Active VIP Member
Reaction score

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
prices like that make me wonder... why?

worth taking a look in my opinion

look for the following:

-Chaincase rivert where it meets cast module, very fragile and typically breaks on any hit (rivet is near where you adjust your chain)
-Look at both modules for cracks/bends in the castings
-If the front end has been done you will see bolts, very few have access to a rivet gun the do huck rivets
-Check to make sure the rivets are black and belly pan and gaps look correct
-Do both sides of the side panels fit the same
-Are the skis inline with each (easy to set one back 1" and tweak a chassis)
-Check the spindle angles make sure there the same
-Do a compression test, 150ish and your good to go
-Wear and tear, well thats your call cause its your standards.

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worth taking a look in my opinion

look for the following:

-Chaincase rivert where it meets cast module, very fragile and typically breaks on any hit (rivet is near where you adjust your chain)
-Look at both modules for cracks/bends in the castings
-If the front end has been done you will see bolts, very few have access to a rivet gun the do huck rivets
-Check to make sure the rivets are black and belly pan and gaps look correct
-Do both sides of the side panels fit the same
-Are the skis inline with each (easy to set one back 1" and tweak a chassis)
-Check the spindle angles make sure there the same
-Do a compression test, 150ish and your good to go
-Wear and tear, well thats your call cause its your standards.
i always ask what oil and gas they use to, if i see something that looks out of place like bolts instead of rivets i ask if it was damaged in anyway, if they say no i point it out usually a red flag when someone doesn't mention a tree incident and there's a few missing pieces...

still not the right time for me sadly, i'd love to go look at it tomorrow, but it's just not gonna happen. :( priorities suck. May, June is when i'll be able to start shopping. till then i'll just go back to drooling over maxwell's buddies.... :d

Last edited:

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go e tec. there so smooth

i'm gonna give it a year or so still, don't get me wrong if it stays as solid, i'll be all over one. i just wanna see some real long term results first. first impression, one of the best 800's. just skeptical if it'll last.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres my take,

I grew up around polaris's and for some reason always rebelled and bought skidoo's. Im a smaller guy 5'10 - 150-160 so i needed a sled that was easier for me to toss around in the trees.
I had a 2002 zx summit x with a 159 track and that thing was a boat for me to toss around. not all that powerfull so i sold it.

I had a 2006 rev 144 and i loved that sled, I could toss it around pretty easily and the power was pretty damn good. Had some issues with melting a piston or two but that was after alot of km's.

I traded that for a 2008 xp 154 summit, straight off the showroom floor i took it to valemount and found that it was hard as hell for me to turn the damn thing and hold it sidehilling. I disconnected the sway bars and walla.. much easier and it wasnt all that snakey on the hard pack trails. I like to jump my sleds and hands down i find the xp to be more predictable along with a lighter feeling from take off to landing NIGHT AND DAY from the rev.

As mentioned before, the foot placement on the xp and seat design is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the rev ( thanks maxwell ) especially for a smaller guy like myself. I added 10" risers "im a stand up style rider" and placed them almost inline with the steering post along with that i installed a two wheel kit, I have no issues chopping donuts "when the snow is deep enough". Power wise between the rev / xp is pretty simular, its just alot more fun to be able to use that power while being comfortable and not bagged out at the end of the ride. I find the xp is more rider friendly and more forgiving.

I know a lot of yammering about stuff but thats my simple minded take on riding the previous summits chassis.:d:beer:

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres my take,

I grew up around polaris's and for some reason always rebelled and bought skidoo's. Im a smaller guy 5'10 - 150-160 so i needed a sled that was easier for me to toss around in the trees.
I had a 2002 zx summit x with a 159 track and that thing was a boat for me to toss around. not all that powerfull so i sold it.

I had a 2006 rev 144 and i loved that sled, I could toss it around pretty easily and the power was pretty damn good. Had some issues with melting a piston or two but that was after alot of km's.

