Rebellious youth

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about my boys as they both become teenagers, I shoudnt say that, one of them is 15. I wonder how does this generaton rebel against their parents. In a society where tatoo's are commonplace,kids mp3 play in parents I pods and moms and daughters compare breast implants how do teenagers strike out at the establishment. I find my self wearing logans shoes or grabbing him from school and going sledding to valemont.is it just my imagination or has the generation gap all but dissapeared, or do I have the maturity level of a 15 year old?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about my boys as they both become teenagers, I shoudnt say that, one of them is 15. I wonder how does this generaton rebel against their parents. In a society where tatoo's are commonplace,kids mp3 play in parents I pods and moms and daughters compare breast implants how do teenagers strike out at the establishment. I find my self wearing logans shoes or grabbing him from school and going sledding to valemont.is it just my imagination or has the generation gap all but dissapeared, or do I have the maturity level of a 15 year old?

The correct answer is prolly 'B'. You have the maturity of a fifteen year old.

Mud Mum

Reaction score
I hope you're right. My son is 13. We do have a lot in common. We go quadding and sledding. We like some of the same movies. We talk all the time. He's picked great friends and they're all welcome here.

I think technology has a lot to do with he. He plays Xbox360 while I go on MIMB, S&M & ATVFrontier. We both have Facebook accounts. He doesn't have my music on his iPod, but I have some of his on mine.

Yeah part of our closeness could be because I refuse to grow up....and he likes like.

I just hope as he gets older, is driving, working and meeting new people that we can stay close and lifelong friends.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I agree things are very different than when I was growing up, yet the same...

My folks treated us as adults from when we were very young, we learned respect, hard work, and reward all at the same time. We still screwed up, and we paid for it. My wife and I are trying to raise our kids with those same values, which is darn hard in todays world because there are very few of their friends that have those same values. My two oldest girls have their own sleds because they deserved them, not because they are spoiled. They both have Blackberries and they get them taken away if they screw up...They play sports, they work hard and are expected to get good grades...

However, back to what Scotts was saying, yes I love to hang out with them, include them in what I am doing and I hope they keep wanting me to be with them as well. My oldest is 14 and we have has some real bonding moments as she learns to drive. I too hope we stay this close forever...

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep honest, open, and trusting relationships with your kids and you should be able to maintain the friendships you have. I just turned 22, live on my own, but still spend a lot of time doing things or talking with my parents. My brother is 25 and getting married, and both he and his fiance spend as much time, if not more with my parents than I do.

And you gotta let em grow up and make there own mistakes, i know its gotta be hard to watch them do it, but they learn faster and better that way. If you respect them, they'll respect you. Can't always freak out if they do something wrong, then they'll never want to confide in you. Need to talk things out with them, and just remind them that your always there, whether they wanna talk to you or not. I had a lot of friends whose parents had NO idea what was going on in there lives, it wasnt a good thing.

From the sounds of it, you're all doing things right, and keeping active in your kids lifestyles. There will be a few years that theres not much time for mom n dad (mid-late teens / highschool) but they'll come back around if your patient and always there

:D GOOD LUCK

Top Bottom