Ride Rasmussen Style Riding Clinic...... 2012

• Thread starter ASEMotorsportsTyler
  • Start date

Where would you like to see this clinic held?

• Total voters

Thunder101

Reaction score
LOL from the out side, when it come down to big dollars you have to deliver and be prepared to deliver. That is just the way it is. sorry if I offended just know what peeps expect.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow. first off i want to say my 2 days with rasmussen were amazing. friggn cold but we made it work. i thought it was well organized meals at the same time every day and on the hill at the same time every day. i watched new mountain riders gain confidence and become very comfortable in the backcountry. bret turned a young guy from a first time mountain rider into someone who would ride circles around most on here. truly amazing to witness this. i beleive everyone in the group i was in truly enjoyed themselves but please let me know if you think otherwise. everyone came out of it a better rider. now with that said bret made a poor choice as a guide and a teacher for the second group. i was not there but either way you paid money for this gig something needs to happen. again thanks to bret and tyler from ase. had a blast.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whether or not it was a good experience or not for some people..... Where's all the pics from this trip? lol.

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All it takes on here to have two different accounts is two different emails. Anyone can do it. Just saying. Well enough of this. Time to go ridding. Maxwell glad to here your group had a great trip. I wish we could have had you here in our group as a guide then this could all have been avoided.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was considering to go to this clinic this year, but hearing about the experiance and that it was still held during the extreme temps makes me wonder, if group safety or consideration was considered. I would of been pizzed if I was in that group and that happened, and defiantly would be looking for a refund. He was getting 750 a peep? Call a chopper and ride another sled.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bad deal guys sorry to hear.... maybe its something in Colorado!!!! like Burandt screwing me when I bought his M8 turbo??? he took my 15 grand usd said oh yah it needs tuning fawk $2500 later with Linderman and still couldnt get it to work right,, had cracks exhaust leaks EGT's were gone,, so brutal

hmmmmm I wounder

that whole thing should have been canceled 5 days in advance knowing it was -30 thats bull chit for sure

I guess its about money in the united states not saying these guys arent nice to everyones face but they just want your buck!! the lady at TIMS is nice to me too!!!

I say u deserve refund hillclimb10 and others who didnt even ride with him...... and ya just grab another sled like really a rescue mission on a clinic that is stupid plain stupid.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in for the next time you put this on Tyler. I had a good time. No matter what anybody says any day sledding in the mountains is better than a good day at work!

yes it is but the point being made at $350 a day a person should get something??

Everyone means well but it sounds like some poor execution ya know..... its just business it happens but they chose to take the money route instead of happy customer service,,,at -30 everyone should of had the option to bail

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we rode the same days of the clinic tuesday and wednesday and it was cold but it was that bad if a guy dressed right the worst part of the day was the trail ... i i know that when riding in the trees there is no way you can tell me you werent sweating... unless i am in way worse shape but when i get stuck it dont take long and im warm so i figure on cold days like last week do lines your not sure you will make get stuck if it doesnt make you a better rider it will at least keep ya warm !!

Dragin

Reaction score
when's the next ch!t show...lol..
on a serious note,Jan. is always that time of year when the weather can get cold and nasty.Why wouldn't they look more into March when the weather is usually more stable and alot more daylight...

Mostly because Brett's schedule is very full and it's next to impossible to get him to come this far north at that time of year.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mostly because Brett's schedule is very full and it's next to impossible to get him to come this far north at that time of year.