I traded that for a 2008 xp 154 summit, straight off the showroom floor i took it to valemount and found that it was hard as hell for me to turn the damn thing and hold it sidehilling. I disconnected the sway bars and walla.. much easier and it wasnt all that snakey on the hard pack trails. I like to jump my sleds and hands down i find the xp to be more predictable along with a lighter feeling from take off to landing NIGHT AND DAY from the rev.

As mentioned before, the foot placement on the xp and seat design is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the rev ( thanks maxwell ) especially for a smaller guy like myself. I added 10" risers "im a stand up style rider" and placed them almost inline with the steering post along with that i installed a two wheel kit, I have no issues chopping donuts "when the snow is deep enough". Power wise between the rev / xp is pretty simular, its just alot more fun to be able to use that power while being comfortable and not bagged out at the end of the ride. I find the xp is more rider friendly and more forgiving.

I know a lot of yammering about stuff but thats my simple minded take on riding the previous summits chassis.:d:beer:

this is exactly why i asked this question! thank you very much. :beer::beer:

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not ready to go to an etec yet, i think there's still some bugs lurking. i'm thinking 13's the lucky number? ;)

seems to be a damn sexy one in classifieds :d i hope it doesn't sell so i can buy it :d but at the same time i hope it does sell... :eek:

Buy mine.

ps did you not read the first post? no one cares about your pro.

looks like a awasome deal to me for 6500, hell extra thousand gets you all your safety gear.... just my :twocents::twocents:

2008 Summit X 800XP - $6500obo - Calgary Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

That's an unreal deal, I'd buy it up in a heart beat.

m7 carver

Reaction score
Yeah and what do you get in a xp for 6500? a sled that has been rat bagged to $#!T that has 3000km and is gonna need a rebuild after your first trip to the mountains. :twocents:
i think the bottom end on the xps are kind of week
2 of my riding buddies each had one and they both needed new motors
the 2009 blew a chunk out of the crankcase and the 2008 was on its way to doing the same thing

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't do it ... keep your rev forever... look below in my info....

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thoroughly ENJOY riding my buffalo thank you very much!:d
I can see where your coming from as they feel much wider and bigger than the rev. Spend one solid day on an xp, you wont go back. They are comfier to sit on, stand on, and do ANYTHING else. The rev is easier to lay over stock, but a few minor adjustments and the xp isnt much different!
Have had a LOT of seat time on both over the years and honestly when I get on my old mans 06rev I feel like im getting on a kiddie sled. Dont get me wrong, the rev still shreds it just has hard as the xp. But the xp is so MUCH comfier to do it on!:d:beer::d

Just my :twocents:

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had an 04 rev and loved the sled. I had the sway bar removed and thought it rode great on the trails, liked the power and I felt comfortable carving sidehilling etc on it . Have a 09 Xp now and I find it to be a better overall sled. In the deeper snow I definately notice a difference in power. The xp climbs and holds the power better. Both sleds stock.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had an 04, 05, and 07 Rev...now an 09 XP. The XP is much smoother and easier on the body at the end of the day. Like ANY sled it needs to be set up for the rider, but after it's set up...awesome. You know it's stable when you are on a full throttle side-hill climb in the pow, and you can casually reach down with your left hand to brush snow off the guages to read your RPM/speed....do it all the time. It is your feet position that steers the sled.

And yes...bumpers are weak. I run this one :

boogs

Reaction score
i also made the upgrade from a 06 rev to a 09 xp 154. I havent looked back this thing is great, xp to me feels like im in way better control than i did on the rev, little bit of seat time and you'll fall in love with it over the rev. For handling you get what you pay for on the xp's. i have found 08/09, harder to turn throw around from the 2010's to me the 2010's were night and day difference. havent got to jump on a 11 yet but with that being said the 08/09's still handle fine great sleds and wouldnt even have it cross my mind to go back to a rev.
:d

Top Bottom