Question on Sharing the cost of fuel

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our groups of 4-6 usually keep it all split even. No matter whose truck/ trailer.
We know what fuel normally runs ea trip & what the hotel bill will be, so I collect $300 before the trip, put it on my CC, if you want to go. I pay all the fuel at each stop & all the hotel bill. Get back home total everything up divide by # that went. Figure out the balance. Plus all trucks get a wash & cleaned up to.

Done this for many years and noone complains. Plus when they put money up front they dont back out so easily at last min leaving you hanging.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The four of us spit it all and take turns driving.

X2 for the group I go with as well. That also includes hunting. We usually fight on who pays for the gas for the truck, We all had to get there one way ! It works for our group.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always split the fuel and hotel costs evenly among our group. Everything gets washed at the end of the trip and although our group is willing to split that as well usually the guy who owns the truck / trailer doesn't pay for the wash. We try to split the driving but usually the diesel's have won out over the gassers. Maybe it's just me but I buy my trucks to drive and I couldn't give a rats ass about wear and tear costs of going for a sled trip. That's just the cost of ownership and if I couldn't afford to maintain it I wouldn't have bought it or my sled. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: RXN

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually do day trips. The owner drives to the mountain, and the other drives home, fills the truck and gets dinner. Works out good for the owner, nice nap after a days fun. We also split the donations to the RCMP for being in a hurry!:d

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you each have trucks / trailer outfits, then split the costs, either per trip or split the cost of each trip.

The problem is when 1 guy has the best truck / trailer combo. I have a friend who has an aweseome truck and a 4 place enclosed. To go to Revy, he has the best set up. In those cases, he doesn't pay a cent for fuel, even for his sleds. I will often buy him a dinner as well. With 3/4 of us, it isn't that much money.

I am very grateful to sit in the back, relax, watch a vid, have my sled and gear warm. It should never cost him to bring me sledding.

What pisses me off is when guys try to nickle you down to the last dime for costs. Completely ungrateful for the ride. They are no where to be seen when I am paying $1,000 for brakes or changing the oil on my diesel every 5,000 km.

It probably has more to do with attitude than actual cash that is exchanged.

X2 When we go on longer boating trips the person's that travel in the same equipment put $1000 in envelope and that is used until its gone and then more is put in. To hard keeping track of who payed this and who payed that.

This is used for meals, rooms, fuel and what ever.If there is left over fine, it is divided back up.One person has the truck for pulling and the other uses his boat.

Have found that this works the best and the same goes for the sledding , big four place trailers aren't cheap to keep maintained either .

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everything is 50-50 exept for fuel in the sleds, meals, ect cause everyone has a personal taste..... cause if someone has a beef dip and someone else has steak and prawns = not fair to split in my eyes anyways...

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the guys i ride with it works out in the wash. You might pay for breaky but you dont pay for your trail pass. You might not pay for the room , but you might get the dinner bill. Also sled with company guys and they like the tax breaks, so you get him back some other way. Never has any issues doing it this way. Sure you might get one cheep trip but the next one you might pay more. It is a nice feeling when everyone is getting dressed and one guy walks over and gets all the trail passes and just hands them out. You never know when a good deed comes back to you. It is always nice to hear , no thanks i got this one , you can pay it back when ever.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is how it works in my truck. And I'm strict as H#ll!! My youngest son and I ride together, and it's PAPPA PAY all the way around. lol... Don't mind though love riding with him and we have a good time together.. Just gotta get him trained up to drive. Then PAPPA can snooze..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always split the fuel and hotel costs evenly among our group. Everything gets washed at the end of the trip and although our group is willing to split that as well usually the guy who owns the truck / trailer doesn't pay for the wash. We try to split the driving but usually the diesel's have won out over the gassers. Maybe it's just me but I buy my trucks to drive and I couldn't give a rats ass about wear and tear costs of going for a sled trip. That's just the cost of ownership and if I couldn't afford to maintain it I wouldn't have bought it or my sled. Just my 2 cents.

well said. We split costs if in a group but if someone can't drive I'm taking my truck because hey....I'm going sledding! not going to sit at home and wait for someone to pick me up because I drove last time.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are no where to be seen when I am paying $1,000 for brakes or changing the oil on my diesel every 5,000 km.

