Recession time

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard on the radio that officially Alberta is in a recession. Have any of you been affected by this? Personally, I vote we just skip the whole recession thing and just keep on drudging along like normal.:)

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard on the radio that officially Alberta is in a recession. Have any of you been affected by this? Personally, I vote we just skip the whole recession thing and just keep on drudging along like normal.:)

does losing my job count lol yes I as many of us have been affected................luckily I got another good job but I have to move to ontario............the funny part is that I just finished an Avalanche course.............:rolleyes: should come in handy near Ottawa aye :d

Cheers

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see Alberta in the red for a while... Though not a good thing. Thankfully my job is about as stable as they come, take more than a change in price of oil before I get worried!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we install underground sprinklers and so far we have had a steady amount of calls in regards to installs

so im hoping we wont be affected much but time will tell

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope! Was a bit worried but not now. About to start a new job right away, will be working two all summer, will easily be my best summer ever, will have endless hours. With stuff being cheaper then last year, it's just icing on the cake :beer:

Some areas of work might hurt this year, but there's still a ton of work and jobs out there.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We a just starting to see the tip of the economic melt down ice berg here in Alberta. I think in about six months we are going to see alot of layoffs related to the oil industry and its related industries. I know this sounds doom and gloomy but the whole world is in an economic mess and we here in Alberta are not immuned. We are going along for the economic downturn ride weather we like it or not:eek:

Britt

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see Alberta in the red for a while... Though not a good thing. Thankfully my job is about as stable as they come, take more than a change in price of oil before I get worried!

I agree, the drop in oil prices have helped our industry. I don't care if oils drops to $1 per barrel. Better for the majority rather than a few who get rich from the oil and then the trades get greedy and other businesses get greedy also.

Personally, this recession looks good on a few businesses. They had it comming. Rather than being happy to be steady, they started cranking rates so that eventually nobody could afford their services and they snuffed themselves out. Looks good on them to be out of work.

scrapmaster

Reaction score
i work as a mechanic at an oilfield trucking company, i know my jobs secure for a while yet but its gettin scary in the industry for sure, lots a smaller guys are barely holding on an most all the big companys are doin wagecuts and all kinds of other costcutting imagine layoffs will be next

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not good..... not good I do oil field maintence and as of november is been really slow..... i might hit 50hrs this month, was kinda hopin i could go to school around march 9th but i dont think we will have a teacher to teach the course i wanna take. I dont know the way you guys see it but things wear way better when oil was like 145 per barrel IMOP.... LIke the price of gas was verry high but at least i was working all the time ..... I gusse in a way we are getting what we wanted lower gas prices.... too bad this came with it .

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, the drop in oil prices have helped our industry. I don't care if oils drops to $1 per barrel. Better for the majority rather than a few who get rich from the oil and then the trades get greedy and other businesses get greedy also.

Personally, this recession looks good on a few businesses. They had it comming. Rather than being happy to be steady, they started cranking rates so that eventually nobody could afford their services and they snuffed themselves out. Looks good on them to be out of work.

Question....what do you do and how is it not affected by the price of oil

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I can get a new garage built for less than the crazy dollars I was quoted over the last two years.

We've been waiting for this turn around.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I can get a new garage built for less than the crazy dollars I was quoted over the last two years.

Yes and no the material cost is the same or more but labour will probably be less because we need the work not the "I dont have time for this piddly little job" Gunslinger will probably have their garage sale again and expect fairer prices

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and no the material cost is the same or more but labour will probably be less because we need the work not the "I dont have time for this piddly little job" Gunslinger will probably have their garage sale again and expect fairer prices

Have you checked prices lately? They've pretty much all dropped lumber, OSB, trusses all down. Only thing that is up is shingles and not by much. I don't know what you've been getting quoted for garages in past years, but I know that my company won't be lowering them much if any this year. However they are a lot more reasonable then some others. Framers are slow right now, but once it's nice out I highly except them to be busy again, you could get a deal building one right now, but come May, June it will not be much different then past years i'm sure. You could just build it yourself and save the labour money!

Curious what you were getting quoted?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you checked prices lately? They've pretty much all dropped lumber, OSB, trusses all down. Only thing that is up is shingles and not by much. I don't know what you've been getting quoted for garages in past years, but I know that my company won't be lowering them much if any this year. However they are a lot more reasonable then some others. Framers are slow right now, but once it's nice out I highly except them to be busy again, you could get a deal building one right now, but come May, June it will not be much different then past years i'm sure. You could just build it yourself and save the labour money!

Curious what you were getting quoted?
6 of us had Brew_doos 26X26 garage up, shingled and wired in 2 14 hour days. It was a package from UFA.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya UFA has some really good packages out right now.
As for the recession...my oil company was one of the first I know of to start laying guys off. I've heard alot of different numbers, but the majority seems to be around that 300 people mark...OUCH. Got my fingers crossed, might have to go back to running equipment.

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree there...last year these three bandits quoted me $2000.00 a day "cash" to frame my house for me. I wonder if that number still holds up?:mad:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I see it if the Alberta Goverenment keeps spending billions like drunken sailors in port these layoffs and slowdowns we are witnessing right now will seem trival compared to what could be happening in the future. All these so called bail outs or stimulus packages that goverenments from around the world are handing out are going to turn around and snap Mr & Mrs Tax Payer in the behind big time. The result will be double digit inflation increased taxes, yhada, yhada, yhada I think you get the picture. The sad thing about this is that the stimulus packages will do nothing to stave off an economic melt down. Stay tuned the economic picture is about to get very, very interesting!!!!!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com

wow...... time to crawl back under that rock.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personally I worl in the Oil patch as well and we diod need this down turn for 1 we needed to layoff all the useless idoiots that some companys including the one i work for had to hire so that we could keep up with demand (NOW I DONT THINK ALL THE PEOPLE LAYED OFF WERE USELESS IDIOTS) But some were. 2nd services were gouging the oil companys when they were busy and they were getting greedy and that needed to be rectified.

On the positive note, with the info that i have been presented and from some of my own knowledge i believe that the worst will be over in 6 to 12 months. I feel that the demand for oil and gas is still there and that it has to come from some where. The majority of well that have been drilled in the US have an average decline of 30%!! per year for the first two years then about 10 to 15% after that. That means that unless we or they get drilling again there will be an increased demand thus bringing prices back up. Also most oil and gas companies are still putting pressure on the field sups and production formans to keep up production or increase production in the coming year, what these means for those that dont know is that they will need to still be doing a bit of drilling in alberta or at least optimization (which is what I do)Now i dont think it will return to the rape and pilage mode it was in but i do believe that it will return to a somewhat normal price within the next 12 months. Now keep in mind that this is just my 2 cents:twocents: and I maybe be proven wrong.
Outty

Top Bottom