you might be right,but if he's providing a service and u have him booked well in advance would it matter?If it cost more money to get him that time of the year,how much,and im sure guys would pay $150-$200 more to have decent weather by meaning decent anything from 0 to-15c is reasonable,longer daylight.This way Bret could have more 1 on 1 time...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about some of the negative experiences on the clinic. I wasn't able to go due to work restraints (just like last year), but I'm hoping they put a clinic on again that I can actually attend. I've never ridden with Rasmussen, but I'm betting that it would be worth the money - even if I only picked up a trick or two.
As far as the sled breakdown - it happens. I've went riding in the past where buddies sled made it 7km up the trail (a brand new machine), and I didn't bat an eye - we recovered the machine and drove home, never even made it into the alpine that weekend. You cannot control the weather, and sometimes sh*t happens. Maybe doesn't take the sting away of paying for a course that you didn't attend, but as sledders, we all know that murphy's law is often in full force.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys ride in -30 and colder. Guess i'm a fair weather sledder. Chit (especially metal) gets pretty brittle after -30 so it's not surprising a chain went. We were running -30 or so up here last week (-40 with the wind) and most of the loggers shut er down for a week with warmer weather coming...not worth the breakdowns. If you are going out in that cold running high horsepower sleds and torquing on em i think you should almost expect a breakdown so be prepared for it.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about some of the negative experiences on the clinic. I wasn't able to go due to work restraints (just like last year), but I'm hoping they put a clinic on again that I can actually attend. I've never ridden with Rasmussen, but I'm betting that it would be worth the money - even if I only picked up a trick or two.
As far as the sled breakdown - it happens. I've went riding in the past where buddies sled made it 7km up the trail (a brand new machine), and I didn't bat an eye - we recovered the machine and drove home, never even made it into the alpine that weekend. You cannot control the weather, and sometimes sh*t happens. Maybe doesn't take the sting away of paying for a course that you didn't attend, but as sledders, we all know that murphy's law is often in full force.

I don't understand why Rasmussen didn't use one of his spare sleds- he hauls a ginormous trailer with 3 or more of his sleds in it... If you pay $750 + lodging for instruction time with a pro, there should be instruction time; especially if he is determined to go ahead with the clinic in spite of such inhumane temperatures. If I'm out in that cold risking my life and my machine, I better well be getting what I paid for... I think these guys have a valid complaint. I am curious if Bret knows about the issues being expressed on here though- he is a very down to earth guy with alot of integrity and I believe he would try (alot harder than Tyler has) to rectify the situation. I could be wrong, but my experience leads me to believe that Rasmussen is about more than just making a buck. Hope these boys get some resolution, and soon.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the answer is to all this is but I definitely feel there should be a refund of some type. Maybe a half day refund?. We chose not to ride the first day because at -36c in the morning and not warming up until after 1pm in the afternoon to -29c we felt it was not safe to ride- safe for us or sleds. There were more negatives than positives than taking the chance. We decided that with it warming up Friday that was a better decision to sacrifice one day and go for the final day. We were actually very surprised that the decision was made to go out the first day in the conditions given. Another friend that was with us decided to go ride the first day anyways. He met the group at the lodge at just after 12 pm. They went out to the Allan parking lot. He said they had a -drivers meeting- and then up the trail they went. That was the last time he saw Bret. He was towards the back of the group heading up. They went into the trees around mile 5. Once in the trees he did not see anyone else. He rode the trees pretty much by himself and then landed up with his sled stuck in a tree well for about an hour and a half. He landed up digging a platform and was able to get himself out. In these temperatures what if he had broke a leg or arm? It pisses me off even thinking of this. When he told us this story when he made it to the hotel I chewed him out for going because when he left in the morning we tried telling him it was a bad choice. Anyways day 2 went as I had posted before. Tyler, I really hope you contact me to discuss this and make this right. You have my cell number from when I registered. Or PM me.Warren

