Qualified opinions

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting your guys opinion on the pros and cons of the following Quads. Polaris Sportsman 500 X2 and the Bombi Outlander 400 2up.
If anyone out there is currently riding one of these I would sure like to hear your comments -- good or bad. I don't really want to start a brand bashing forum so try to keep it civil.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Polaris and that for me is really out of character because I'm a BRP guy.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Dan

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife a regular 400EFI Outty and it's been a great machine so far. It's no 800, but it gets up and scoots better than any other 400 class machine. According to the CARB specs, I think the BRP 400 makes more power than most 500's from other manufacturers.

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, thanks for the reply. I know the Bombi makes big power but I'm looking more at the ride. Most times I'll be riding single but for the times I'll be doubling I'd like to know if you need to make suspension adjustments or not. Also wondering about reliability issues.

PS --- We are not hard core boggers, just weekend trail riders.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, the stock ride is very plush on the Outtys....most hard-core mudders upgrade to stiffer suspension as I did on my 800. The wife's 400 is stock except for 26" rubber and a Dalton clutch kit and is very smooth on the trails. Maybe some other 400 owners with more miles will chime in, but I understand the engine is quite bulletproof....and the EFI is a nice bonus on the new ones. I know the Pols are also a very plush ride, but I think they weigh a lot more too. The Pol 500 single is probably the best engine Pol has ever put out....very reliable. Try to get a test ride on both and see what you think....

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two 500 HO V-twins. I have owned all brands and thought it was time to try the Can-Am's. I really like the ride, nice and plush, handles the bumps and stuff like a dream. Also handle the soft stuff better than I imagined as they are a little wider than the other brands which also makes a huge differance when side hilling. My wife is 110 lbs soaking wet and could never hold a quad on the side hill all that well, with the Can-Am's she looks like a pro. After a full day of riding she isnt sore or tired.

All in all I'd have to say they are my favorite so far out of everything I have tried over the years.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a POPO 500 and the ride and power was great the X2 I rode was a very simaler ride very plush the only thing that lead me to get away from the polaris was the rad placement I do a lot of mud riding and if I cant ride all day with out plugging the rad and over heating I wasnt happy but i miss the plush ride:( I need to get one and stay a way from so much mud

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to the Polaris dealer today and the salesman must of had better things to do than sell me a quad cause he said he couldn't even sell me what I wanted because they don't have one. No "let me see if I can find one for you" or anything. Basically let me walk out the door to buy eleswhere. I'd still like the Polaris but will I be able to get it serviced locally if I buy somewhere else, probably not.
Who has had good sevice and where?

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try dawson creek hyper toyzs is great to deal with ask to talk to dreck he will be able to help you out or high parire at herberts I belive it is called also good service.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealership is under new management and from what I heard was suppose to be pretty respectable.

Just for spite, I would have gone back, talked to the manager, and said you just lost a sale because of an incompetent salesman.

But, so you don't feel left out, I got the same cold shoulder treatment when I went there looking for a new sled.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Went to the Polaris dealer today and the salesman must of had better things to do than sell me a quad cause he said he couldn't even sell me what I wanted because they don't have one. No "let me see if I can find one for you" or anything. Basically let me walk out the door to buy eleswhere. I'd still like the Polaris but will I be able to get it serviced locally if I buy somewhere else, probably not.
Who has had good sevice and where?"

probably new you were a roughrider fan.....lol j/k

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to the Polaris dealer today and the salesman must of had better things to do than sell me a quad cause he said he couldn't even sell me what I wanted because they don't have one. No "let me see if I can find one for you" or anything. Basically let me walk out the door to buy eleswhere. I'd still like the Polaris but will I be able to get it serviced locally if I buy somewhere else, probably not.
Who has had good sevice and where?[/QUOTE

WOW KINDA SUPRISES ME EVEN TOUGH THEY ARE UNDER NEW MANAGMENT THEY ARE STILL REALLY GOOD I WOULD GO SEE DAN IN SALES OR EITHER OWNER DARREN OR JOHN THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE . AS FAR AS YOUR QUESTION BOTH MACHINES YOU R LOOKING AT ARE GREAT BUT FOR "RIDE QUALITY" HANDS DOWN IT IS A POLARIS EVERYONE WHO RIDES MINE AND ALL MY BUDDIES HAVE EVERYTHING OUT THERE THEY AGREE WITH ME THEY ARE THE BEST RIDE OF ALL GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PURCHASE :beer::beer:

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
I own 3 polaris machine. A 500 2up sportsman, 300 sportsman and a 200 pheonix. We bought them last spring from Cycle Works on roper and 75th. Speak to Andrew or Jay, both great guys.
A friend bought the white limited edition 500 2 up last year also. We haven't had a single problem with any machine so far. My 500 had over 1000km on it. not alot but enough to show any problems if any exsist. I weigh 230 more or less and I've had riders with me in the 150 range and I've never experenced a problem or any kind. I think the suspension is set to its lowest and I've never felt it bottom out.
We're not big on mudding. Well I'm not but the wife likes it. Her little 300 has smaller tires so doesn't do well in it so she'll get on the 500 and run through it on that. I keep hearing all this complaining about how heavy the polaris machines are but I have yet to see a down side to it. I think many would be suprised at how much weight they are running after they load up thier machines with boxes and gear.
I own a sea doo boat and have no complaints about brp other then their price. I went with polaris because they had what suited us and the price was right.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rented a 800 2up last year if you ride with your wife more than 1 up i would go with the 800 over the 500 for long hills the 500 will power down and the last thing you want to do is change from hi range to low half way up a hill also the hill desent on the 800 works great

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[
probably new you were a roughrider fan.....lol j/k[/QUOTE]

OUCH, that hurt's. You would think I would get a bigger discount just because I'm a fan of the Western Conference Leading ROUGHRIDERS!!! lol!

Anyways, thanks for all the input you guys. I'm going to look at a polaris this weekend, maybe be out riding by next weekend.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 sportsman polaris quads a 500 and 600. And a yamaha.
The polaris have great rides and no problems.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant comment on the polaris but a friend has a 400 outy 2up and he is currently on his fourth axle and second winch. The quad is so heavy when it gets in the mud its snappin axles and the winch bent from the load.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I a not a fan of can-am(outty) but I dont think it is breaking axles due to being heavey what size tires he trying to spin in the mud running big tires is what normaly breaks axles....sportsmans are heaveier then the can-ams.

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'm looking at getting your guys opinion on the pros and cons of the following Quads. Polaris Sportsman 500 X2 and the Bombi Outlander 400 2up.
If anyone out there is currently riding one of these I would sure like to hear your comments -- good or bad. I don't really want to start a brand bashing forum so try to keep it civil.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Polaris and that for me is really out of character because I'm a BRP guy.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan...We ride '07 Polaris 2xs that were purchased last spring from Countryside. Mine is an 800 and the wife has the 500. There are five in the family so 3 are on mine and two on the wifes. The ride from these machines is incredible. Mind you any machine with independent suspension tuned in properly will float. The only issuses we've had is having to replace the rubber seat inserts underneath. I've done this on both machines twice. The rubber is to soft and rubs against the post, eating out the center. Other than that they've been really good machines and alot of fun for the whole family :beer:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris has always had the best ride and most comfortable. Not sure what the reviews say now, but in previous years they were #1. I tried to find the info I had but the links don't come up.

IMO, you just want to make sure you are not under powered on a x2 machine

Top Bottom