REV A-arm bushings...help a newbie?

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day gents and ladies.

Just this past weekend I picked up a new (to me) '04 Summit. I rode it all weekend and was pretty surprised with the amount of "darting" it was doing.

So, I got online to do some research and have found that the stock A-arm bushings on these machines are cheap junk and mine are more than likely shot (causing some of these poor handling issues).

There's a few guys out there selling brass replacement bushings, some guys swearing by the 440 model factory bushings and some others yet who are saying SKF has the cheapest/best replacements available (but nobody seems to know the PN#??)

So, what would all the Doo experts on S&M suggest I do? Do you guys know of any Canadian distributors for these higher quality bushings? Or the SKF part number and I can get them through work?

thanks!

rev.JPG

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day gents and ladies.

Just this past weekend I picked up a new (to me) '04 Summit. I rode it all weekend and was pretty surprised with the amount of "darting" it was doing.

So, I got online to do some research and have found that the stock A-arm bushings on these machines are cheap junk and mine are more than likely shot (causing some of these poor handling issues).

There's a few guys out there selling brass replacement bushings, some guys swearing by the 440 model factory bushings and some others yet who are saying SKF has the cheapest/best replacements available (but nobody seems to know the PN#??)

So, what would all the Doo experts on S&M suggest I do? Do you guys know of any Canadian distributors for these higher quality bushings? Or the SKF part number and I can get them through work?

thanks!

View attachment 147646
only bushings I replaced on my 06 were the ski bushings (pretty much every year) Just used stock. A arm bushing still good when I sold it at 6500 or so Km. Stock skis on those '04's were junk though, if you could find some pilot 6.9's from an 06 they are way better.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good chance your ski's are causing the darting. Try finding a pair of pilot 6.9's and your darting issue should be solved.

Billy Boy:cool:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
highly doubt its the bushings doing this. but you could replace them anyways. typically darting is a direct result of snow conditions,ski/carbide combination and ski alignment.

my brand new sleds dart slightly on a freshly groomed trail with a few ski tracks in it. not as bad as my worn out 2010 that didnt do it when it was new. now i can barely keep control of it. skis and carbides are worn out and i bet the skis need alignment aswell. would probly fix my issue which sounds similar to yours. i agree with the above posts try and track down a newer set of skis with a good set of carbides on them,

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll look into some new skis, as well as check my bushings before I buy replacement ones.

Te snow was really crusty (warm tempts) so I knew that was causing some of the issues (when I'd get into snow that wasn't rock hard it was much nicer.)

Appreciate the help!!

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to put a block under the front end and see if there is any movement in the A arm bushings and ski bushings. I agree it was probably the snow conditions. I would also check the skid settings for your weight, sometimes makes a big difference

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
almost all older doo's need the ski bushing replaced. I hear guys complain about darting so tip thier sled on its side and show them how much play is in each ski. about $5 for each bushing and u need 4. usually thats all you need. if this is let go it can shag out your spindle as it only alluminum. its sometimes a pain in the ass to do the job as the ski bolt often sits in a puddle of water and corodes. lotza swearing should fix it. I had to ust the angle grinder to get mine off.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had bronze ski bushings made up for I didn't catch the stock ones fast enough and well the bolt made the hole an oval so had a machinist make me new ones. And installed grease zerts.

Sent from my iPhone

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u google brass impregnated bushings for a rev.

Put some in mine years ago. Still good

from my HTC

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've been researching them quite a bit, just havn't had any luck with finding local suppliers.

Not that $60-70 out of the US is bad, just that I'd like to support someone closer to home.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya mine where outa the states.

They where oil impregnated. No lube needed

from my HTC

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went into the local Doo dealer tonight and picked up my new set of skis, looking forward to installing them tomorrow night and trying them out saturday.

Thanks for the help boys!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Our '04 rev 800 summit and the '06 rt1000 summit, have both had the ski bushings and all the control arm bushings replaced....... These are common, and cheap from your doo dealer. Easy to check the play in both, even though they are a common problem..... Also check the toe alignment on your sled. Which skiis do you have on the sled at current. Our '04 had 6.9 pilots with single carbides, so we drilled the extra holes on the outer edge and installed extra set of carbides, and it works pretty well............. Can you post pics of your skiis?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet he still had the sidehillers on.

They sucked bad.

Through big chunks of snow.

from my HTC

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which skiis do you have on the sled at current............. Can you post pics of your skiis?

I do believe I have the stock skis, #1 in the link, at the moment. I can snap a photo tonight for you if you'd like?
http://www.skidoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/ski/500c1775f87002314436e23f/front-suspension

How does one check/set alignment? I guess I could google that, save you guys some typing.

Through big chunks of snow.

I did notice some rather large chunks flying around, though that could be racked up to conditions as well.

For what it's worth, I ended up buying Pilot DS (I believe) skis as they were quite a bit cheaper for a kit than the 6.9's were (kit included carbides, hardware, hoops)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will be better.

But there is a reason guys take the d.s skis off and install on new ones.

The 6.9 skis are good.

from my HTC

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will be better.

But there is a reason guys take the d.s skis off and install on new ones.

The 6.9 skis are good.

from my HTC

04 didn't come with 6.9's. the skis they came with were junk. 6.9s on the 06 had dual carbides, liked them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the 04 came with sidehillers like I stated earyler.

I was referring to the pilot d.s aren't as good as pilot 6.9's and that's y guys with newer iron put 6.9's back on.

from my HTC

Top Bottom