A

ASEMotorsportsTyler

Ok before this turns bad lets get a few things straight! When I start to plan things several months in advance I can not determine the weather As i am not god! As for accommodations I sub that out to places that say they fit he needs of the event. When Bret travels 12 plus hrs to teach a clinic it's almost impossible to cancel. To actually book him takes weeks of planning and millions of emails to get a date set in stone. Now for the exact story of the 2nd clinic. We all woke thursday morning to -36 myself made the decision to not ride the morning as it was to cold! We waited till noon and I let the group make the decision if they wanted to ride in that temp(they decided to go) only one of the 3 peeps from sask actually showed up as they others said it was to cold and one who was not actually signed up and just showed up was sick(that's not my fault). We went up allen as it the shortest trail ride.I did have a local lined up for that day but because of the cold he was unable to make it (i again informed the group of this). I let Bret lead as he knew where we we needed to be he had it saved in his gps. I followed up at the back of the pack as we had a few late arrivals and 2 people's sleds over heated on the trail. We all met at approx km mark 7 where we would start our journey into the trees. Bret started in 1st and I wasn't able to stop him befor he made a simple mistake of turning left where we needed to turn right as again I was helping a student get unstuck. When I arrived to the chain of stopped sleds I jetted up front and side billed into where a few people were stuck I asked the rest of the people to turn around as this was the wrong place to be. Only 4 listened and the rest ventured deeper in! I am not sure why? I turned around and went to help Bret's cousin who wa stuck that nobody helped out. We got out and went to the top of the meadow where I had asked people to stop and wait nobody a there! So I spent the next 15 plus minuted looking for the 4. After re grouping them me and Brian ( brets cousin) decided to walk into the trees where the 6 people who I asked to follow my track out didn't listen were. We got down to this area and found 6 people stuck. We 1 by 1 got all clients sleds out most drove out a few needed a little rope help. The whole time we were in radio contact with bret as he kept trying to to find a way to ride out! After a few more minutes we got a message from Bret that he has landed on a nice level spot but doesn't see a way out as it was way to steep. We walked down to him and seen the pickle he got himself in. He decided to leave his sled over night and get it in the morning. I admit wasn't the best day but could have been better if there was some lstening being done we spent zero time on brets sled. Next morning we woke up earlier and got on hill earlier everyone knows that the its easier to ride a sled out one the track was set overnight. The plan was to get the group to the meadow and quickly rundown and get his sled out honestly should not have been more that 45mins we arrived to the sled and he warmed it up attempted to make the 1st pull out and bang his chain snaps! We radio'd up and notified the group of another bad event. I sent Bret up to got teach on my sled while I fixed his sled and my good buddy(who paid full price)ran down and ripped the chain out of my spare. Me and brain along with jake(who I would like to xpress a huge thank you to) sat in the trees shoveling about a 1500 ft shelf so it was easier to get the sled out. We were down there while he was up with the Peeps for several hours. The group who seem to have he biggest problem with this asked to be driven out befor Bret was able to get there (within the 1st hr of ride). Once again ur choice to leave he was there and there with all of u for several hours riding. And I know he helped several of u! We got the new chain in and sled fixed by 2 befor it started snowing and he ripped it straight out in 10 mins. All of u have left already.Now I ask u what if that was one of u who got into a tight spot should we have left you? Or told you to go get ur spare? I can guarantee you he and my-self would have been the 1st to help u out. If your mentality is to leave someone or someone's sled behind that is a horrible way to be in the backcontry.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris Brown why don't you stop being a douche and liking every post that is a negative to this situation. I figured as a fellow and a pro you'd be a bit more understanding to this kind of situation. But I guess ur style is to kick a person while there down!

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask to be driven out? Are you kidding me? One of our friends with us did not feel comfortable with the area we had been instructed to drop into. I personally helped him back up to the trail and at no time asked for anyone to hold my hand. we sat up top for over an hour, hillclimb10 came back up to the trail as he had been driving around this side hill and had not seen anyone from the clinic. I said I am taking Doug to the cabin to wait. He dropped back down in and finally found "instructor Buddy" and told him this was a joke and that we were going riding as we did not want to lose the day waiting to see if Bret got his sled out(5 people had already gone down to help Bret with his broke sled) so we did not abandon anyone. Glad to hear the rest of the group got in 3 hrs of quality instruction. Who was left in this group? Because when we came down three other trucks from the school had already left? Just sayin..............

Top Bottom