Quartz Creek 2011/12

gordo907

Reaction score
everywhere is goin to be intense, dont sit on the slide paths. look around where you stop. everyone on high alerts this week. i cant believe one would think about goin into gorman. its def not a place to go when everything on forcast is red.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quoted from earlier post
[i was at gorman today holy ch!t do not go four slides just on the trail, go my sled and dads sleds stuck just as a slide came down one the TRAIL started runin and the slide stoped like 30 feet from our sleds we also ran into the grommer who was stuck lol but would say gorman is a no go lol]

Really people!!!! doesnt anyone take the warnings seriously. Just thinking that if we put a big steel gate at the trail head due to the conditions to STOP! people from going in we would still get posts and pics of the slides and stories of near misses. Only good thing about that post is that you got to come home and write about it (if that is good):nono:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was at gorman today holy ch!t do not go four slides just on the trail, go my sled and dads sleds stuck just as a slide came down one the TRAIL started runin and the slide stoped like 30 feet from our sleds we also ran into the grommer who was stuck lol but would say gorman is a no go lol

I thanked your post for the update aspect but honestly this is the scariest thing I have read in a long time and it was not funny in any way to me, I know the groomer so this hits me personally. Especially if Kelly's groomer is stuck up there, often times he grooms alone, I hope it was just a mechanical issue or too much snow and he is OK.

I'm torn between writing this next section and not writing it, just sitting here biting my tongue. We don't want to shame people into not reporting this stuff but I guess we already know the risks of Gorman so I will post it - its nothing against you personally, just my opinion.

I don't know you and I'm not trying to judge you but I have to say (just in my opinion) that entering Gorman in a time of high avalanche risk was irresponsible. Had 3 friends die sledding, can't imagine digging out a family member and not being able to revive them, or what it would do to a person if they had to dig me out, honestly I don't know if I could live with myself. Have had to watch friends tell their buddies wife and kids, can't even describe what I feel right now, you never forget how it felt at the time. I have a little girl, I could not imagine what it would be like to lose her, and if I did, I damn well better be dead already because I would kill myself to save her. I'm sure your dad feels the same way. If you and your father don't have avy training you need to go get some now and start listening to the avy bulletins and riding with more awareness, the fact that you entered Gorman and then laughed about the situation shows a very cavalier attitude and/or lack of education.

I hope other sledders can appreciate your comments though and hopefully your post will provide some info to people to stay the fawk out of Gorman right now. I also hope the Golden Snowmo Club pay booth attendant is really warning people of the super-sccary risk this weekend at Gorman. This weekend is showing prime conditions for a fatality if people continue to ride the steep stuff.

vexcom

Reaction score
quoted from earlier post
[i was at gorman today holy ch!t do not go four slides just on the trail, go my sled and dads sleds stuck just as a slide came down one the TRAIL started runin and the slide stoped like 30 feet from our sleds we also ran into the grommer who was stuck lol but would say gorman is a no go lol]

Really people!!!! doesnt anyone take the warnings seriously. Just thinking that if we put a big steel gate at the trail head due to the conditions to STOP! people from going in we would still get posts and pics of the slides and stories of near misses. Only good thing about that post is that you got to come home and write about it (if that is good):nono:
only went up to test out my dads new sled he picked up that day we were only planning on riding the trail up then back down to the truck just to make sure it was runnin alright but that ended up happening

vexcom

Reaction score
I thanked your post for the update aspect but honestly this is the scariest thing I have read in a long time and it was not funny in any way to me, I know the groomer so this hits me personally. Especially if Kelly's groomer is stuck up there, often times he grooms alone, I hope it was just a mechanical issue or too much snow and he is OK.

I'm torn between writing this next section and not writing it, just sitting here biting my tongue. We don't want to shame people into not reporting this stuff but I guess we already know the risks of Gorman so I will post it - its nothing against you personally, just my opinion.

I don't know you and I'm not trying to judge you but I have to say (just in my opinion) that entering Gorman in a time of high avalanche risk was irresponsible. Had 3 friends die sledding, can't imagine digging out a family member and not being able to revive them, or what it would do to a person if they had to dig me out, honestly I don't know if I could live with myself. Have had to watch friends tell their buddies wife and kids, can't even describe what I feel right now, you never forget how it felt at the time. I have a little girl, I could not imagine what it would be like to lose her, and if I did, I damn well better be dead already because I would kill myself to save her. I'm sure your dad feels the same way. If you and your father don't have avy training you need to go get some now and start listening to the avy bulletins and riding with more awareness, the fact that you entered Gorman and then laughed about the situation shows a very cavalier attitude and/or lack of education.

I hope other sledders can appreciate your comments though and hopefully your post will provide some info to people to stay the fawk out of Gorman right now. I also hope the Golden Snowmo Club pay booth attendant is really warning people of the super-sccary risk this weekend at Gorman. This weekend is showing prime conditions for a fatality if people continue to ride the steep stuff.
he was only stuck cause of the trailer, he couldnt pull it over some avy debris, we stoped to help him if he needed any, he also helped us when we were stuck after the avy happened
please tell him thanks for me

Giv'er

Reaction score
Planning on coming out there. Experienced but first time in golden. Is there two days worth of safe sledding out there? Quartz? Please advise. Thx.

