Recession time

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, Haggis, Sick, Overkill, and Scotts, very insightful. Thank you for widening my perspective on the economy. We had a surge in BC here where Housing prices went through the roof. My husband and I bought just before the surge, and we bought very modest. A not so fancy home that fit all of us comfortably. If my husband were to lose his job I would easily be able to afford the mortgage and utilities. We are very thankful that he has his job for now and I can continue to school the kids.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This slow down kicked my ass, I own a small Oilfield Trucking Company (2 trucks) and have done next to notta since x-mas, but not stressing yet "soon" but not yet lol.....This did have to hit Ab as the prices were getting WAYYY outa hand for everything!!!....it happens every 8-10 yrs anyways, just gotta remember that, and stay on top of things, "if possible"

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do ya have a bed truck? Can ya haul, 400bbl water tank with 30 foot matting?

No, no beds just 2 hay shaker tractors, sold them both a wk ago....thanks though!........That's what I'm looking to go back to running though, a bed or winch tractor again. Just a bit toooo slow and so close to breakup already dayum!!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get my tank and matting hauled about once a month depending, and I usally get to pick the trucker. So if you do pick up one down the road, send me your info and I will use ya next time for sure. You know anyone who needs to rent some Rig Phones? I have 2 units sitting. Thanks

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks man will do, a few Consultant buddies of mine use the phones, I'll be sure and let them know, and get back to ya!

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been working for a print shop in calgary for 13 years just got bought by a new canadians in comes friends and family and they cut my hours to 26 per week won't fire me or lay me off just being f&*%^k^%g A#$(#%s

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in 1986, the bottom fell out up here for work. we were a dedicated rig moving company, in the winter of '85-'86 one of our 3 trucks turned in one invoice. We barely made it thru, my pa said we would never attach ourselves to one sector like that again. We started buying equipment hauling trailers and switched modes to serve all aspects of the industry, it has served us well ever since. Until this year that is.

In prior years when things were slow, we were always doing something. This year is like nothing I have ever seen in over 24 years in the biz...lease building, road building, rig moving, gravel crushing, even the logging sector has slowed to a crawl. These are all the things that are FIRST impacted. The trickle down effect will be felt in coming months....believe it.

When you see Ritchie Bros auction busy in these times, that means the people selling out are doing so in desparation....equipment is only worth the amount of demand for it at the time. Usually there was the Americans to come up and buy the stuff for decent prices, but not so this time. They are in the same if not worse shape than we are right now.

I'm an optimist, but also a realist. You guys that think everything will be just dandy, hang on to your hat....gonna get windy.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you see Ritchie Bros auction busy in these times, that means the people selling out are doing so in desparation....equipment is only worth the amount of demand for it at the time. Usually there was the Americans to come up and buy the stuff for decent prices, but not so this time. They are in the same if not worse shape than we are right now.

I'm an optimist, but also a realist. You guys that think everything will be just dandy, hang on to your hat....gonna get windy.[/QUOTE]

....Yup thats a fact, life is going to be tough sleddin for a while for sure!!!

Troy, say hi to Terri O for me man, also I remember going to watch you guys play in your band at your ol mans shop (big parties)...back in the good ol days that is!!

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess we could put on the rose colored glasses and pretend everything is oky doky,but you're right about hanging on. You have to be a realist and come to grips with the fact the big roller coaster ride is just about over. I think some guys are going to take a huge bath out there and some should survive just fine. As long as your not buried up to your ears in dept, the average guy will be ok. It's the guys that used all of that invisible paper money, namely equity, that will feel the crunch the most.
Personally, things were getting a little out of control around here as far as costs went anyway. Maybe now the average Joe and Jill can dream of owning a home again.
Just my 2 cents.:twocents:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....Yup thats a fact, life is going to be tough sleddin for a while for sure!!!

Troy, say hi to Terri O for me man, also I remember going to watch you guys play in your band at your ol mans shop (big parties)...back in the good ol days that is!!
lol....man, those were some good times. we would play until we were too drunk to stand on the stage....that garbage pail full of yukoflux would knock the wind out of a guy after a while. the worst part was cleaning watermelon seeds from EVERYTHING....:d

I'll be sure to say hello to Skinner for ya....:beer:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tee-Roy you are right on about the economic slowdown we are seeing right now. By this fall we are going to see the full effect of the trickle down effect and it aint going to be pretty:eek: Not even the new found savior who was elected to lead the land of the free is going to get us out of this one. This thing will have to play out and when it is over we are going to see a much different economic situation than what we have today. I have said this before on a previous thread I have been through a couple of recessions and down turns (early eighties being the worst) and I have never seen anything like this. These are scary times.

Billy Boy:cool:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to bad out ion sask.Still alot of guys not workin but still not to bad. I know alot of guythat work for service industry are cryin for work.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
I work at a suzuki dealership(head tech) and did not do any wrenching from jan 1 to yesterday. Just been reading, posting, reading and plowing and shoveling.:beer::beer::d:beer::beer:(good thing my boss is a cool one)
I am young,highly educated, sort of a workaholic(work sat,90hrs-2wks and dont even take holidays) Hopefully all those units,boats,bikes,quads brought in when the crossborder shopping was in full effect, will need service work because of the no warranty clause herein CAN. Sure it was great to save money but you have to pay in the long run.

I don't even know what "recession" is, just keep thinking of "concession" mmmmm chips!
(watch i'll get laughed at for that remark)

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a suzuki dealership(head tech) and did not do any wrenching from jan 1 to yesterday. Just been reading, posting, reading and plowing and shoveling.:beer::beer::d:beer::beer:(good thing my boss is a cool one)
I am young,highly educated, sort of a workaholic(work sat,90hrs-2wks and dont even take holidays) Hopefully all those units,boats,bikes,quads brought in when the crossborder shopping was in full effect, will need service work because of the no warranty clause herein CAN. Sure it was great to save money but you have to pay in the long run.

I don't even know what "recession" is, just keep thinking of "concession" mmmmm chips!
(watch i'll get laughed at for that remark)

Could it be that its not the recession that is causing you to be slow but that suzuki's don't break that often.............your like the MayTag repair man :d:beer: ha ha...............Maytag repair man with his chips :d

yamahacurtis

Reaction score
My job is the same without the crazy amount of overtime available. My 2yr old daughter loves this beacuse it gives us time to ride the snowscoot I bought her.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
normally around this time of the yr I'd be putting in 4 and 500 hrs a mth till springish, now fightin to get 25-50 hrs in in a mth....OUCH!! :rant:

......AH WELL LETS GO SLEDDIN!

scrapmaster

Reaction score
Well its finally hittin me now, the suits came in last week to tell us theyre shuttin our branch down the 15th of this month but dont worry noones losing theyre jobs... hahah not quite the truckdrivers keep theirs just dispatched from drayton valley now but get paid for theyre travel, me on the other hand im the low paid app mechanic thats run the shop alone for 6months an if i wanna keep my job its a 2-3hr commute a day with no compensation, gotta love big companies an just bein a number lol... regardless its a scary lookin situation here in edson 2 big truckin companies shuttin the doors in the last month an another 2 rumored to be doin the same:confused:

Top Bottom