familiar with. Especially in poor snow and weather conditions.
It was awesome to see Mcbride Search And Rescue respond in 20 mins and gear up and head out in another 10. I hope those riders are found and safe and I'm sure they will be with an awesome team OF VOLUNTEERS heading up to find them.
PLEASE EVERYONE RIDE SMART RIDE SAFE

Everyone in our group has gps radios just for that reason. It's too easy for someone to get separated and not always easy to find em'. Glad everyone made it back safe!

Sent from my iPad using

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those GPS radios are the way to go. I have two of those Rhino 120 buddy finders. The guy I ride with is looking to buy one as well. For now he has a set of walkies. Which he lends others that don't have. They can help as long as you can describe where you are. Stuck on a hill near a tree doesn't help us.

But with the GPS push of a button and we know where you are.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was one of the patrons stuck down at bell, rescue found us after dark all was good dropped into an area not ready for sleds yet was deeeeep and tons of trees, thx to rescue for showing us the way outt!! Kno your terrain, pack for an overnige stay you neverr knooo!!

Glad you guys are out and okay.

Pretty late night?

Dlo

Reaction score
We drove our sleds out, was bit of a mission, we were back at the trucks by 10 pm!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay. So it wasn't a late late night. Still late enough.
You guys dropped the side of Little Belle towards the meadows?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you dropped down into the burn...was there last weekend and knew better then to go down there with that much snow. It can be a tough climb back out. Not even the guy in our group with the T3 wanted to go down there. Would spend all day getting back up to the cabin. Even the creek between big and little Bell was a decent climb out. Ride safe!

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are three skidder trails that run parallel at different levels along the burn. These trails will take you back to the main trail or cabin. When the snow gets good so you can ride down there properly go find these trails and follow them. It really helps in understanding the layout of the area.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are three skidder trails that run parallel at different levels along the burn. These trails will take you back to the main trail or cabin. When the snow gets good so you can ride down there properly go find these trails and follow them. It really helps in understanding the layout of the area.

Thank you for the information. i will be sure to investigate this when mother nature gives me the chance

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes the old burn area. My first encounter with that chewed up my whole day trying to get back out. Lol. Glad to hear everybody is gonna ride again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. i will be sure to investigate this when mother nature gives me the chance

X2 thank for the info! That makes sense now, I think I know where one of them connects back to the main trail. Will check this out next time around!

Dlo

Reaction score
Exactly wher we dropped into the burn trying to find the measows, was a misssion to get outta ther, wuldnt suggest for another few weeks,

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't gone down there before it can look very intimidating! But it's actually very easy to ride if you like that kind of riding. It is for above average riders, i like to start at the trail and ride thru the trees/burn around the whole perimeter, the best snow is always there.

Top Bottom