Rave valve adjustment

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the proper way to adjust doo rave valves? I just replaced the springs and bellows,my manual says screw them all the way in,So why then are they adjustable, and not a fixed position?:confused_pr:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the proper way to adjust doo rave valves? I just replaced the springs and bellows,my manual says screw them all the way in,So why then are they adjustable, and not a fixed position?:confused_pr:

They are adjustable by the spring tension of the spring and by how much pressure is coming from the cylinder. When you say they screw in, are you referring to the yellowish plastic piece that screws onto the slide or the red outer cap? You screw the yellow piece all the way onto the slide and then replace the bellows, zip tie, spring, red and black caps etc. Once they are all back together, you can adjust the spring rate (which controls how much pressure is on the slide when it opens) by turning the red outer cap in or out. If you look on the side of the black cap where the red one screws into it, there are little teeth that show you how far in the red cap is, these are how you measure. The farther you screw the red outer cap in, the more spring tension (compressing the spring more) that is put on the yellow cap. Farther in means they open later, more bottom end.

If you do not have adjustment on yours (no sled listed), the "A" in RAVE stands for "Adjustable" and means that they open (re: adjust) various distances in relation to the throttle setting and exhaust pressure to adjust the exhaust port opening size.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When adjusting for more or less spring pressure, what does this do? how does this affect performance? i've never messed around with the RAVE valves before.
Thanks

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was told that higher in elavation you go turn rave ajuster out.Less compression=less spring pressure on raves to open.my On my 01 summit i turn them out 2-3 notches for 6000ft.Hope this helps.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was told that higher in elavation you go turn rave ajuster out.Less compression=less spring pressure on raves to open.my On my 01 summit i turn them out 2-3 notches for 6000ft.Hope this helps.

Yes, this is correct for a stock motor. Lots of guys on the race circuit were running twin pipes and taking the springs right out so the valves would open right away. You lose lots of bottom end this way but it opens the port timing all the way immediately so you gain on the top end where a set of twins shines anyway.

I don't know if there is an actual formula for # of turns per given elevations change (i.e. 1 turn for every 1000 feet etc.) but you can crank them back a long way. I usually go 1 full turn about every 2000 feet.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman, i may try playing with that in mcbride.

Top Bottom