registering a write off

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to have it inspected by a Alberta Government Certified shop after it is repaired. I am pretty sure there is a guide on line for what is required. One of the main reasons for a fail on an inspection is the frame must be perfect. Which is a tall order if the vehicle was in a collision. I recertified a Chev 3/4 ton company truck ten years ago with my sons who were close to getting there drivers licence. The value of he truck at the time of the write off was $3,500. It had a low speed collision and just needed a front clip (so I thought) Turns out that the truck was in another collision when it was new but was not a written off. The frame was out of square from the previous accident but it was not held to the same standard because it was not a write off. I ended up having to take it to a frame shop. Ins companies sure got that legislation worked out in their favor on that one. Could have bought better truck for less than it cost to repair it, but the kids had fun and had to work for their vehicle. Didn't stop em from beating the crap out of it though.

Last edited:

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The quad was stuck in a water hole and had to be left ovenight . It took in water and upon recovery the aluminum subframe and fender and bumper got wrecked. The dealership did my buddy a bit of a favor and claimed it had frame damage (it doesnt), engine damage (it never ran with the water in the engine) and all the cosmetic damage so the insurance company wrote it off. I repaired everything and rebuilt lots of other parts of it and changed all the fluids except the brake fluid. It looks like nothing ever happened to it now.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The quad was stuck in a water hole and had to be left ovenight . It took in water and upon recovery the aluminum subframe and fender and bumper got wrecked. The dealership did my buddy a bit of a favor and claimed it had frame damage (it doesnt), engine damage (it never ran with the water in the engine) and all the cosmetic damage so the insurance company wrote it off. I repaired everything and rebuilt lots of other parts of it and changed all the fluids except the brake fluid. It looks like nothing ever happened to it now.

Always nice to advertise insurance fraud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always nice to advertise insurance fraud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah OK yeah I just read that again and I should have worded it better. They unknowingly did my buddy a favor by claiming it had frame damage. The dealer actually thought the frame was damaged but when I got into it I realized it does not. Also when an engine has water in it the dealer automatically claims "engine damage", even though the engine was never turned over after getting water in it. The dealer doesn't really know my buddy by name or anything so they didn't intentionally claim more damage than they honestly thought existed. It just looked worse than it actually was and the cost for a dealership to do all those repairs would be very high so it gets to the write off mark faster than you would expect

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will require a new VIN (blue tag), from the Insurance Bureau of Canada. This involves an inspection, the vehicle will no longer be a Can-Am - it will be a "home built" or "custom build". You will need receipts for absolutely everything to show repairs, and the VIN tag cost was about $450 back in 2010. As you did not replace the frame, it will be under a lot of scrutiny, and you'll likely end up opening a huge can of worms for your buddy that you purchased it from, the dealership that inspected it, and the insurance adjuster - insurance companies have a tendency to frown upon fraudulent claims...
Just an FYI, the same rules apply to snowmobiles. If you install a custom tunnel (ie: VE or CR) - the machine should be inspected and registered as a custom build, as the VIN cannot be transferred. It is a bit of a gray area, but the RCMP have the right to seize the machine until FULL ownership can be proven.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you guys sure? as far as i have always known... quads are excempt from write offs.....

you can register a quad again without any problems if its written off.... check into it more... i could be wrong...

this is what someone i know told me....

that happened to my buddy, he bot it back and the insurance company would only give pl and pd no collision or theft or fire as the insurance wont pay twice for the same machine. He has a pink card that says he is insured though....

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A title search will give the details. If it comes up as "salvage only" it is considered a write off. I have never tried to insure a quad after it has a salvage title, so can't say for sure. I do know with motorcycles or sleds that there are a few hoops to jump through...

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know with bikes if it's "written off" that it game over you can't register ever again how ever if it has a "salvage" title you can register it again after a very intense inspection and a lot of paper work. You must keep ALL of your receipts and vin number from the machine u got any parts off, it's a pretty regulated process when it comes to road bikes I've done a few I would assume all vehicles are the same.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the new parts are from the can am dealership. So it sounds like I would need my parts receipt from the dealer and get an inspection. I think you guys are thinking that it was far worse damaged than it actually was. I would upload pics but I only use my phone and the website says my file size is too large to upload.

landownunder

Reaction score
I've bought and recertified lots of written off motorcycles, from my dealing with the dealerships and auctions while doing this I believe quads and sleds are basically the same. When it is "written off" it is given a status as either "Salvage" or "Non-Repairable / Parts Only". You can only re-certify a Salvage vehicle, if it has a Non-Repairable status then that VIN number can never be re-certified again - basically that frame is junk. Once it passes the Salvage Inspection it will now show as a "Rebuilt" status on your registration instead of "Active". You don't need to get an Alberta Assigned Vin, you would only require that if you purchase a brand new frame from the manufacturer as it will not come with a VIN, or you see Assigned VINs sometimes in the case of theft recovery vehicles. An Alberta Assigned Vin comes with a whole new can of worms....

I've gotten salvage inspections done through three dealerships in Edmonton before. You'll have to go to the registry office to get a form called Request for Inspection first and then you give it to the shop doing the salvage inspection. Once the bike passes the shop will give you another form you return to the registry office and they update the status to Rebuilt, thats it. I've never been asked for parts receipts before by any shops, I get it is a bit sketchy.....but the shop you take it to for the inspection has no idea what the bike was written off for in the first place if you've fixed all the damage.

Last edited:

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've bought and recertified lots of written off motorcycles, from my dealing with the dealerships and auctions while doing this I believe quads and sleds are basically the same. When it is "written off" it is given a status as either "Salvage" or "Non-Repairable / Parts Only". You can only re-certify a Salvage vehicle, if it has a Non-Repairable status then that VIN number can never be re-certified again - basically that frame is junk. Once it passes the Salvage Inspection it will now show as a "Rebuilt" status on your registration instead of "Active". You don't need to get an Alberta Assigned Vin, you would only require that if you purchase a brand new frame from the manufacturer as it will not come with a VIN, or you see Assigned VINs sometimes in the case of theft recovery vehicles. An Alberta Assigned Vin comes with a whole new can of worms....

I've gotten salvage inspections done through three dealerships in Edmonton before. You'll have to go to the registry office to get a form called Request for Inspection first and then you give it to the shop doing the salvage inspection. Once the bike passes the shop will give you another form you return to the registry office and they update the status to Rebuilt, thats it. I've never been asked for parts receipts before by any shops, I get it is a bit sketchy.....but the shop you take it to for the inspection has no idea what the bike was written off for in the first place if you've fixed all the damage.

Thank you very much. Lots of the other responses I've received have not lined up with the reading I have done on the government of Alberta website. The info you provided is the same that the government website says. I really wouldn't imagine the regulations to be as strict as on road vehicles since they don't have to pass any safety standards and such. I will be trying to get this all figured out when I get home from work

landownunder

Reaction score
I would imagine they aren't quite as picky for offroad inspections but they are still going to make sure everything is safe and functioning....brakes, steering, make sure the frame is straight, etc. For street bikes they are very particular!

Top Bottom