REV XP Nitrous Kits

zeeberg7

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what I can do for more power. I have decided that a shot of Nitrous would be pretty awesome. Just wondering if anyone is running nitrous on there machine and how tuneable it is. I understand that I will need to play with my clutching a bit as well, but definately want that shot of ponies for some good pulls! Any help would be great!! What Kits are best?? how easy are they to install?? So far I have only seen the boondocker kit, it looks simple enough but is it as user friendly as it sounds. Thanks Guys.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boondocker all the way. fairly simple install.

love the power. its awesome.

shoudlnt have to deal with clutching to much. just get some quick clickers so you can adjust on the fly because depending on the snow conditions you might be bouncing off the rev limiter.

also for safety add a couple liters of race fuel. c-111.

zgrizz

Reaction score
Was thinking about doing ot myself, but after some research, and a lot thinkin about it, and talking to a lot of people, I would rather have a continuous power as opposed to a once in a while shot, that you will have to fill every time you go out.
Heard clutching is a bit tricky but manageable, trick is to use the nos when you get in trouble and start dropping the rpms, the nos will bring you back up, until you run dry.
One oth ethe guys in our group is going to try it this year, so it should be interesting.
Im going the head/ bondi air box route this year, and if I like it will probably end up with a BB.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call, I ride with 3 guys that had nitrous at one time and just didn't like the hassle of filling and packing around bottles, also they seemed dissapointed in the power that it did provide.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think there is something wrong with there system if they were going through more than one bottle a day and didnt like the power......

im hard on my rev all day on the button and it pulls redicuolously hard and i never go through more than a bottle.

run it on like 5 sleds.

as far as using it when you start dropping rpms......your sled should not drop rpms.

its an extra 20-50hp and an extra 500-800rpm that speeds your sled up. you use it at the bottom of the hill to gain the most speed into your cliimb or during the top or halfway or the whole time. whichever works for you.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will a nitrous kit off of an 07 800r rev work for an xp 800r or is the system different. i kno ill have to make my own brackets to mount in and such but is it bassicaly the same system?
has anyone done this?

for tuning instructions goto boondockers.com, they take your through it step by step and make it super easy to tune

Last edited:

zgrizz

Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong maxwell, but if your sled is already pushing max revs, pushing the button isnt going to do squat. Thats why clutching is essential and tricky with the NOS, because you have to run lower rpm's just so you have the room for your rpms to jump when you push the button?
With regargs to useage, Ive run with guys that are filling their tanks daily! Just my theory, but that extra $20 a day on Nos adds up quickly and could be spent on a more consistant HP.
hey dont get me wrong though, always wanted to try it myself, but just from personal experiences, and talking to guys that have had it, have been told to try a different route. For the price in their opinion wasnt worth it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah im not saying that you "shouldnt" clutch your sled for nitrous. its just the fact that like you mention its not HP thats there all the time so if you clutch your sled for the nitrous injection then the sled will not run correctly the other 80% of the time your not on the button. which is why we dial them in to run perfect off the button. yes you can mess around for days and get a setup that will work well for both applications but we dont all have time to do that. there are many principles behind clutching for nitrous. but i havent found the need to try it. for example my 800HO is rated for 7850 i run at 8000tach. hit the nitrous and it pulls to 85-8600rpm. that extra 40hp and 500rpm allows the clutches to shift into a higher ratio to propell the sled at a higher rate of speed. im not here to sell boondocker kits i just know what ive installed and know what ive seen on the hill and it works. (for me) ive done weeks and weeks of testing and comparing and im always impressed with the results. last season we installed a boondocker system on a stock 151 800HO. did some side by side testing against a 2008revxp with 154 and same weight of rider. the 800HO would climb to below the xps mark and before we lost ground speed we would hit the nitrous and it would go at least 30-40% higher consistantly. not to mention it felt like driving a rocket ship. the only thing i have noticed is that in deep powder conditions the nitrous isnt going to make a huge differance. sure it helps. and if you can use it when you are crossing someone elses track or get a chance to hook up it really works. but in deep deep powder the extra bit of track speed doesnt help all that much. i also agree with you about the cost. yes i go through a bottle a day at 20-30$. and yes it adds up big time. but everyone talks about buying consistent horsepower instead. well for us doo guys there isnt any consistant horsepower. pipe? reeds? maybe 2-3hp? a bigbore sure would be the only consistant hp you will get. but thats a big price tag aswell. nitrous is a consistant HP for the duration its used and if working properly it will get the highmark with a comparable sled. can get you out of trouble or into more trouble.works for some doesnt for others. works for me and hasnt let me down. but thats just me :D

