Register Sled?

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there was a thread about this last year but I could not find it. My question is does your sled need to be registered when you ride in B.C? I have not done this for the last couple of years and have had no issues and it is insured.We are going on a long trip in a week and a half and do not want to be the guy that wrecks the trip? I can't seem to remember the out come of that thread so if anyone knows let me know.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know there was a thread about this last year but I could not find it. My question is does your sled need to be registered when you ride in B.C? I have not done this for the last couple of years and have had no issues and it is insured.We are going on a long trip in a week and a half and do not want to be the guy that wrecks the trip? I can't seem to remember the out come of that thread so if anyone knows let me know.

It's whatever is applicable from where you are from. If you need ins/reg in Alberta you do need it, once you leave this Province, or country. You may want to double check with a registry, just to be safe.

W

woodies

think your mistakin its where your riding is what is law.you come to sask you need plates to ride public lands.i don't need to have plates on my mt sled as i don't ride anywhere except bc with it!but i do have insurance and liabliaty for sure!!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I'm wrong....I'm Sorry. But to be on the safe side. I would still check with a local registry. The laws change every year. The last time I was in the states in '06, it was manditory that I showed my plate, being an Albertan. Now, I haven't been in the sledding scene since in BC '99, when I sold my Summit. The law may have changed. None the less, and for what it's worth. I would still look into it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some one PLEASE do check.

I would like to know as well

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes ,never hurts to check but I just went though this in Nov and I guess it is a new year!
catmando!

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC has registration stickers
000_0055.jpg
you can see the yellow stickers on the tunnel. I think as long as you have proof of ownership you should be OK.I haven't been asked yet for papers on my machines nor do I have liability on them either.

Farmer B

Reaction score
I know you need it if you go into the States,they make you produce it when you cross the border. Not sure about BC,but a couple of years ago we were pulled over in Ponoka by the blue and red and we had some trouble because we didn't have registrations for the sleds. They said they could consider them stolen. Ended up alright but would have been less hasel if we would have produced the registrations.

H2O

Reaction score
Yes you do need registration in B.C. I was stopped by a conservation officer at the end of the day in the parking lot of Brandywine on Jan.11/2009.
Luckily he was just giving out warnings and an opportunity to register by Jan.14/2009 or else he was going to send me a ticket for $58.00.
You have to get it at the Motor vehicle branch and not at a autoplan agent. I originally registered at an autoplan agent several years ago and never got any yellow stickers.
Now I found out they took my money (15.00) and registered my sleds as automobiles not ATVs.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been traveling to BC to sled for 10 years now never been ask for registration until last year when the CO's caught us in a out of bounds area.
Thats a whole other story see this post if interested. https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f4/we-got-nailed-caribou-basin-5576.html
The CO asked us for our plates and out they came out of pack back and tunnel bags etc. none where mounted to the sled, there is no good place to mount them on todays sleds anyway. So out of the group I think there was only a few that had update regulation, one had the sticker paid for but not stuck on the plate. One friend was from BC and had nothing. Nothing was said about the plates they just took down the plate numbers.

Now if we changed the location and we were in Alberta and had CO from Alberta you can bet we would have been getting fined for that as well. But I guess on the other hand we are still waiting for a hearing on this issue and maybe I should just keep quite until then. :)

Personally what I do is my plate runs out in March so every two years I go in and pay it just to keep it current. They only time I really I'm concerned if I'm sledding down in Cattaract Creek which is in Alberta but there never seems to be enough snow down there.

if you were never going to sled in Alberta and only in BC I would register once and that way you can prove the sled is yours if stopped and then they can only really fine you for not having the sticker paid up. Insurance is a must though IMO

rapptorracing

Reaction score
YES! ABSOLUTELY! Your sled must be registered when in BC. this is for your own good, so that there is a way to check ownership. BC uses a permanent decal a one time deal, Alta uses plates and must be renewed every year $$$$. It does not matter what rules other country/prov have, BC must follow its own laws.

damn my slow typing

schmidda

Reaction score
Do you have the bill of sale?
All registration does is provide proof of ownership. A bill of sale would do the same.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
think your mistakin its where your riding is what is law.you come to sask you need plates to ride public lands.i don't need to have plates on my mt sled as i don't ride anywhere except bc with it!but i do have insurance and liabliaty for sure!!

I take exception to this statement....if your machine is registered (plated and insured) in Alberta for example it is just like a car, you can drive it anywhere and the plate and insurance are good (even in Sask and BC).

In BC, as stated above, there are registration stickers (required by law and stay with the machine for life) but not enforced in many areas. There is no law stating that you require insurance on Crown Land (which is kind of dumb) but if you have to cross "highways" you require a special permit and insurance and technically the registration sticker. If my machine was registered in BC (sticker) and insured it would be good to go in AB and SK or for that matter anywhere in Canada.

Trail passes are another kettle of fish.....

Top Bottom