This is exactly wat gets my goat, ppl complaining about general maintenance and that its SO expensive, and all this "extra wear and tear" no one forced you to bring your truck, I would feel like a dick if I pulled that on my buddies. But hey maybe I'm just a generous person, when I bought my 3/4 ton I knew it was gonna do some long hauls and that's why I bought it. If I didn't want to deal with the extra cost of operating it I wouldn't own it. And don't think I'm raggin on yah, this is just a pet peave of mine that just irks me.

Reaction score
we split the fuel 50/50 except for the sleds since mine will burn 20 bucks more in a day. maintenance is expected to happen on your truck. we both drive around 80000km a year its all about changing your own oil doing your own brakes. you can save alot of money when your not paying 80/hr shop time. when you look at the big picture you spent 65 on a truck 10 on a sled whats an extra 100 or 200 bucks.

dano30

Reaction score
I like to go with 3 guys in MY gas jobby and MY 2 place one in the box, we all share the cost i fill up when leaving next guy pays at next stop and so on, i use my cc for hotel then we just split it up works great, i dont mind using my truck at all.:d

Alfred

Reaction score
I have three sleds, 4 place enclosed and a diesel truck. I have been paying for eyerthing for three years. Including damage to the sleds. After reading all of your responses it looks like that I better get my family members to pay there fair share. LOL:d

dano30

Reaction score
I have three sleds, 4 place enclosed and a diesel truck. I have been paying for eyerthing for three years. Including damage to the sleds. After reading all of your responses it looks like that I better get my family members to pay there fair share. LOL:d

I think its different if it is you family, ex.. son,wife.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Made me LOL, and feel bad for my dad, for all those years I took that for granted. Worst part is he doesn't even sled anymore, so I can't even buy him lunch as it were.

inside

Reaction score
we split the fuel 50/50 except for the sleds since mine will burn 20 bucks more in a day. maintenance is expected to happen on your truck. we both drive around 80000km a year its all about changing your own oil doing your own brakes. you can save alot of money when your not paying 80/hr shop time. when you look at the big picture you spent 65 on a truck 10 on a sled whats an extra 100 or 200 bucks.

The question is why should you be the guy penalized for spending 65 on a truck 15 on a trailer 10 on a sled and have to look after it all, while the guy that didn't put out cash have the same benifits?
Our group has to take 2 trucks and it seems hard to figure who drove who. I think The guy driving should charge a buck a click, pays the fuel out of that and pockets the rest.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The question is why should you be the guy penalized for spending 65 on a truck 15 on a trailer 10 on a sled and have to look after it all, while the guy that didn't put out cash have the same benifits?
Our group has to take 2 trucks and it seems hard to figure who drove who. I think The guy driving should charge a buck a click, pays the fuel out of that and pockets the rest.

$1 a click??? Holy sorority house Batman!!!!! I don't think you'd have to worry about anyone paying for fuel because no one would ride with you.

If I went sledding with 2 other guys from Calgary to Golden, I would pocket about $400 after I paid for my gas.

I'm all for splitting costs and buying dinner for the guy who drove, but $400 is a little steep for 600 kms of "wear and tear" IMO.

inside

Reaction score
The guy who owns truck and trailer pays fuel, you don't split fuel after wards. A buck is a lot but sometimes I get a little choked when you see a guy all ways ride and on a trip he won't even buy the guy driven a coffee.
A trip for us is 2,000 km. 4 guys split is $500 per persons, I just use a dollar for easy math. 75 cents/km would be fair in my mind. I know most guys who have a truck and trailer for work would be over that dollar.

Top Bottom