zeeberg7

Reaction score
Amazing information Guys!! Thanks a lot. So how would I clutch my XP then?? I would have it set for top HP RPM, approximately 8175Rpm, then when I hit the button it will shoot me to 8675rpm?? I guess I would want to have it set so that when I hit the button, it brings me in just below the rev limiter.

Also, would Octane boost work instead of buying c-111?

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
octane boost in the is a lie. they say they'll raise your octane by 6 to 7 points its actually .6 to .7 points, the only way to get higher octane is buy quality fuels and mix

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I think that is the key...NOS is to get you that little extra boost when you need it. If your looking for more power all the time you would be better to go to a 830 kit (or something like that). A burst of power when it is needed...that's the ticket.

nitrous is a consistant HP for the duration its used and if working properly it will get the highmark with a comparable sled. can get you out of trouble or into more trouble.

zeeberg7

Reaction score
True! I like my Doo for everything, and the odd time I am poking at a hill I will be able to get a little bit better of a highmark. I think it will be the best thing to do. I ride many different places, and if I were to turbo or Big Bore i think it would be a waste of time. for the 2-3 trips i do to the hills in a year that shot of Nitrous should be my best bang for my buck. Doo better come out with EFI on there 800's Soon!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amazing information Guys!! Thanks a lot. So how would I clutch my XP then?? I would have it set for top HP RPM, approximately 8175Rpm, then when I hit the button it will shoot me to 8675rpm?? I guess I would want to have it set so that when I hit the button, it brings me in just below the rev limiter.

Also, would Octane boost work instead of buying c-111?

that is correct. except i would have it run around 8000/8100 tach then just below the rev limiter on the button.

you should be able to accomplish this by simply adjusting your clickers.

also octane boost would not work add 2 liters of good race fuel to every tank and you should be safe to run up to a 30hp shot. add about 4l+ if you want to run 30-50. those are just my personal perferances

zeeberg7

Reaction score
Sounds great! I am glad you said something about race fuel mix, i would have never thought of that. This will be a fun upgrade. It seems alot easier than I would have imagined, I always thought Nitrous meant blown engines and empy wallets. now it doesn't seem so bad.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
after reading some of this I kinda of have to disagree
I haven't seen a 20 -50 shot of nitrous give up to 800rpm gain. ain't happening, pipes aren't designed to rev like that from a base point if there is some load on a motor, clutching must be way off.
I have ran nitrous on my sleds since it became popular back in 03?
a boondocker kit on one sled 30 hp shot of nitrous made a 150-200 rpm gain but felt like 15hp?
I run a 50-60 hp wet shot on my 1150 and it gains 300-400 rpm from 7900-8200+ a bit.
The issue I find with boondocker kits on the newer skidoos is with the dpm altitude compensator, boondocker systems add pressure to the float bowls to push extra fuel thru the main jet, on higher hp nitrous outputs(30hp+) I found it runs leans (popping) because the dpm doesn't let the pressure build up enough? just what i found, so had to set up differently. I perfer a wet system where you can control the fuel and nitrous amounts more accurately.
For doo guys there is consistant power, Our billit head kits and porting with airbox mods work very well, and are a good improvement over stock, we also have the dual ring cast pistons for the 800HO motors. The big bore kits we make work very well and are made for hard accellerating power. Port timing set up for elevation rding in BC area. consistant all the time. Set up to run pump gas, we do have race gas set ups.

heres a 1150 twin/200hp with 60 hp shot of nitrous coming off the line. won the open mod class and the king of the day class. snow drags.

Attachments

• iq launch 2.jpg
    iq launch 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

zeeberg7

Reaction score
So I am only looking at a maximum of 200RPM gain, and it only feels like 15hp?

I am thinking that I am going to get alot of varied answers to this question, as everyone will have a different clutching setup and everyone will tune there machine differently. I also think that Altitude would play a big role in how much a person can get out of there shot of nitrous at elevation. Right?

Top Bottom