Question for the grande praire guys

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the rules are for when you have to become an albertan resident?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks, what do you guys use to keep your hands warm when you out in the cold and need to have your gloves off to work?...I am referring to terminating in jbs etc.

I just picked up a pair of heated dakota gloves from marks here in pg, they look more like sledding gloves (they are pretty bulky) then anything. Supposed to be waterproof, but on the instructions it says to spray it with a waterproof solvent

I also have those white cotton glove liners from marks but sometimes I have to go bare to get the job done

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
your employer should be providing you with the proper gloves that balance comfort with usability.....

Just go pick up a pair of mekanix or snug fitting ropers

ok thanks, what do you guys use to keep your hands warm when you out in the cold and need to have your gloves off to work?...I am referring to terminating in jbs etc.

I just picked up a pair of heated dakota gloves from marks here in pg, they look more like sledding gloves (they are pretty bulky) then anything. Supposed to be waterproof, but on the instructions it says to spray it with a waterproof solvent

I also have those white cotton glove liners from marks but sometimes I have to go bare to get the job done

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your employer should be providing you with the proper gloves that balance comfort with usability.....

Just go pick up a pair of mekanix or snug fitting ropers

I do have a pair of line mechanix type gloves and the non lined ones my hands still get cold quick even with them on....thats what my old man was saying to, for as big of a company as they are they dont seem to supply much. I had to get my own drill too, and my FR coveralls come out of my paycheck

Along with the tool list they specify that the employee should have adequate clothing for all weather conditions...I guess thats what you get with non union compaines?

Doc Holaday

Reaction score
Some are good some are shady. I did a few years with Ledcor in NWT and Jackpine Mine and they supplied everything other than your jacket coveralls boots and basic tools. A company should be supplying and not charging you for FR gear. That is their responsibilty to ensure their employee's have the proper PPE for the work environment they are having you work in.

Dont get me started on union non union but there is a huge difference in company attitudes towards employees at both sites. As well as just how the company treats the employees. Ledcor was awesome to work for up in NWT, but brutal when I worked for them at the Jackpine mine job.

The apprenticeship years is a combination of actual years in the trade ( anniversary date), your worked hours, and completed school years. AL requires you to have 1800 hr, 1 year and 1st year school completed to be paid and called a second year. Then you need to complete another 1800hr, pass your anniversary date a second time and complete your second year of school to be a Third year. All provinces are different, I went through the sask program along side guys doing the Alberta program. Alberta seems much more of a pita.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm if the FR gear is the work jacket coveralls then is it ok?

Ledcor is another huge company I have been trying to get on with, what do you mean by brutal? Was the work just shitty or do you mean the moral? When I had my short stint at Milligan with houle I found that a lot of the older guys hated life...well atleast camp life, I didn't let it bother me and just ignored them but I could tell it took its toll on some of the other apprentices

Here in BC, as far as I know, we could do all four levels in one swoop if wanted and just need the 6k hours to write the IP. I have done 2nd year, however I only have about 600 hours as a 1st year so as far as URS is concerned I am still considered a first year. Which isn't to big of a deal I don't mind playing by the rules and putting my time in....I do plan on doing all of my schooling in BC just b/c I would like to be home if I am not working.

Some are good some are shady. I did a few years with Ledcor in NWT and Jackpine Mine and they supplied everything other than your jacket coveralls boots and basic tools. A company should be supplying and not charging you for FR gear. That is their responsibilty to ensure their employee's have the proper PPE for the work environment they are having you work in.

Dont get me started on union non union but there is a huge difference in company attitudes towards employees at both sites. As well as just how the company treats the employees. Ledcor was awesome to work for up in NWT, but brutal when I worked for them at the Jackpine mine job.

The apprenticeship years is a combination of actual years in the trade ( anniversary date), your worked hours, and completed school years. AL requires you to have 1800 hr, 1 year and 1st year school completed to be paid and called a second year. Then you need to complete another 1800hr, pass your anniversary date a second time and complete your second year of school to be a Third year. All provinces are different, I went through the sask program along side guys doing the Alberta program. Alberta seems much more of a pita.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am now on a camp job which is 24/4 for 2-3 rotations and then there is another job happening that will be 10/4. Since these are both camp type scenarios my question for you guys is should I keep my apartment (1050/month) although I will be coming back to pg on my days off so realistically it will never be occupied. Common sense tells me to ditch it and move my stuff back to PG but i thought id ask my fellow braapers on here

My only way to rationalize keeping it would be just incase I got a job in town b/c it was so difficult to find an apartment in GP

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of money for nothing but if places are that hard to find maybe its worth keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Top Bottom