Raptor 700 Transplant - 1985 Yamaha BW200 (two wheel)

big_water

Reaction score
WHY:
The BW200 is a blast in the sand but, like all other BWs, it lacks grunt. Faced with too much obsolescence I avoided getting a 350 BW engine or even the XT550 or 600 engines from that era for the same reason. For my BW200, I had to hand fabricate the front part of the exhaust. Although the result was satisfactory, I felt I should have been able to buy the parts rather than make them, hence the 700 EFI. No baby steps.

The completed bike is not to jump or motocross. It is intended for sand dune climbs (sand pit hills here in Quebec) as well as mud running. Mud runs if you don't already know are usually a channel of mud about 100+ feet long, 8 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep. These events attract ATVs, motocross bikes and 4wd trucks and of course my oddball BW200. The goal is to make it out of the hole and in record time. It looks like a lot of fun, does not look dangerous and seems very challenging.

PHASE I:
I have undertaken the transplanting of a 2006 Raptor EFI engine into the frame of a 1985 BW200. I will be stretching the frame to accommodate the engine as well as add some necessary length to the overall frame. Other minor fabrication for rad, bigger sprockets, etc...

Phase II:
This will be suspension improvements and braking. I have however, been playing with the idea of re-transplanting the EFI 700 into a more suspended and better braked YZF or to another two wheeler frame - but this is also a lot of fabrication. I have seen the work of the FatCat 450 by Mike Gould out around Glamis (UTube). There's no easy way.

I'm looking for quick help to save me research on fork tubes that are either 1.300 or 1.400 inches in diameter and that are longer than 31.5 inches - this is stock on the BW200. I need to stay in these diameters to keep the existing triple clamps. I'm looking for a bit more height and absorb capability than what I have. I have a Raptor mono shock for the back and depending on what I find for the front, i'll be adjusting the welding in of this accordingly.

Does anyone know if this has been done before?

Steph - Quyon

Top Bottom