radiator overfull bottle

brent n

Reaction score
so was out on the weekend and was rough going and couldn't really get any space to open it up trail was littered with dead full and mud holes anyway the bike shot out some antifreeze from the overfull line . is there a bottle that attaches to the bike to catch it and run it back into the system? its a crf450f thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can rig up any small catch bottle to capture the overflow. Some people run a line to a bottle to the subframe, or just attach it to the rad. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on something you can likely make from spare items laying around your house. Just google "dirt bike overflow bottle" it will give you lots of ideas.

If you are having issues of heating while lugging the bike, maybe try Engine Ice instead of regular coolant. It is also safer for the environment if that is a concern.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can rig up any small catch bottle to capture the overflow. Some people run a line to a bottle to the subframe, or just attach it to the rad. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on something you can likely make from spare items laying around your house. Just google "dirt bike overflow bottle" it will give you lots of ideas.

If you are having issues of heating while lugging the bike, maybe try Engine Ice instead of regular coolant. It is also safer for the environment if that is a concern.
X2

Also make sure the rads are clean and not all bent up. My YZ used to overheat like crazy in gnarly low speed riding but I replaced the rads and now it runs much cooler.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched to engine ice 2 years ago on my CRF450R and went with a 1.6bar rad cap. Problem solved.

brent n

Reaction score
found them from motion pro for 24 bucks its on order. might change over to engine ice as well come spring and install a temp gauge to keep a eye on it as well

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found them from motion pro for 24 bucks its on order. might change over to engine ice as well come spring and install a temp gauge to keep a eye on it as well

I'd recommend installing the temp gauge before going to Engine Ice. Engine Ice is a pain if you don't actually need it. Don't get me wrong, I use Engine Ice and it works great for me but it is pretty spendy. The price itself isn't all that bad, but if you ever need to top up on the trail, you can't use water or you'll just have to drain it and refill when you get home. Also, you can't mix Engine Ice with most other coolants (like you might be tempted to do in a real jam) because it will gel up on you - I've seen this happen first hand.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need to drain and refill if you add water in the event you needed to. They just say it maintains optimal performance of their product to run it straight.

It's no different than any other Antifreeze. It should be run at the proper blend for optimal performance of the product.

Don't see how that is a pain. But people thinking mixing fuel is a pain I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need to drain and refill if you add water in the event you needed to. They just say it maintains optimal performance of their product to run it straight.

It's no different than any other Antifreeze. It should be run at the proper blend for optimal performance of the product.

Don't see how that is a pain. But people thinking mixing fuel is a pain I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, maybe you're right and I'm making a bugger deal about Engine Ice than necessary. However, if you regularly run on the hot side and need to run it, you'll likely run into issues if it's diluted. Since the bike doesn't take much coolant to begin with, it doesn't take much water to dilute it to the point where it might become a problem. Also, keep in mind that you'll need to flush it for winter if you're storing you bike anywhere that gets much colder than -30c in winter.

To me, these minor nuances are worth it and I use the product religiously. I'm currently not in a position where I need to drain it out for winter, but I'd probably reevaluate if I did have to.

Top Bottom