Giver

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I know the GT race was on and im surprized that there is no pics..... someone must have had a camera or two. And Wow!!!!! what a season

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I know the GT race was on and im surprized that there is no pics..... someone must have had a camera or two. And Wow!!!!! what a season

I was out to Qaurtrz on Sunday and was wondering what the hell had went on. It was a sad sight to say the least as there was garbage everywhere on the trail all the way in and a disasterous mess at the cabin as well.There appeared to be a huge party going on at the cabin as there was big band speakers there and lawn chairs out front as well as a fire pit that had created a hug hole about 8 feet deep and bags of garbage and crap strewn about. I have rode Golden for the past 10-15 years and have never seen anything like it. i started to pick garbage up on the trail on the way in and had every compartment full before i even made the Y at km 10. I am not sure who is responsible for this event but they need to be held accountable and clean this crap up, we are already the bad guys in most people's eyes and and image like this doesnt do backcountry users any justice at all. If people continue to keep this up we will see more areas closed in the near future.

Just my thoughts

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out to Qaurtrz on Sunday and was wondering what the hell had went on. It was a sad sight to say the least as there was garbage everywhere on the trail all the way in and a disasterous mess at the cabin as well.There appeared to be a huge party going on at the cabin as there was big band speakers there and lawn chairs out front as well as a fire pit that had created a hug hole about 8 feet deep and bags of garbage and crap strewn about. I have rode Golden for the past 10-15 years and have never seen anything like it. i started to pick garbage up on the trail on the way in and had every compartment full before i even made the Y at km 10. I am not sure who is responsible for this event but they need to be held accountable and clean this crap up, we are already the bad guys in most people's eyes and and image like this doesnt do backcountry users any justice at all. If people continue to keep this up we will see more areas closed in the near future.

Just my thoughts

Sad to hear about all the garbage, thanks for picking up what you could. It was on FB last year, sounds like it has become more of a thrasher party now that its in the mainstream. Hopefully family's are still able to enjoy the area while its going on and hopefully the cabin stays standing and is respected, would be a shame to lose it.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was asked to post some pictures of this weekend so I thought I would post them in the Quartz thread.

First of all THANK YOU to all that I talked to with information of the area. Your directions and descriptions were bang on. We had no issues finding our way around. We had a fantastic day!!

Now I know why I bought mountain sleds!! :) WOW!! couldn't have been a nicer day. I recently learned a new term "Hero snow" It was perfect for us:)

875f69b1.jpg

Katie is still trying to figure out this side hilling thing so I told her hang on and tried to show her how to us the throttle and steering to get the sled to do what she wants it to do. She is still trying to muscle the sled and that just ain't going to work.

983d58d6.jpg

9cb23e5e.jpg

Then it was her turn..... She so close to getting it. I think all she needs is to get in some deeper snow once to get the feel of things and she will have it.

64905b9c.jpg

Like father like daughter LOL (I spent some time on the 600 as I just didn't feel comfortable on the 800 yet. Need more seat time...

968ff1a5.jpg

02f43c42.jpg

Some random images we took during the day. Hope you enjoy.

c26db4a9.jpg

9d6980f1.jpg

First think Katie said when she saw this picture was "I'm on the wrong side"! :)

56cdeeaa.jpg

e567a1bc.jpg

24bdf19c.jpg

f938a752.jpg

7343f1cd.jpg

f125e615.jpg

cf8770da.jpg

toyz

Reaction score
it was nice meeting and your group highfly. it was a good ride. There is still lots of snow left there. Where is area 51 there as the area I found is not very big.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats look like some great times and a little fresh on the ground never hurts.... yup for sure you could climb anywhere that day. Hope the information that I gave you helped and by the looks of the pictures i missed out on a good day
Rich

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you and Katie had a good ride Highfly :) I look forward to seeing you guys on the snow next year! We rode with one of our Jr riders on Saturday and taught her how to sidehill, she's 14. She caught on quick and was slow and controlled in no time :D The young ones learn fast...they don't have all the head chit going on that tells you 'no'...haha.

Area 51..2...3 are all over the 'Poo Stain'...to the right of the saddle when you're facing it. You climb the stain, then drop right into 51. 52 is along the ridge a bit and 53 is past 52, accessible from 52. There's some good avy potential in these areas, but good Spring riding generally. I like the ride along the ridge and looking down on the highway snowsheds on the TCH. It's cool to look up from the hwy too and figure out where you were sitting up on top of the mountain :D

Just want to add....stay out of the Park please :) It's pretty tempting, but off limits just the same.

Last edited:

toyz

Reaction score
I presume on the right of the ridge is open and to the left is the park. If you look at google earth, it lloks like a huge meadow on the left oft of the ridge. I presume this is in the park. Some one in the group went up the "poo stain" I think and said all they saw was the park signs so I thought all of it was closed off. There were some tracks tack down the cabin valley in the park, did not see who did it though.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I presume on the right of the ridge is open and to the left is the park. If you look at google earth, it lloks like a huge meadow on the left oft of the ridge. I presume this is in the park. Some one in the group went up the "poo stain" I think and said all they saw was the park signs so I thought all of it was closed off. There were some tracks tack down the cabin valley in the park, did not see who did it though.

If you are looking north on the map or north from the ridge above poo stain, then this is correct, right is open, left is park. The area to the left is called Prairie.There is a little saddle to the left and below poo stain hill, have seen tracks through here before, this is park as well. Report anyone you see riding in the park.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the snow near the staging area? Any gravel riding?

Just the parking lot was gravel. Snow was right up to the hut beside the parking lot. It was pretty soft when we came down for the day so not sure what it might be like now.

Top Bottom