Question on Sharing the cost of fuel

hihi962

Reaction score
I've thought for a while about this too, thats a pretty sweet deal when you own nothing and expect to get your sled to the hill and just spend 50% on fuel. when I've gotta invest 60k for a truck and 15k for an enclosed because everyone else is too cheap to even buy a trailer... it's tough becuase they are great guys to sled with, but where do you draw the line?
one time I was dog tired so I let one of the other guys drive the rig.. well, he hit a hard snow bank and bent up my trailer, was still too cheap to pay for it, complaining it was "wear and tear".. f#$% that! I keep my chit nice and maintained! I was pissed.
Now the rest of the group is mad at me for expecting him ta fix it... just disapointing.

the least guys should do is at least pay for all the fuel for the guy thats hauling them around in his truck with an enclosed trailer. That would at least cover a little of his investment/maintenace.. I would do the same.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that only applies for groups that take the same vehicle everytime....that would get annoying forsure

im lucky enough to ride with people who all have their own trucks.

pretty much switch every weekend.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've thought for a while about this too, thats a pretty sweet deal when you own nothing and expect to get your sled to the hill and just spend 50% on fuel. when I've gotta invest 60k for a truck and 15k for an enclosed because everyone else is too cheap to even buy a trailer... it's tough becuase they are great guys to sled with, but where do you draw the line?
one time I was dog tired so I let one of the other guys drive the rig.. well, he hit a hard snow bank and bent up my trailer, was still too cheap to pay for it, complaining it was "wear and tear".. f#$% that! I keep my chit nice and maintained! I was pissed.
Now the rest of the group is mad at me for expecting him ta fix it... just disapointing.

the least guys should do is at least pay for all the fuel for the guy thats hauling them around in his truck with an enclosed trailer. That would at least cover a little of his investment/maintenace.. I would do the same.

Life is all about choices... Not meaning to single you out but your post was right there... others have offered up the same opinion....

My truck cost me $8K and I can put my sled in the back.... I don't use my truck everyday I would hope if you spend $60K on a truck it's not just a 3 or 4 trip a year unit.... you buy the truck because you want the truck. I have a trailer that will hold 2 sleds so total of 3 to travel and I will pay my 1/3 fuel even as the driver...

I guess I'm lucky that I have friends who will freely offer up a 3 place trailer when needed and guys who like to drive thier truck because it's comfortable as opposed to "renting" it out... I will gladly pay my share and more but most often my friends won't even accept a full share let alone the more....

In the end who pays what makes no matter it's about the friendship and comradary... Sledderdoc gave up a weekend, 2000Km on his truck and more to road trip with me to penticton to pick up MY boat.. I paid when he let me,
but the gesture will never be forgotten

I look at sledding trips the same way... My $8000 diesel is perfectly capable of hauling a 4 place..... If you want to take your truck I'll gladly pay my share OR we take mine and I'll still pay my share...

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you each have trucks / trailer outfits, then split the costs, either per trip or split the cost of each trip.

The problem is when 1 guy has the best truck / trailer combo. I have a friend who has an aweseome truck and a 4 place enclosed. To go to Revy, he has the best set up. In those cases, he doesn't pay a cent for fuel, even for his sleds. I will often buy him a dinner as well. With 3/4 of us, it isn't that much money.

I am very grateful to sit in the back, relax, watch a vid, have my sled and gear warm. It should never cost him to bring me sledding.

What pisses me off is when guys try to nickle you down to the last dime for costs. Completely ungrateful for the ride. They are no where to be seen when I am paying $1,000 for brakes or changing the oil on my diesel every 5,000 km.

It probably has more to do with attitude than actual cash that is exchanged.

Thats how to do it. Be greatful that someone is haulin your sled and buy fuel for the truck and the sled. Like you said there are alot of extra costs to runnin a diesel.:d:beer:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end who pays what makes no matter it's about the friendship and comradary... Sledderdoc gave up a weekend, 2000Km on his truck and more to road trip with me to penticton to pick up MY boat.. I paid when he let me,
but the gesture will never be forgotten

I think this is the most important thing. I am not hard up for that $20 in fuel. I have no problem paying for all the gas if a guy was a little financially strapped. What I don't like is when I get the feeling someone is taking advantage of the situation.

You always want to err on the side of repaying a little too much to the guy doing you a favour.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is set the rules early and let them all know. If anyone has a complaint they can get there sled to the hills on there own.
I ride with the same group over and over so no problems. But we do let in 1 or 2 new guys each year. 1 trip to the hills & you here the complaining they dont get a second invite.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm with Bogger. You are allowing them to take advantage. Why did they buy sleds if they had no way to get them to the hill? If you buy a sled you need a way to transport it, you shouldn't have a sled if you are relying on someone else to ferry your ass around.

