Radium Info

cles

Reaction score
I'm FINALLY going to make it out west for my first mountain trip!! I did some looking around the net for info on Radium...couldn't find much.

Can someone tell me what elevation the riding areas around Radium are at?? What's the closest Cat dealer (just in case)?? Any other pointers for a rookie??

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm FINALLY going to make it out west for my first mountain trip!! I did some looking around the net for info on Radium...couldn't find much.

Can someone tell me what elevation the riding areas around Radium are at?? What's the closest Cat dealer (just in case)?? Any other pointers for a rookie??

If you go to forester, watch the stream crossings. When we were there it ate one sled, and I could see some other marks of people going fishing.

It follows the entire valley.

Bring your avy gear and know how to use it.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forester is anywhere from 6000 to 10000 ft depending on where u go, beautiful area, but yes watch the creek when once u oass the cabin to head back, once u realize where it is you'll be aware of it all the way through the valley, if u want an easy first day toby creek is supposed to bereal novice ridin to get used to it, they do a lot of tour there so its pretty beginner friendly. I know theres a cat dealer in golden, not sure about invermere, google toby creek adventures, they can probably give some info

tburg

Reaction score
i was at toby creek on saturday, no new snow but good place to go and get used to the mountains. there is some good climbs but almost all packed in

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were headin up there 15th of mar also, was there family day and there was lotsa snow, we only rode forester but conditions were awesome

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were headin up there 15th of mar also, was there family day and there was lotsa snow, we only rode forester but conditions were awesome

Funny because we were there on the same weekend and conditions were very poor at forester. Conditions did not allow for crossing the pass though.

Maybe we have different expectations? If there isn't 3 feet of snow I'm not a happy camper =)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We stay here if your group is bigger than 4-5, rent one of the condos. We found a guy in Red Deer who owns one of the condos, we get it for $150 a night and sleeps 6 easy.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny because we were there on the same weekend and conditions were very poor at forester. Conditions did not allow for crossing the pass though.

Maybe we have different expectations? If there isn't 3 feet of snow I'm not a happy camper =)

must have, the beaten trail was packed, but the finger chutes were untouched, once u got on top of thunder water it was pretty much untouched, and any hill u were comin down u could carve and have powder over u'r hood, it was awesome, sunday it was a little more windblown on top but the valley had tons of chutes to poke that were deep and more than a challenge to get over, but maybe we have different expectations like u said, we had a xp, 06 1000 summit and an m8 turbo, and it took us an hour to break some of those chutes, sounds like pretty good snow if u ask me

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We stay here if your group is bigger than 4-5, rent one of the condos. We found a guy in Red Deer who owns one of the condos, we get it for $150 a night and sleeps 6 easy.

thats where we stay also, awesome deal, tos of room, u got a condo to yourself, cant go wrong

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey tburg,where did you park for Toby Creek?,right at their parking lot or is there another designated area?Is there any signs marking the lot on the way up.How much did it cost for trail fee and did you pay Toby Creek Advetures? We are heading up for the first time Mar 15 weekend with my buddies wife and she is really nervous about the whole thing,so if I can tell here it's easy to find,that will put her at est.

tburg

Reaction score
hey bunn, i parked just behind the office at toby creek. its not signed posted that well but you can t miss it on the right on the way up to panorama. trail fees were $12 a machine payed at toby creek. trail is 16km in groomed all the way. when i was there , there was a group from germany that never been on sleds and they had no problems.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks tburg,You just made the ladies very happy.I will post an update of conditions after the trip.

Plattler

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I'm the buddy, and have been to Panorama skiing many times. I have a good idea of the spot you're talking about. Here's hoping the days aren't too warm for the next week.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY PLATTLER: WELCOME ABOARD..... THIS IS YOUR NEWEST ADDICTION !!! HOPE YOU ENJOY THE SITE, AND BE SURE TO POST YOU HOME FLAG/PIN ON THE "MEMBER'S MAP" ON THE FRONT FORUM PAGE, DOWN THE LEFT SIDE!!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Temps are something to take seriously - although an area used extensively for snowmobile tours and active avalanche control is undertaken - avalanches still happen there. I read in the Pioneer (local Invermere paper) last month about Shawn Hollowink's involvement in an avalanche there - the paper quoted him as saying he won't go back there and that is saying something for that guy.

Not trying to scare you, but pay attantion to the weather!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, anytime you are in the back country use your brain.
Don't believe everything you read in the paper, Hollowink was on a slope that is typically a no no, especially this year. I'm not sure if he said that or the paper misunderstood he would not ride that slope again.
Be careful of south facing slopes, the heat is warming things up and it is sliding.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No - it almost came across as he wasn't going to ride again.

What I found funny was the quote from his stating he was drag racing a guy up the slope and was in the lead when he looked up and saw what was happening - gotta get in the in the lead part!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He rides every weekend.
He has a bit of a reputation around town for wrecking stuff.
Newspapers are always misquoting people, especially the rags in town. When there is news they need to milk it for all it's worth.

Top Bottom