Question about dirtbike registration/insurance

st3p5d

Reaction score
Hi, having trouble finding information about registering/insuring a dirtbike in Alberta. I understand you need registration/insurance to operate on crown land (like Redwater/Bruderheim) but does the bike have to have a headlight and taillight? Do you need to have the license plate mounted somewhere? We went for a drive out to the Bruderheim area tonight and noticed signs indicating no motorized vehicle allowed, yet there was a guy tooling around on an old quad. Are the signs related to a fire ban or something? Thanks for any info!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Hi, having trouble finding information about registering/insuring a dirtbike in Alberta. I understand you need registration/insurance to operate on crown land (like Redwater/Bruderheim) but does the bike have to have a headlight and taillight? Do you need to have the license plate mounted somewhere? We went for a drive out to the Bruderheim area tonight and noticed signs indicating no motorized vehicle allowed, yet there was a guy tooling around on an old quad. Are the signs related to a fire ban or something? Thanks for any info!

I am pretty sure you need head light ,taillight and licence plate mounted ,,i have heard that before,,,as well as insurance and reg.No different than a quad or anything else

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you need head light ,taillight and licence plate mounted ,,i have heard that before,,,as well as insurance and reg.No different than a quad or anything else

And a motorcycle lic. to get isurance and reg.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

no Ray you don't....

We insure and register the TTR125 and niether of us have a class 6. on the same note the law states that you must have headlight & plate but it's one of those unenforced rules, I carry the plate in the box of my quad, or backpack if the quad is not with us....never had an issue

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put a moutain bike light and tail light on my cr and they said that was fine

Lloydsaw

Reaction score
You don't need a head light or tail light on a dirtbike, it is an off-road vehicle. It is a convenience thing to have them but not required. For an on-road vehicles it is a requirement along with a battery to run a flasher circuit (for an hour I believe). Also the bike license is not required for insurance but it will save you money.

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no Ray you don't....

We insure and register the TTR125 and niether of us have a class 6. on the same note the law states that you must have headlight & plate but it's one of those unenforced rules, I carry the plate in the box of my quad, or backpack if the quad is not with us....never had an issue

No license required to get insurance and reg. But if you are riding in a busy area or long weekend, throw your plate on the front number plate, queens cowboys and fish cops seem to push you through. Prove your doing the province just, and then you dont have to make the quick getaway on the yellow quad....

fuswald

Reaction score
Bogger,
Where can I insure my sons dirt bike for off road without him having a motorcycle license? I tried quite a number of places with no luck.

no Ray you don't....

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a head light or tail light on a dirtbike, it is an off-road vehicle. It is a convenience thing to have them but not required. For an on-road vehicles it is a requirement along with a battery to run a flasher circuit (for an hour I believe). Also the bike license is not required for insurance but it will save you money.

wrong you are required to have a working headlight and tailight on any offroad vehicle dirt bike quad or 4x4 only has to be on 1 houe befor dusk and 1 hour after dawn
it is a stupid law really but it is still the law

vuldub

Reaction score

If you ride on crown land (off road), you must had a headlight, tail light, registration and insurance. That is a fact. You do not need a motorcycle class 6 licences, however only a few companies will insure you without it. You do not need to wear a helmet (not that the most ridiculous part of the law). Link is here:
Government of Alberta

vuldub

Reaction score
Bogger,
Where can I insure my sons dirt bike for off road without him having a motorcycle license? I tried quite a number of places with no luck.
Nordic Insurance will underwrite underage riders. Your existing insurance company should be able to third party it thru Nordic, just ask them.

vuldub

Reaction score
it is a stupid law really but it is still the law
I don't think the lights are a stupid law. It's a visibility issue. I'm sure that my headlight saved me from a headon in Maclean creek - a dune buggy was flying around a corner and spotted me coming towards him at the last minute, he swerved. I have a dual sport, so it's a real headlight. After that experience, I threw my sons bicycle light in the trash and put on a headlight converstion on his TTR230.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250mark1

I don't think the lights are a stupid law. It's a visibility issue. .

if it was strictly a visibility issue the law would require it to be on at all times
it is an attempt to keep race style dirt bikes out as they do not have lights some srd/fish cops will say mountain bike lights are ok some say they are not
the way the law is written i doubt a battery powered mtn bike light would meet this requirement

Headlamps
5(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle in a public
place unless there are mounted on the front of that off-highway
vehicle one or 2 headlamps that comply with this section.
(2) The light from a headlamp must be white, and the lens and
bulb of the headlamp must be made of clear untinted glazing.
Section 6 AR 319/2002
OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE REGULATION
(3) The headlamps must be of sufficient intensity to reveal a
person, another vehicle or a thing that is at least 60 metres ahead.

Landrew

Reaction score
Re: 250mark1

Anyone know how it applies for family coming up from the US and bringing a machine?

Stumpy

Reaction score
Bogger,
call me stumpy at darson insurance or under supporting vendors 780-452-7272 i can help

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When getting your insurance you just have to tell them it's an OHV so you get a plate with a different number sequence. You don't need a licence.

vuldub

Reaction score

Anyone know how it applies for family coming up from the US and bringing a machine?

If you can prove that the machine complies with OHV requirements of the state it belongs to, then you are exempt from Alberta requirements (plate, lights, insurance).

vuldub

Reaction score

if it was strictly a visibility issue the law would require it to be on at all times
it is an attempt to keep race style dirt bikes out as they do not have lights some srd/fish cops will say mountain bike lights are ok some say they are not
the way the law is written i doubt a battery powered mtn bike light would meet this requirement
True, lights are not required to be illuminated, unless darkness or atmospheric conditions require lights.

Mountain bike lights are fine by the CO's, they are visible at 60m, so they are allowed - I spoke with the CO's directly at Maclean Creek and they said that. However, it is discretionary, so other CO's might view it differently.

I don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that the law was put in place to "keep out race style dirt bikes" - anyone can easliy put a light kit on any bike, if the stator is too weak, it can be rewound. LED lights don't take much juice. So nobody is intentionally trying to screw us with this law. Why not just abide by the law? People spend $8000 on a bike and won't put a $60 light kit on?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

True, lights are not required to be illuminated, unless darkness or atmospheric conditions require lights.

Mountain bike lights are fine by the CO's, they are visible at 60m, so they are allowed - I spoke with the CO's directly at Maclean Creek and they said that. However, it is discretionary, so other CO's might view it differently.

I don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that the law was put in place to "keep out race style dirt bikes" - anyone can easliy put a light kit on any bike, if the stator is too weak, it can be rewound. LED lights don't take much juice. So nobody is intentionally trying to screw us with this law. Why not just abide by the law? People spend $8000 on a bike and won't put a $60 light kit on?

but a light is so uncool :mad: jk

Top Bottom