You should tell them that you are thinking of getting out of sledding for a couple years and see what they say.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

As for the damage part.... I agree whole heartedly with you, I've been on the borrowers end of a damaged trailer and paid up to have it repaired to original condition... thats just plain courtesy and accepting responsibility for ones actions, if the others are offended that you want the damage repaired then maybe they should man up and help cover the damages... sounds like you need a new group of riding partners and more importantly friends...

hihi962

Reaction score
You should tell them that you are thinking of getting out of sledding for a couple years and see what they say.

haha, very true! I've done that a bit last season, started going a bit more with a few guys from work, the real cheap buddy seemed to only get to the hill only once last year with someone else.
But it's like Knee Deep said, not that I don't mind helping a guy out, say if he's younger and trying to get into the sport, or is strapped for cash, that's different and the comradory IS what it is about.
I guess I just think paying for the drivers truck fuel seems fair, if 3 guys can't cover all the fuel of the truck, it's not very nice. I know I would be more then happy not to drive, weather it's a 8k truck or 60k truck they all cost money to operate. I guess it's what I have always done, I do it as an extra "thanks for driving".

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.why is it that the same guy's always find ways not to pay, there truck is to old, won't make it etc. only bring a $100 bucks. etc i can see if ya have never been before, but this stuff costs money, at leat $500 for a 3 day weekend.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey want to use your truck, I think if it was always the same guy to use his truck, then the others should pay fuel. But if others and rotate trucks then all should split fuel. No matter what truck we use I will use my enclosed trailer because it is so nice not to have truck full of stuff and dirty as hell. Get home all clean and ready to go again.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird I never thought there was any other way of going except split it up usually we just take turns each time we stop for fuel someone diffent pays .... I hate riding with people who try and count every fricken penny who the heck care

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be the odd one out there that usually drives by myself, my usual riding buddy lives in BC and let me stay with him. So I'm not too worried about him paying for my truck's fuel. The odd time a buddy is with me for the whole trip, its 50/50 for fuel, food and hotel but stuff like coffee, snacks etc is a wash.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is only two of us when we go out. My brother in law and I. I have the truck (diesel) we both own the trailer. I work oilfield he work in a photo store so the wages are alot different. Truck, sleds and jerry cans usually full before we leave (by me). Can get there with one tank of fuel easily, need to fill on way home, couple nights hotel, food, drink, and snacks. Quite often picked up by brother in law. When he is a bit strapped for cash not a problem. The trailer is stored at his place, as well as my sled, my quad, my kids quads, my utility trailer, my lawn equuipment and when i break something he is the first to be there working on it buying parts and so on. I may pay this time but he picks it up next time. It may be different for being family but what goes around comes around. I also understand that some guys want the free ride and bitch about the extra $20 for this and that. Find your own way next time. But I would rather pay some extra and have a friend who will be there when needed then to be there with someone else who would be p!ssed when you are stuck or broken.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.why is it that the same guy's always find ways not to pay, there truck is to old, won't make it etc. only bring a $100 bucks. etc i can see if ya have never been before, but this stuff costs money, at leat $500 for a 3 day weekend.

Let's go Silent pass or Valemont, I have gas money ya cheap skate!!!! Fawk always bitching $500 here $500 there hehe I think we need a get over the Cabin Fever trip AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Fawk it's just money..... I'll make sure to bring $50 at least haha Let's go sledding!!!!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be the odd one out there that usually drives by myself, my usual riding buddy lives in BC and let me stay with him. So I'm not too worried about him paying for my truck's fuel. The odd time a buddy is with me for the whole trip, its 50/50 for fuel, food and hotel but stuff like coffee, snacks etc is a wash.
Maybe if you drove truck and worked at $ite you wouldn't be such a cheap bastard!!!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate cheap guys.....if I dont have money to sled .....I dont sled.....when I stop and fill dads sled he always gives me $20 but it is funny.....cost double that to fill.....do I bitch......no......once and a while the kid will fill his sled but 99% of the time I fill truck and 2-3 sled......I just have to work a few more days next month....or harvest that money tree in the back......I seem to go to Mara food liner every 3 to 4 days for $150-$250 in gas......$1200 to $2500 in gas every month......but when you need it you have to buy it! now I have to add in 100LL into the equation.....gas is the most expensive thing I buy every month....it is going to be easy to drop down $3-4000 a month on just gas now a days.......I need a job or a oil well! LOL

Top Bottom