Recession just around the corner?

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
back in 08 I was working it a big auction facility. They stored lease returns, repo's, and I recall all these big rig rockets come in with big expensive stereo's, lifted, with big tires... It was crazy! I remember thinking to myself, if these guys would actually pay for the truck, rather than spend all their money on the accessories maybe they would be able to hang on to them.... But hey that's just me...

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those that chose to do things the right way.........Bought or invested in appreciating items IE:Land,houses.buisness etc etc...before toys.
A recession is an opportunity, (a good one) to take full advantage of the people who chose the opposite route............

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought or invested in appreciating items IE:Land,houses.buisness etc etc...before toys.
A recession is an opportunity, (a good one) to take full advantage of the people who chose the opposite route............

My grandpa always said "You can make a lot of things, you can't make more land."

He passed away before I was born but he purchased land almost everywhere he lived. It has paid off immensely for his kids long after his passing.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might not have an relation to a forthcoming recession/depression, but news last night said Food Bank use is up 48.2% since 2008, that housing costs are the biggest stress and people are choosing to pay for a house over food. Many also cited a minimum wage lower than anyone in AB can realistically survive on. 42.9% of the Food Bank user are children!

I also found it interesting that our Bank of Canada governor - Poloz - told an auditorium of unemployed university graduates that they should work for free to beef up their resumes. What an idiot. That has never existed in my lifetime! From the day I got my very first job we have ALWAYS been paid for work. What an idiot..........and this corporate backed guy, is the one who calls a lot of the shots regarding the stability of our economy. Doesn't say much.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Poloz was referring to Internship, which is normal in white collar/cushy industries in Toronto like banking, law, politics ext. Obviously no one is going to go work on a fawking drilling rig for free. But when you're trying to get your ticket to the easy life, you gotta do what you gotta do....

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Poloz was referring to Internship, which is normal in white collar/cushy industries in Toronto like banking, law, politics ext. Obviously no one is going to go work on a fawking drilling rig for free. But when you're trying to get your ticket to the easy life, you gotta do what you gotta do....

Your sort of inline with what he was "trying" to say. It sort of backfired though as then it became about how only those with rich parents backing them could afford to not work for pay or have someone else paying for their education costs. It was deemed elitist and the rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, erosion of the middle class story.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your sort of inline with what he was "trying" to say. It sort of backfired though as then it became about how only those with rich parents backing them could afford to not work for pay or have someone else paying for their education costs. It was deemed elitist and the rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, erosion of the middle class story.

I know he pissed some people off, but that's just reality. It's ALOT easier for someone from a wealthy back ground to get ahead in business than someone from a poor back ground. If you come from a poor back ground and want to make it big on Bay Street or something, you best be VERY smart, prepared to work 18 hours a day and eat kraft dinner and for a long time.. If you cant handle that, come to AB and get a job welding or something.

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poloz is not far off I think.... When I got out of civil eng school, it was difficult finding a relating career. As it has been mention, kids well off got the positions before me it seemed. My last interview I basically said "I will volunteer my services for two weeks. If you like my work ethic, think I am a fit, and see potential... you hire me. But apon my hiring you must pay me for my two weeks of volunteer work. if you do not want to hire me it is off no loss for either but gained a experience." Turns out they did hire me and I wouldn't be where I am at today with my overpaid under worked position.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How hard is it for people to understand you have to earn a position, and when there is 20 people competing for the same position that 2 weeks worked for free made a whole lot more in the end. I don't give a f@ck what university degree you have with how every many titles before or after your name, if you can't apply it in a meaningful way to some employer you are still just another nobody with a huge student loan. Nobody owes you anything you're the one that has to prove to society you are worthy of that position, so get off your a$$ and earn it!

Top Bottom