Question about Quad Age

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, Guy's & Gal's :d

I was wondering how many miles you should get out of a quad and when is it consitered old based off miles? When I took my quad into cycle works for a checkup the service guy said my quad had seen quite a few miles and the engine will be getting towards end of life. Mine has just under 3K miles and 3K miles does not seem like alot to me. I'm just thinking that if you only get 3K miles out of a quad and you buy a new one at 8k thats very expensive and just dosent seem right for the price. A new quad can be as much as a new car and the car can get 150k miles. :confused:

Thanks,

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

I was wondering how many miles you should get out of a quad and when is it consitered old based off miles? When I took my quad into cycle works for a checkup the service guy said my quad had seen quite a few miles and the engine will be getting towards end of life. Mine has just under 3K miles and 3K miles does not seem like alot to me. I'm just thinking that if you only get 3K miles out of a quad and you buy a new one at 8k thats very expensive and just dosent seem right for the price. A new quad can be as much as a new car and the car can get 150k miles. :confused:

Thanks,

This is a scare tactic...if ya bite, job done. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Are you having problems or dose she run like a top. Motors can go at 100 miles or 1000. There's lots of leading factors to engine failure. When they get tired they'll let you know :)

Last edited:

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope nothing wrong with the quad, I just had it at cycle works to get all the fluids changed. I was just wondering what should be average miles on a quad before it dies to rationalize buying new or used after the one I have now does die. Because it seems 8k is about the normal price for a new quad and if the average is 3k miles before the quad dies it seems very expensive to buy new. On a Saturday a couple of weekends ago I put 65 miles on my quad so at that rate it wouldn't take long to get to 3k miles. I have no basis for my numbers because I don't know the normal amount of miles a quad should get before it dies. I just think 3k seems low.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The market is flooded with toys of all kinds. High miles = low selling price. To recoupe $$$ spent in major repairs is useless. There's always one better than yours for less money. So if you tend to keep it for along time look after it. I just went through this selling my older sleds. A '99/'01 both under 2000 miles but were in next to new condition. Got a good price for both but not what they're worth for sentimental value :(

Toys = $$$ pit

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found you cant always base that just on miles when it comes to quads. seen some with 2000km on them and there not worth a penny beat beond repaire and some like my dads 08 500 polaris that has over 5000km and is as good as new. all depends how it treated and how it runs and rides.

revkiller900

Reaction score
i would look more at how the quad is maintained versus km's if u maintain something regularly it will go forever but if u dont well u get the picture i had a 2007 360 prairie with over 14000 kms on it when i sold it but it ran and looked just as good as the day i bought it

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are many variables that can determine quad life:

Performed maintenance ie. engine oil, air filter, greasing.
Riding style ie. hard core, humid/west coast salty air.
Non-riding ie. quad sitting long intervals between rides,.
Weather ie. cold starts, cold riding,

Also many atv's etc. have an hour meter, is the hour meter more than 40% of the total distance traveled.

The list can go on and on

If the compression is good, and the right fluids are used, then it is a mater of wear items, like..

IE u-joints, wheel bearings, seals,..

It's no different than an automobile, that mechanic needs a kick in the nuts

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good that there are two many factors to base it just on miles. I have 2002 Polaris with 3K miles and guess I will just ride it and look after it and we will see how long it goes hehe.

tvdave

Reaction score
I have heard of a Farmer/rancher in Brooks having approx 45000 km on one of his Honda's and approx 30000 km on another one.Yes that is 45 thousand km. Apparently they both run well & are serviced regularely.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
should be no problem to get 25,000+KM of a atv (motor anyways). Regular oil changes, clean air filter and decent fuel. its a 4-stroke it will go forever

i wouldnt worry so much about the motor is the components around it. Things like bushings tie rods and so on take such a beating they will be wore out before the motor

atvs dont get driven on a hiway or smoother road like a car. If it was, you would get 100,000km+

got 10,000km's on two atvs in the past, working on a third currently :)

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Thanks,

A friend of ours has a '09 Polaris 850 XP, it has almost 3000kms on it in less than 2 years of riding. It is very well taken care off and the motor should last a very long time. My Honda 450(2004) had more thank 6500kms on it when I sold it, very well maintained and never abused, and I am sure the new owner has never had a problem with it. It is not the miles that are on the machines it is how they are ridden to get to those miles.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's just trying to drum up work in the shop or sell you a new quad. My '02 Kodiak had 10,000km when I sold it to my Dad, it's still running strong. My '07 Grizz has 8000km - no problems, the new Poo only has 1100km but it is a Poo, I'll let ya know in another year! :D

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Can Am renegade is just over a year old & has over 3000 km on it.still runs super strong & smooth.
Just changed the oil in both of my 2008 rubicons.....for the fourth time......first one was at 10 hrs or 100 km which ever came first.....now they both have 50-60 hrs and 500-550 km respectively.....I do oil changes twice a year and all the diffs once a year....we don't get out riding much but the kids are growing and were getting them used to the trails.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be having a chat with the manager about this issue. This is not the way to creat good business. If the manager dismisses your concern, you can guess where the policy came from. It seems to get harder to find good honest mechanics anywhere. Probably why I try to do as much as I can.:rant:

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of ours has a '09 Polaris 850 XP, it has almost 3000kms on it in less than 2 years of riding. It is very well taken care off and the motor should last a very long time. My Honda 450(2004) had more thank 6500kms on it when I sold it, very well maintained and never abused, and I am sure the new owner has never had a problem with it. It is not the miles that are on the machines it is how they are ridden to get to those miles.

ya it's how you ride it i don't think mine will last very long:p but i do have fun got 4000 on my brute just have to fix it a lot lol

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen quads around 30,000-50,000 km. Mostly farmers. Once it quits, rebuild it, it's Still cheaper than a new one.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8000 on my 350 Honda and she is still going strong...well the motor is anyway gotta do a few repairs, replace some seals......but after thats done she'll be ready for some more punishment :d:d

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It doesn't take long for word to spread about shops/dealers with not so reputable service. Certain places come up in conversation on a regular basis and never seem to change over the yrs. A good friend of mine has his own repair business out of his garage and is busy all the time. He's worked at a couple of local shops in the past and has seen the BS up front. I'll support him as long as I can :beer: :beer:

Top Bottom