Question for the grande praire guys

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got a offer to come up for a interview for a second year electrician position, I will be coming up sunday to start monday. I have looked on kijiji and it seems like 1 bedroom apartments start at 950....guess thats the price of living up North, anyway since I will be up for a few days and hopefully can prove myself and land a job what hotels do you guys have up there? There is a 3 month probation period then the company wants a year commitment so I would ideally want to look for a month to month type deal i could rent at for starters. But all i see is places where 4 months is the minimum.

As far as day to day the days inn on 162 ave looks like the cheapest place.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where you're working...Days Inn is near the Flint Shop; but quite a bit north from the city itself. It's a new enough hotel, shouldn't be too many dead hookers under the bed. If you do land something, I know a gal is renting her basement out..

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Company is full draw electric, service/residential, if flint's shop is anything like the one they have in FSJ I would drool over it everyday lol.

Ive seen some cheaper motels out there also, igloo inn I think is cheapest at 70/night...but with cheap comes dead hookers and no one likes the smell of dead hookers in the morning lol

I will def drop you a line if all goes well, and btw I like your collection of toys I have a 06 summit 800 myself and I'm sad to leave it here in PG

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Company is full draw electric, service/residential, if flint's shop is anything like the one they have in FSJ I would drool over it everyday lol.

Ive seen some cheaper motels out there also, igloo inn I think is cheapest at 70/night...but with cheap comes dead hookers and no one likes the smell of dead hookers in the morning lol

I will def drop you a line if all goes well, and btw I like your collection of toys I have a 06 summit 800 myself and I'm sad to leave it here in PG

He has all those toys but he never rides :)

Depends where you're working...Days Inn is near the Flint Shop; but quite a bit north from the city itself. It's a new enough hotel, shouldn't be too many dead hookers under the bed. If you do land something, I know a gal is renting her basement out..

It's out of the way, but there is a Subway close by and A&W across the highway about 2miles away.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He has all those toys but he never rides :)

Let me guess, its cause he's always working? lol

It's out of the way, but there is a Subway close by and A&W across the highway about 2miles away.

Sounds good, I will PM you once I am there to setup a meeting. Is there a YMCA in town?

Edit: found a YMCA in northern GP but it says YMCA of edmonton?

Last edited:

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never work. I just don't have enough free time to wrench on and ride all the piles of garbage I have! Whats a YMCA? The County Sportsplex is 4 min drive from the Days Inn...

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I feel like theres an inside joke im missing somewheres

Its a fitness centre/gym. YMCA Canada - Who We Are

Well looks like that company pays 17-21/hour...which wouldnt be bad if I had some friends up there to stay with and split rent with. Doesn't look like I will be coming up after all, unless I can work 12+hours a day but being service I dont think thats possible.

Do you guys know any contractors up there looking?.....a camp situation would be ideal. Experience wise, I dont have much. About 400 hours of service and some commercial work

Edit; After typing that post I realized 17-21 isnt bad for a guy without much experience, so I will still be coming up and hoping for 12 hour days

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to do industrial work, I believe Control Tech is hiring, and I'm sure they pay better than commercial.

Thanks just sent them my cover letter and resume...I'll give them a shout Friday to see if they have gone over my resume

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
17-21 is way low...even with little experience....

Hell construction laborers no smarter than the broom they are pushing start at $22hr in Edmonton and the going rate is higher in GP

should be able to land a $25hr apprenticeship position I would think....

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with Tarpon, Techmation, Surepoint,

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

I have gone over surepoints adds on kijji they usaully say apprentices must have oil filed experience

Tarpon I've applied to all their jobs online and never gotten a reply, with techmation I usually get a reply that says I dont meet their minim qualifications....I have all required tickets except fall arrest which I was signed up for next week

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hell construction laborers no smarter than the broom they are pushing start at $22hr in Edmonton and the going rate is higher in GP

Exactly, most up here just laugh and walk out the door if offered less than $22/hr.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

25/h thats sweet I want to jump on that train! I have applied at quite a few places in Ed via kiji but never get call backs

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's very low, I'm a first year sparky and making 22/hr, finishing up school soon and will be making between 26-29 as a second year.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? That makes sense with the higher cost of living up there I guess. Whats the going rate for jmen?

I'm in the welding/pipefitting side of things so its a little different, but the very lowest I have seen is $32 for J-Man up to $100+ as a contract J-Man Fitter plus day rate for truck when working as a supervisor. But most "pulling the wrenches" if you will are right around the $40 mark.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's very low, I'm a first year sparky and making 22/hr, finishing up school soon and will be making between 26-29 as a second year.

Wow thats a sweet rate good for you man, are you commercial?......I think I should take a trip down to Ed, know of anyone looking for guys?

Top Bottom